Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR application - SET(M) or FLR(M)? and other questions  (Read 4435 times)

• Liked: 3595
Re: ILR application - SET(M) or FLR(M)? and other questions
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »
hi,

About the timing of the appointment, if I have my in-person appointment prior to my landing date of 3 July, would the "you must have completed 2 years' leave" requirement have been met? The Guidelines say you may apply once 'nearing completion' of the 2-yr qualifying rule. Would 30 June, 3 days shy of my 2 full years, be OK?

Yes, you can apply up to 28 days before your 2 full years are up.

Re: the passport-style photos, must they be within a certain timeframe of application? Husband had passport pics taken last year for his passport renewal. Can we use one?

Not sure - for my US visas, they had to have been taken within 6 months, but I don't know if this is also the case for UK visas.

Are birth certificates required?

No.

Are copies of the app or supporting documents required?

Don't think so, but you might want to take them anyway.

Hopefully someone else who has applied in person recently can clarify.

Finances: I can easily include UK bank statements. There will be at least one entry of a large sum being transferred into the account, where I transferred money from my US savings. If I mention "periodic draws from US savings" in Section 8, or if the clerk examines my UK bank statements and wonders where the money came from, would that automatically mean I should have included my US bank statements? I only have 1 month's originals from the last 6 months, so would love to avoid needing to order certified sets/delaying the appt.

No idea, to be honest.

You could just not include any of your UK or your US bank statements and then it won't be an issue at all.

Otherwise, include the UK bank statements and have the copies of the US bank statements available.

Remember, as you are applying in person, you can just bring everything with you anyway and can therefore easily pull it out if they do ask for it after all.

I say Husband's income meets all requirements, but now I'm paranoid - his monthly salary is 2122 starting in May when he had a raise; 100 less than that previously. Is that a believable amount to support 2 adults and 2 children (half the time) in the Southeast?  ???

Well, there's no official minimum income requirement for ILR under the old rules and I have never seen one refused because of finances... even when neither of the couple was employed and they were living off the UK spouse's benefits.

As a rule of thumb though, you should be able to show that you have at least the amount left over (after rent and council tax) that a UK family on income support would receive each week from the government.

This amount is £113.70 for a couple, plus £66.33 per child that lives with you, per week.

So, including the children, you need to show that after paying rent and council tax, you have at least £1067.56 left over each month... before all other expenses.

Not including the children (where is their full-time home?) then you only need £492.70 per month left over after rent and council tax.

British Diplomatic posting of where biometrics were taken - ?? I had fingerprints/iris scan done at the USCIS in my area as part of my spouse visa application. Is that office a 'British embassy posting'?

For these questions, you give:

Question 8: the date your biometrics were taken
Question 9: the address of the local USCIS center where you had the biometrics taken
Question 10: the address of the UKBA consulate that processed the visa (presumably NYC).

Biometric permit - I haven't got one, bc one wasn't issued to me under the old rules. Does this sound right?

No, you won't have one, although that's nothing to do with the old or new rules. Biometrics permits are only issued for visas that are applied for inside the UK.

Your first visa was issued in the US, so it is a sticker in your passport and you do not have a BRP.

Your ILR will be issued in the UK, therefore there will be no sticker in your passport and your visa will be issued as a BRP card.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »
If I paid for an in-person appointment and am bringing in the Payment Details printout and Application Payment sheet, do I still need to fill in the Payment Details page (page 4) of the SET(M) form itself?

that's just for people who are mailing in their application, right?

• Liked: 223
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
If I paid for an in-person appointment and am bringing in the Payment Details printout and Application Payment sheet, do I still need to fill in the Payment Details page (page 4) of the SET(M) form itself?

that's just for people who are mailing in their application, right?

The forms have definitely been changed since I applied for FLR in Dec 2012, but we did not fill out the payment details form and when we got there, they made us step aside and fill it out even though we were paying in person.  ::)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 01:28:11 PM »
Ugh, that's what I suspected - let's hope that common sense comes into play at some point and they let me keep the sheet before handing the app in...paying once for the application is certainly enough for me. Thanks for the quick reply!

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 06:01:24 PM »
Ugh, that's what I suspected - let's hope that common sense comes into play at some point and they let me keep the sheet before handing the app in...paying once for the application is certainly enough for me. Thanks for the quick reply!

Things have changed since 2012 though. Have you paid the full amount of the visa already (£1,001)?

When Travelingfrog applied for FLR, you paid for the visa in person at the appointment, but now I believe you have to pay for the visa in full when you book the appointment... so you may not need to fill out the payment details as you will have already paid for it.

