Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Adventures in Alcohol Making!  (Read 15263 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Adventures in Alcohol Making!
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »
We have just started home brewing -beer and wine to start. 

We were chuffed to bits to bottle up 24 bottles of our home brewed chardonnay yesterday, ready to be cellared for a few months.    I've got a bitter in secondary fermentation in a keg right now and going to be starting on a double IPA this week. 

Just to get ourselves familiar with all the techniques and methods, we have started the very simple way of kits, but we're already wanting to advance and make things our own! We're looking forward to trying all kinds of beers, ciders, country wines, and other assorted concoctions!

We're spending all our hard earned cash on equipment right now, trying to find ways to get better already!!  We're dreaming big and hoping the investment right now saves a bucketload in the future!!  ;D

As I'm an engineer, I am in heaven. I'm already dreaming up efficiencies, organising, control systems, bottling methods, etc. 

Who else home brews anything? 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 2
Re: Adventures in Alcohol Making!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »
Sounds like your brewing is going great and you are having a lot of fun phatbeetle !  :D

My son and his friends chipped in over the winter and got a still off of Ebay after watching one too many episodes of Moonshiners on TV.
They gave it one shot and now the still is getting rusty in the garage, silly boys! :P  ;D 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 10:10:49 AM »
My cousin in the US has really gotten into home brews in the last couple of years.  He makes a big variety and experiments with flavors.  They all sound SO good!  His struggle is getting the alcohol content right - I think they usually turn out stronger than he intended.

I haven't had a chance to sample any of his brews but the rest of the family has said that they are really, really good.

What a fun hobby!!  And who knows - maybe it'll turn into a crazy successful brewery!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:47:50 PM »
We've had a merlot on the go now and I have just started a double hopped IPA today - still in the learning stage with kits, but going to get some further equipment and start on malt extracts.
My bitter is in the 'cellar' in its cask now, giving another week and will then drink.

We tried our Chardonnay and it's not bad- but we are letting it sit for a while in the 'cellar' (under stairs cupboard - the coolest place in our house) hopefully it improves with age - Fun anyways! ;D
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 56
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:17:02 AM »
We brewed in the US and it was quite a bit of fun.  We had to sell off an extra carboy or two and the collection of bottles we had built up, but we retained enough equipment to start up again once it gets move over here.

A number of years ago my dad planted different varieties of hops in their yard, so hoping those can finally be used soon!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:59:30 AM »
Once you get back up and running here Bertine, post back and let me know how you get on!  :)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 10:42:05 AM »
Good Lord my father makes wine. He uses like bananas and dates and things. We have alternative names for his differing vintages: the Weasel, Carpet, Super Carpet, Good Old Sock '07....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 09:10:50 AM »
Good Lord my father makes wine. He uses like bananas and dates and things. We have alternative names for his differing vintages: the Weasel, Carpet, Super Carpet, Good Old Sock '07....

HAHAHA, I'm sure some of ours will end up with those names as well!  We've been looking at Country Wine recipies to try. We definitely want to try a gorse wine one as there is gorse everywhere!
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 08:11:06 PM »
Homemade bitter is great! Quite drinkable!

I was in our local shop where they sell all the home brew stuff- we are becoming quite regulars, lol, and anyways, chatting with the guys there and we ended up with free ingredients to make a pilsner beer. So we will have a bash with that   :)

Started a Shiraz today as well!
You're stuck with me!

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 10:58:56 AM »
My DH does home brew of beer.  We've both gone on courses and are very much into craft beers.  The last beer we made was a vanilla stout, which was lovely.  The DH is interested in moving on to higher end equipment as well so he can move beyond the kits.  It's very interesting! (But we need a bigger shed and another fridge to do what he wants).  His pipe dream is to become a brewer one day.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 05:06:01 PM »
My DH does home brew of beer.  We've both gone on courses and are very much into craft beers.  The last beer we made was a vanilla stout, which was lovely.  The DH is interested in moving on to higher end equipment as well so he can move beyond the kits.  It's very interesting! (But we need a bigger shed and another fridge to do what he wants).  His pipe dream is to become a brewer one day.

Heheheheh! Brilliant! :)
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 11:54:09 AM »
Shiraz up next for bottling. 

Double Hopped IPA will be bottled this weekend.   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
You're stuck with me!

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 12:54:03 PM »
Hey phatbeetle, if you ever want to make some Cabernet Sauvignon and send it my way, I'll be happy to take it off your hands ;D
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 10:30:23 AM »
Trying my hand at cider now. Hehe :D
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »
Gorse wine (yeah, that prickly yellow flower) should be ready for bottling momentarily ;D
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links