Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: first post from a newbie  (Read 1021 times)

• Liked: 0
first post from a newbie
« on: November 01, 2004, 12:47:04 AM »
Hi everyone! (some of you might recognize me over from brits_americans on lj but anyway).

Here's the deal. I've spent January 18 to June 8 of this year in the UK, studying at Leeds. I also spent July 22 to Aug 9 there to participate in an academic conference. I was NOT given a student visa for my long stay there, as I was not going to be there for 6 months or longer. I have a plane ticket to return to Leeds for 9 days on the 19th to a) visit my boyfriend b)visit the rest of my friends, and c)visit a few UK schools I'm considering attending for postgraduate study. I just found out there's something called a "prospective student" visa?!?! I didn't even know about this, and it's obviously too late for me to apply for such a thing. Am I going to get refused entry into the UK in a few weeks? I plan on bringing:

-My NUS ID from my time at Leeds
-My Penn State ID to show I am still an American student
-My flight itinerary (I purchased an e-ticket via Expedia.com, so I won't have an actual ticket) showing that I intend to return.

I've also heard that bringing a copy of your bank statement or apartment lease is a good thing? This may sound idiotic, but what do people mean by "copy"? Obviously a Xerox will not work. I got grilled last time I was there in July since I was returning to the country so soon, and since this will be my THIRD time visiting the country within a year, I'm really, really REALLY nervous about being refused entry and I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I leave.  I plan on telling the immigration officer that I'm there to visit friends and look at schools, and obviously leave out the boyfriend bit, as that will spell death to any chance of my getting in. I'm just worried because I'm thinking maybe I should have this prospective student visa thing, and I don't.... :(

• Journal
Re: first post from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 09:02:54 AM »
Yeesh.  Sounds like you've got a good chance of being denied entry, especially considering you were grilled so much last time.  You've already overstayed the allowed 6 months-per-year rule for Americans in the UK.  Is there any way you can make it to your local Consulate to apply for the prospective student visa?  (Would be either NYC, chicago, or LA.)  I would suggest phoning the Consulate immediately and seeing what they say.  It's 2 1/2 weeks till the 19th, you *might* be able to get the visa issued by post.  Call them and see what they say.  Best of luck to you. 
"I will do this.  Nothing in my life matters except this.  I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment."  -Raistlin Majere

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 04:45:01 PM »
I don't think I've overstayed the six months yet....January 18 to June 8 is actually just shy of five months, and I didn't think that the rest of the trip would put me over...

• Journal
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 06:29:02 PM »
I don't think I've overstayed the six months yet....January 18 to June 8 is actually just shy of five months, and I didn't think that the rest of the trip would put me over...

Guh....that's what I get for reading posts before I've had my breakfast.  Sorry bout that, I was reading it as January to July.  You might be ok, but a lot of it just depends on the IO you get and what kind of mood they're in, unfortunately.  I'd still advise calling the Consulate and seeing if they want you to get a prospective student visa. 
"I will do this.  Nothing in my life matters except this.  I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment."  -Raistlin Majere

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 06:38:15 PM »
Yeah, I know, that's what I'm worried about. People have suggested getting an official letter from my home university saying I am a full-time student here, as well as one from my landlord saying when my lease expires.

I think I'm going to try and apply for that prospective student visa and then just hitch a ride to NY and apply in person so I don't press my luck with timing issues. I just wish I could get through to the damned consulate to find out for sure what I need as far as documentation, etc. is concerned.

I know it all hinges on whether I have an a**hole IO who thinks I'm here to work, even though I was here for legitimate reasons both times previously. ???

And that's what pisses me off.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 06:46:11 PM »
Yeah, I know, that's what I'm worried about. People have suggested getting an official letter from my home university saying I am a full-time student here, as well as one from my landlord saying when my lease expires.

I think I'm going to try and apply for that prospective student visa and then just hitch a ride to NY and apply in person so I don't press my luck with timing issues. I just wish I could get through to the damned consulate to find out for sure what I need as far as documentation, etc. is concerned.

I know it all hinges on whether I have an a**hole IO who thinks I'm here to work, even though I was here for legitimate reasons both times previously. ???

And that's what pisses me off.

Just keep a cool head and you'll get through it fine.

And Leeds, eh. Nice one. I live in the Hyde Park area. Hubby works at Leeds Uni. I love Leeds. It's home.  :)
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 06:50:13 PM »
This may sound idiotic, but what do people mean by "copy"? Obviously a Xerox will not work.

When I went to the home office for my visa last month I was told that a bank statement needed to be the original one that was mailed to your house. Or if you print your statements off the internet, you need to take the print-out to your bank and have them stamped as being authentic..... If the document is something like a birth certificate and it's a xerox, it has to be stamped and signed as a legitimate copy (one made by someone official - not by you.)

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 06:53:35 PM »
Thanks for telling me how to get statements validated.

And yeah, my boyfriend and friends live near Hyde Park--when I was there though I lived way up in Far Headingley, pain to get to classes, blargh.

I really think I may throw up. :\\\'(

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 06:55:23 PM »
I really think I may throw up. :\\\'(

Aww, try not to upset yourself about it. England will always be here.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 10:07:47 PM »
Yeah, deep down I know that. But I haven't seen Anthony since June (except for 2 days during my stay in July) and I've been looking forward to this visit for so long, and I miss him terribly.

He's going to try and call the Home Office tomorrow, see if he has any better luck on the UK end.

Sponsored Links