Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: BRP Name Change Help!  (Read 1788 times)

• A Yank in Blighty
  • Liked: 0
BRP Name Change Help!
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »
Ok I don't know if I'm just stupid or if it's because of the change over or the new rules from 6 April...

I just got my new passport with my new name and I thought I was going to be filling out BRP (RC) https://www.gov.uk/replace-brp

On that page it says you may have to replace a BRP is your personal details have changed and links to this page: https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp/youre-in-the-uk-and-have-a-brp  but that links to a page for a change of circumstances form that is only for PBS migrants.

I've found the Transfer of Conditions information at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-transfer-visa-to-biometric-residence-permit-form-toc which sounds closer (but is more expensive :/) but still doesn't mention if you have a BRP already.

I KNOW that when I was looking at it before the BRP(RC) mentioned change of name and sending those supporting documents because I remember that acronym...so I'm not sure why that's changed now?

And now that I have a new passport my time is ticking to get the new BRP but I don't know how to properly go about it! Any ideas?

• Liked: 4985
Re: BRP Name Change Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:56:02 AM »
My name change was done using BRP(RC).   :)

• A Yank in Blighty
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:42:11 AM »
Sucked it up and called...15 minutes of holding for less than 5 minutes of talking. She even put me on hold after I asked my question to check...

and she said that because of the 6 April change I have to use the TOC form
Her words were "Because of the recent change that form is not to be used and instead you should use the Transfer of Conditions form"

which is crappy because it's £107 instead of £40 and I literally missed it by a couple weeks :(

The upside? If I really wanted to pay £507 I could now do it as a same day appointment so would take the question out of how long it will take to get the new one. But I'm not made of money and the £67 extra was enough of a blow so I'll just be waiting whatever it takes.

ETA: Though I'm still confused as the guidance for TOC says:
Use this form if you are already in the UK and have a stamp or sticker in your passport confirming your permission to be here for a limited time.

The form is to apply to transfer that permission, usually because you have a new passport. This is known as a transfer of conditions (TOC).

Your permission to be here (and that of any dependants who apply with you) will be transferred to a biometric residence permit.

which I don't have a sticker, I have a BRP...but the BRP(RC) form doesn't have an option to tick change in personal details. So basically I'm just just an confused and worried I'll fill out the wrong form and waste money.

Edited again: The front of the TOC form does say "TOC by someone who already has temporary leave to enter or remain in the UK and wishes to change their personal details contained on their immigration status document or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)" so I'm feeling better that it's the right form (though frustrated all the same)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:17:15 PM by alexpkeeton »

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »
Hmmm.  I missed your update and am just seeing this.  I'm not at home but I'll do some digging when I get home.  The TOC was always for the vignettes.  And the call line often gives out wrong advice...  They could certainly be right but I'm skeptical.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 04:32:04 PM »
Hmmm.  I missed your update and am just seeing this.  I'm not at home but I'll do some digging when I get home.  The TOC was always for the vignettes.  And the call line often gives out wrong advice...  They could certainly be right but I'm skeptical.

It appears as though they've changed it and that the advice given was correct.

The new UKBA website (https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa) specifically says now:

You’re in the UK

You can’t transfer your visa to your new passport. Instead, you’ll need to apply for a biometric residence permit (BRP)

A BRP is a separate document and will replace the visa you had in your old passport.

How you apply for a BRP depends on your visa status.

You have permission to stay in the UK temporarily (‘leave to remain’)

You can transfer your visa to a BRP by applying for a ‘transfer of conditions’ (TOC).

Use the guidance and the ‘TOC’ form to apply.

You’ll need to either:

-    post your form with the fee (use the address on the form)
-    book an appointment and apply in person

You have permission to settle (‘indefinite leave to remain’)

You can transfer your visa to a BRP by applying for a ‘no time limit stamp’ (NTL).

Use the guidance and the ‘NTL’ form to apply.

You then should either:
-    post it with the fee (use the address on the form)
-    book an appointment and apply in person

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 08:13:20 PM »
It appears as though they've changed it and that the advice given was correct.

The new UKBA website (https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa) specifically says now:

Yup, you're right (as always). I'm home now and followed all the links and it's definitely the new route for a name change.  The quote Alex had included seemed "off" when isolated as she has a BRP and not a vignette.

I am glad to see the option to do it as a premium appointment.  While the cost is expensive, as least there is the option.

• A Yank in Blighty
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:31:07 AM »
Thanks for double checking. My post is a bit all over the place/freak-out...though I had come to the conclusion it was the right form in the midst of that, it is nice to see you guys have read it the same.

I agree that I'm glad to see the in person option (though I will not be taking it as it enough of an adjustment to pay £107 when I planned for the £40!).

I'll be submitting this probably pretty soon after my next pay day so will report back on how it goes/how long it takes via mail!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab