Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spousal Visa Questions/Marry in US  (Read 630 times)

• Liked: 1
Spousal Visa Questions/Marry in US
« on: April 14, 2014, 01:32:59 AM »
Just looking at some options. Thinking of marrying in the US. If he is over here on a visitor visa, what would we need to be able to marry? (He has been married before as have I.) Then after that, what would I need to do as far as a spousal visa? Is it the VAF4A? I am trying to navigate the www.gov.uk site and am a bit confused. I was reading through the application and saw this: 09
PERSONAL DETAILS (VAF4A DECEMBER 2013)
6.9 do you have any criminal convictions either in the
UK or overseas (you must include spent and unspent convictions
as well as traffic offences)?

Does this mean if I had a $20.00 parking ticket last year, that I must write that down here?

And what about any civil issues (i.e. a past due credit card bill where I was served papers on?) How will this affect the spousal visa application?

If, indeed, this is the spousal visa form, what other items must I return WITH the application? Is there a way to expedite the application so that I could return with my spouse back to the UK, even if it were a few weeks?

Thanks!
Online Application: July 24, 2014 Fiance-Priority
Biometrics: July 29, 2014
Packet mailed to fiance: July 29, 2014
Fiance Received Packet: July 31, 2014
* Had to wait for final bank statements for fiance.
Papers Received and Packet Mail to Sheffield: Aug 2, 2014
Sheffield Received: Aug 5, 2014
Additional Information requested: Aug 5, 2014
Decision Made Email: Aug 26, 2014
Visa Received by Mail: N/A

• Liked: 4985
Re: Spousal Visa Questions/Marry in US
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:56:26 AM »
You must prove that you have been in a relationship for at least 2 years with letters from 3 different people ( uk citizens) stating such.   Lots of photos covering a 2 year period, pay slips, bank statements, he must prove that he make a certain amount of money to support you.   Your biometrics.   You will both need your original divorce decrees ( very important)!  Marriage certificate, birth certificates, passports.  If he needs his passport for travel then you have to provide a certified copy of his passport instead.

There are visa services that can pre-prepare this for you so that all you have to do is get married and then it takes about a week for you to get  your visa and return together.

You only need to list criminal convictions-  have you been officially charged with anything?  Appeared in court?   

This is incorrect advice.  There is no requirement to have been together for 2 years for starters.

The visa services are not correct and it doesn't matter if you appeared in court.

OP, you need to check the requirements of the city/county you wish to marry in.  The requirements are different everywhere.

Right now, priority is taking 2-3 weeks and non-priority is taking 6-8 weeks.

Yes, you have the right form.  I'm not sure that a parking offence would need to be listed. Hopefully someone else knows.  It doesn't ask for civil cases on the form.

What you submit will depend on your personal circumstances and the category you apply under.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
You must prove that you have been in a relationship for at least 2 years with letters from 3 different people ( uk citizens) stating such.   Lots of photos covering a 2 year period, pay slips, bank statements, he must prove that he make a certain amount of money to support you.   Your biometrics.   You will both need your original divorce decrees ( very important)!  Marriage certificate, birth certificates, passports.  If he needs his passport for travel then you have to provide a certified copy of his passport instead.

There are visa services that can pre-prepare this for you so that all you have to do is get married and then it takes about a week for you to get  your visa and return together.

You only need to list criminal convictions-  have you been officially charged with anything?  Appeared in court?   

I agree there is lots of incorrect information in this post.  There is no requirement to to be in a relationship for 2 years before marriage.  There is no requirement to have personal letters of declaration from friends and family which are subjective and  carry no weight.  A few photos will be sufficient.

You fill out form VA4FA on-line and print and fill out Appendix 2 by hand to include with your supporting documents which will vary according to your circumstances.  There are financial, accommodation and relationship requirements.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:44:07 AM »
So Sorry, I mixed up ILR and Spouse regarding the 2 year period.  However, in 2011 I most certainly was required to submit 3 letters.

Best advice???-  Read and re-read the UK site over and over and seek professional advice. 

As for the two years- perhaps that was a little glimpse into your future ILR application- save everything as you will need to prove you lived together for that length of time :)

• Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »
So Sorry, I mixed up ILR and Spouse regarding the 2 year period.  However, in 2011 I most certainly was required to submit 3 letters.

Best advice???-  Read and re-read the UK site over and over and seek professional advice. 

As for the two years- perhaps that was a little glimpse into your future ILR application- save everything as you will need to prove you lived together for that length of time :)

Unless you have a complicated application which includes things like criminal offenses, it's unlikely that you'll need professional help. 

The rules changed drastically in July 2012.  It now takes 5 years on a spouse before you can apply for ILR.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
OR you can just rely on random people on a random site.  Boring.

• Liked: 107
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:01:47 AM »

True.

People who have actually gone through the process.
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 11:49:44 AM »

Actually this site has been invaluable to many many people going through this process.  Stick around for a bit and see the terrible advice many members have received after paying a professional and you'll realize this.  We are real people who have successfully applied for visas ourselves.  Not trolls rocking up looking to misguide people.

• Liked: 107
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »
I'd like to reflect what KFDancer wrote.

Everything I know about the spouse visa process has been acquired through this site. People who have gone through the process, each little detail about the process well documented, 99% of all questions answered clearly and concisely with links to the UKBA documentation where necessary.

Before you mock this website feel free to go through all the advice that his been given throughout the years and see people's huge appreciation and thanks from the 'random people' on this 'random site' who are now living happy lives.

I for one couldn't be more grateful
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 12:10:05 PM »
 ::)   wishing you and this site many more years of happiness ::)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 04:56:48 PM »
Daisydog, I'd be interested to know where you found the requirement to submit three letters. I did my ILR in December 2010 (granted January 2011) and did not need to submit anything like that, and the UKBA website never indicated it was necessary. Did you apply with a lawyer?
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

Sponsored Links