Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Passed 'Life in UK' test -- next step in road to ILR?  (Read 1266 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Passed 'Life in UK' test -- next step in road to ILR?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 09:40:10 PM »
Hi again, everyone -- just wanted to post a closing update.

Had my in-person ILR appointment today...and it was granted!

Here's a quick recap of the experience for those wondering what they should expect:

The appointment was in Sheffield at 9am, so my wife and I left Lincoln at 7:05 to leave enough time. Luckily we did, because there was a bit of traffic near the city, but we still got there about 25 minutes early. We entered the building and went through security before checking in with the officer in charge of reception. Gave my name and showed my booking confirmation. Was asked what type of application was submitting and told her a SET-M. Was told that she'd register in the system that I'd arrived and that about 20-30 minutes later, another agent would call us back up.

We sat and waited and almost exactly 20 minutes later we were called up to another kiosk. There, the officer overviewed everything we brought with us to ensure we weren't missing anything. I gave her the completed application, payment confirmation form and all of our supporting documents and required paperwork (including photocopies of each one). She skimmed through and said she'd deliver these to one of the application officers and that I'd soon be called back up for biometrics. We sat back down in the lounge area and about 15 mins later, I was called into another room. There, I confirmed my name, age and details and got my fingerprints taken electronically and a digital photo taken. The officer said my application was currently being reviewed his colleague and a decision would be made in the next 45 minutes or so.

Sat back down and, of course as I was in the loo, I was called up. Luckily I came out just as my wife was going to let him know I'd be right out. Anyway, the officer said he'd reviewed my application and documents and that'd I'd been granted indefinite leave to remain. He returned all of the our original supporting docs and explained that my Biometrics card would be sent by courier within the next 7-10 working days. I asked what would happen if we weren't home and he said that it'd be fine since we'd likely be able to reschedule with the courier and have the address changed to one of our workplaces. He gave also a gave a letter saying my application was approved -- and that was that. We arrived at 840am and were on our way home by 1005am (I'd recommend arriving a bit earlier than your scheduled time since it seems applications are processed on a first-come first-serve basis for each time slot).

We left the building with big smiles knowing we can finally be together forever in the same country without issue. Despite all the time and money spent over the past several years, it's well worth it to have such a tremendous weight lifted off your shoulders. Next, and final, step -- citizenship in a year or two!

Thanks to everyone for the guidance and advice. Words can't say how helpful and reassuring it's been!

PS: as a note to kmw5's post from 18 July --

I'd like to add a major correction to the statement I made above.
I just got my BRP today, and I was going to put it with my passport. I looked at the vignette in it - there's a stamp now on it: Leave Superseded by BRP.
I did not notice that before.

So once you do your in-person application, your spousal visa is completely invalid.

I don't seem to have a stamp that says that on my passport, so I'm not sure if it's done on a case-by-case basis or if they just forgot to stamp mine.

Sponsored Links