Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My fiancée wishes to move to England, please advise. :)  (Read 1698 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: My fiancée wishes to move to England, please advise. :)
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 08:23:25 AM »
Hang on, let me get this straight.

So because I am Dutch, and living in England as a legal resident, I don't have to declare my financial status, even though my fiancée is from America?

I think I literally just hit the ceiling with joy if that's true. :D :D :D

Edit: Does that mean she is able to come over here so that we can get married, and then begin our lives together with the EEA permit?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:29:20 AM by Brendy »

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »
Yep, because you are Dutch you just have to get married and she is automatically entitled to live and work in the UK. She will just need a free of charge 6-month EEA permit and then she will need to pay about £55 to change it to a 5-year EEA residence card. After 5 years she will pay a small fee again for permanent residence. She will be able to live and work in the UK and claim UK benefits from day 1.

She could come to the UK to marry you but she would need a marriage visitor visa first in order to do so. Technically she could switch to the 5-year residence card without leaving the UK but she will have visitor status at that point so wouldn't be able to work. Or she could leave the UK after the wedding to apply for the EEA permit and then could work right away. The EEA family permit is an entry visa and is only issued outside the UK.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 09:03:47 AM »
Wooowww. I just hit the ceiling. Haha! :D :o

That's beyond amazing and I can't thank you enough for the info you've all provided. I still have a question that immediately sprang to mind after reading that though.

How would we get married, either here or there, or somewhere else entirely? We would need to obtain certain visas to give us marriage rights in said country of choice, wouldn't we? Also, are these expensive/difficult to obtain?

What a fantastic forum!! You lot are simply amazing! :D

• Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 09:14:09 AM »
Brendy it is much easier to marry in the US and you wouldn't need a visa to do so.

In New York for example it's really rather simple. You and your partner go to the City Clerk's Office to obtain a marriage licence (cost $35). You then need to wait a minimum of 24 hours and then you can you go back to the City Clerk for the ceremony (cost $25). The only requirements are proof of identity (passport) and a witness. There's no residency requirements for either you or or partner and no long notice period, which is required in the UK.

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 09:20:17 AM »
I just read that too. Those prices are really cheap, and far less than I was expecting.

Perhaps a trip to the States is required.  ::)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 09:20:55 AM »
Well thank also the Founders, including Jean Monnet, Alcide De Gasperi and your own Johan Willem Beyen. With great forethought they realised that free trade requires free movement of labour - and freedom of movement is meaningless without the inviolability of the family.

You have the right to be with your family as much as you have the right to draw breath.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 107
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 12:10:16 PM »
Brendy it is much easier to marry in the US and you wouldn't need a visa to do so.

In New York for example it's really rather simple. You and your partner go to the City Clerk's Office to obtain a marriage licence (cost $35). You then need to wait a minimum of 24 hours and then you can you go back to the City Clerk for the ceremony (cost $25). The only requirements are proof of identity (passport) and a witness. There's no residency requirements for either you or or partner and no long notice period, which is required in the UK.

I can confirm this, as it's EXACTLY what I did 5 weeks ago. There's even a nice flower stall outside to buy some flowers for your new wife :). I bought her a starbucks instead.
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 12:48:32 PM »
I did not know it was that easy to get married in the US. I guess, I'm not planning to stay so they wouldn't really care all that much. :)

• Liked: 107
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »
I don't know if the laws are state by state (probably).

But in NY, its 24hrs minimum from license to marriage :)
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »
Nothing to stop us from catching a hopper plane to NY to get it sorted. We'd get a nice trip out of it too. Even if it bankrupts me doing so. :D

This has given me a lot to talk about with her.

Does anyone know (or know where I can find out) the marriage laws in Ohio?

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »
Same sex marriage is not legal in Ohio at the moment though there was a Federal Court case decision recently that may force Ohio to recognise same sex marriages from other states.

The nearest states where same sex marriage is legal are Illinois, Maryland, Washington DC, Delaware, New Jersey and New York. You'll need to research what the rules and requirements are for each state and even some counties within the state.

The good news is if you want ever contemplated moving to the US, your partner is now able to sponsor you for a green card, but you have to be married (by any state or country), civil partnerships are not recognised.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »
Same sex marriage is not legal in Ohio at the moment though there was a Federal Court case decision recently that may force Ohio to recognise same sex marriages from other states.

The nearest states where same sex marriage is legal are Illinois, Maryland, Washington DC, Delaware, New Jersey and New York. You'll need to research what the rules and requirements are for each state and even some counties within the state.

The good news is if you want ever contemplated moving to the US, your partner is now able to sponsor you for a green card, but you have to be married (by any state or country), civil partnerships are not recognised.

The OP hasn't said that whether they are in a same-sex relationship or not... As far as I can tell, theirs would be a regular marriage ceremony.

For the marriage rules in Ohio, you would be best looking at the local court house website for where you wish to marry to find out their rules.

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »
You're right...Sorry! I don't know why I assumed that. My apologies Brendy for any confusion.

Search on 'marriage licence' and the city or county where you fiancee lives in Ohio and you should get a link to the rules/steps you need to follow. 

• Liked: 387
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 02:45:52 PM »
Yes, definitely research the requirements exactly where you want to get married.  They can not only vary by state, but by different towns within the same state.  This was the case for me getting married in the US to my UK partner back in 2010.  Two towns where we were considering getting married (in the same state) had slightly different documentation requirements - one required two different documents for proof of age and identity, while another one allowed a single document to be proof of both age and identity.  While the big stuff was the same throughout the state (waiting period, for example), some of that little stuff could be up to the local authorities.

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 09:16:11 PM »
Not an issue at all. I didn't realise I gave off that kind of a vibe.  ??? ::) Haha!

Okay, so all in all, it would be best to get married in America, local to her current home and then apply for the EEA and such as and when we can. She's in college until the end of the year to finish off her associates degree.

With that in mind, if all went well with the EEA, would she then still be classed as an international student or a UK student? I'd imagine it wouldn't change and she would still be recognised as an international student as before. Is that correct?

Once again, you lot have been tremendously helpful and I would like to thank each and every one of you for your help. :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab