Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Time it takes to become a citizen  (Read 685 times)

• Liked: 2
Time it takes to become a citizen
« on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:30 PM »
Alright, this is one of those questions I've tried to answer via Google, but the information I find is wildly inconsistent, soooo...

I got married in late October 2012 and my visa was issued at the end of December, and I've been in the UK ever since. For me to become a dual citizen and get a British passport, will I have to wait 3 years or 5?

Thank you!  :)

• Liked: 387
Re: Time it takes to become a citizen
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »
The requirement for citizenship as a spouse of a UKC is being resident in the UK for 3 years and having ILR.

Under the old rules, when you could apply for ILR after 2 years on a spouse visa, the time to citizenship was typically 3 years for most people:  2 years on the spouse visa + 1 year ILR.  If you were already in the UK on a fiance(e) visa, student, visitor, etc - you could apply for citizenship sooner.

Under the new rules, since it now takes 5 years to qualify for ILR, you have to wait until you have ILR to apply for citizenship, but once you have ILR, you could apply for citizenship immediately since you've already accumulated the necessary 3 years UK residence.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »
I really want to be the same nationality as my husband and it appears it will take longer than the three years it should.

I called the help line and was told that I had to have been "clear of immigration restrictions for a year before applying for citizenship." I was told that meant getting my ILR (received Feb 2014) so I couldn't apply until a year after I received that (Feb 2015). Is this true? Shouldn't I be eligible now (3 years) as opposed to Feb 2015 which would be 4 years?

Moved to UK in Jan 2011 on visitor visa
Returned to USA in July 2011 to get Fiance Visa
Received Fiance Visa and returned to UK Aug 2011
Married Sep 2011
Received FLR October 2011
Applied for ILR October 2013
Received ILR Feb 2014

Thank you for your time and input!
Met online: Feb 2010
Met in person: Sept 2010
6 month Visitor Visa granted: Jan 2011
Engaged: June 6th 2011
Fiance Visa granted: July 2011
Married: Sept 2011
FLR(m) granted: Nov 2011
ILR granted: Feb 2014

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:54:46 PM »
No, it's not true.

If you are married to a UK citizen, you do NOT have to be free from immigration restrictions for 1 year before applying. All you need is to hold ILR, show you were physically in the UK 3 years prior to applying and not have been outside the UK for more than 270 days in the 3 years.

For everyone else not married to a UK citizen, it's 5 years for citizenship AND you must have held ILR for 12 months.... So 6 years in the UK in total, as it takes 5 years to get ILR (under the new rules for settlement visas, it's 5 years to ILR and then citizenship immediately after).

For you, AntandAmy, you should be able to qualify for citizenship right now as long as you can prove you were in the UK on the date in 2011 that you apply.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:56:21 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 01:13:22 PM »
Thank you!

I told the guy on the helpline that I was married and I didn't understand what "immigration time restrictions" meant. Apparently he didn't either.

I think he misunderstood this part from page 6 of the Naturalisation Booklet,
"If you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you will need to be free from immigration time restrictions on the date you make your application.
If you are not married to or the civil partner of a British citizen you should have been free of immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months of the 5 year qualifying period."

Fantastic! I am working on the application now! I would have waited a year if I hadn't bothered looking here, asking, and you answering! Thank you!
Met online: Feb 2010
Met in person: Sept 2010
6 month Visitor Visa granted: Jan 2011
Engaged: June 6th 2011
Fiance Visa granted: July 2011
Married: Sept 2011
FLR(m) granted: Nov 2011
ILR granted: Feb 2014

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab