Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Does anyone have some recommendations for books?  (Read 5187 times)

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
  • Liked: 0
Does anyone have some recommendations for books?
« on: March 15, 2014, 02:09:36 PM »
I've got some time on my hands since my daughter isn't enrolled in school yet and hubby works long hours. Has anyone read anything lately they would suggest I take on? I'm a big fan of mystery, biography, humor, poetry, fantasy and realistic fiction. to name a few ;)
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

• Liked: 12
Re: Does anyone have some recommendations for books?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »
Why not go on Goodreads (www.goodreads.com)  It's a way of keeping track of what you've read and also gives you recommendations.

I just check out the book shelves in charity shops to see if anything strikes my fancy.  Sometimes paperbacks are as little as 50p.  You'll find the sort of things you like to read:  crime, sci-fi, biography, romance or whatever.  And you can go along to your local public library and join.  I gravitate to historical novels and just finished an Edward Marston, The Queen's Head.  You get a little British history thrown in  ;)
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 05:58:45 PM »
It sounds like you have a pretty wide range of reading choices. I'll second Goodreads for finding recommendations. Or even visit your local bookshop - most booksellers would be thrilled to make some recommendations for you and have a chat about books. Even just finding some of your favourite books on the shelves and seeing what's near them can give you a good new book.

I work in children's publishing, so I mainly read a lot of YA and middle grade books in my spare time. One I have been recommending to everyone I know is "Wonder" by RJ Palacio. It's the sort of book that anyone of any age can enjoy, and I've not heard anyone say a bad thing about it. (I don't work for the publisher of that title so I'm not making anything by saying this!)
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 09:00:52 PM »
I just check out the book shelves in charity shops to see if anything strikes my fancy.  Sometimes paperbacks are as little as 50p. 

Or go to your local library! Books are free!  ;)

Of the recent newly-published books I've read, my favourite has been Kate Atkinson's Life After Life. I also loved The Lowlands by Jhumpa Lahiri.

If you like older books, some of my favourites are Middlemarch, South Riding, anything by Jane Austen or Thomas Hardy, ..... I could go on and on and on!

My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:53:46 AM »
I could go on and on and on!

There are so many. I am reading Agatha Christie right now. She produced so much that it is nice to not be dreading running out.  I think her best is And Then There Were None which is an all night page turner (but no Poirot).

My favourite mystery of all time is Caleb Carr's The Alienist.

If you like spyish mysteries, I stand by Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy as the top of the list. It is magnificent (as is the 1979 BBC TV adaptation, and the recent movie is great too).

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links