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 06:47:21 PM »
Things have changed since 2012 though. Have you paid the full amount of the visa already (£1,001)?

When Travelingfrog applied for FLR, you paid for the visa in person at the appointment, but now I believe you have to pay for the visa in full when you book the appointment... so you may not need to fill out the payment details as you will have already paid for it.

Do you pay for the whole visa when you book now or just the non-refundable deposit?

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »
Do you pay for the whole visa when you book now or just the non-refundable deposit?

That's just what I've been trying to find out, actually - which is partly why I asked alitally if they paid the full fee online.

I know that for ILR you have to pay the entire visa fee when you book the appointment (£1,493).

On the UKVI pages for FLR(M), it says you have to pay the £400 premium service fee when you book online, but doesn't actually clarify if you have to pay the £601 visa fee at that time as well.

Actually, just looking, it also says the same thing on the ILR pages and you have to pay the full fee when you book for ILR, so I would imagine it's the same for FLR(M).

Plus, on the FLR(M) application form it says:
Applications can be made in person at a Premium Service Centre for a same day consideration of your application. There is an additional fee for this service and all fees will be taken when you book an appointment.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
I'm so sorry, I didn't see these replies until just now.

I'm applying for ILR under SET(M), and when I booked the premium appointment online, I had to pay the full amount (1400-odd pounds). I'm bringing in the printed receipt and confirmation of the appointment.

Just to be on the safe side, I went ahead and filled out the credit card payment sheet, but wrote on it that I'd paid online and to see the attached proof of payment. My hope is that they'll at least look at that page while I stand there, and they'll return it to me, so that I don't have to worry about the charge being assessed again.

Tomorrow I'm going to get our certified banking documents, and have all docs photocopied, then hopefully can set it all aside until our appointment on Monday! Really burned out with all of it!

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 09:59:31 PM »
I'm so sorry, I didn't see these replies until just now.

I'm applying for ILR under SET(M), and when I booked the premium appointment online, I had to pay the full amount (1400-odd pounds). I'm bringing in the printed receipt and confirmation of the appointment.

Ah, okay - sorry, I'm getting confused... I read Travelingfrog's reply about FLR(M) and got it in my head that you were also applying for FLR(M) -  I should have just read through the whole thread before I replied :P.

Just to be on the safe side, I went ahead and filled out the credit card payment sheet, but wrote on it that I'd paid online and to see the attached proof of payment. My hope is that they'll at least look at that page while I stand there, and they'll return it to me, so that I don't have to worry about the charge being assessed again.

They won't make you pay again - you're not even allowed to attend an appointment without having paid in full at time of booking it, so I don't think they will even ask for the payment details page - they'll probably just want to see your proof of payment.

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 10:09:58 PM »
I know that for ILR you have to pay the entire visa fee when you book the appointment (£1,493).

On the UKVI pages for FLR(M), it says you have to pay the £400 premium service fee when you book online, but doesn't actually clarify if you have to pay the £601 visa fee at that time as well.

Actually, just looking, it also says the same thing on the ILR pages and you have to pay the full fee when you book for ILR, so I would imagine it's the same for FLR(M).

Got it. I didn't realise the whole fee had to be paid when you booked online - I thought it was just the booking fee. My bad.  ::)

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 10:27:12 PM »
Got it. I didn't realise the whole fee had to be paid when you booked online - I thought it was just the booking fee. My bad.  ::)

It's a fairly recent change - they brought it in in Sept 2013... Before Sept it was just the booking fee taken, but now you pay the entire fee online when you book the appointment and therefore no payment is taken on the day.

Unfortunately the application form hasn't been updated to accommodate for people who have already paid online so it appears as though you have to fill out the payment details again - there's no option to tick that you have already paid... Which is what is causing the confusion.

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 10:38:22 AM »
Let's just hope that they don't decide to update the form yet again before Monday morning when I set out for my appointment  ;)

I feel pretty confident that all will go well; the only weak-ish point in my whole application is the bit about my US bank account statements being online printouts rather than originals or certified copies. We'll be relying on Husband's financial documents, with my UK ones too, but if I'm asked how my UK bank accounts are funded since I'm not working here, I won't really know what to say.

The short answer is that I still draw a US salary, which is banked in the US and periodically transferred into my UK account (2-4x/yr, including 2x during the last 6mo). I have my US payslips, which technically don't look that "official", but the only docs I have which could confirm the money trail would be internet printouts - which I guess can't count.

I didn't mention any of this on the app where it asks what regular income our household relies on...for purposes of the application, we could survive on Husband's income, although in reality I contribute too. I did write that we contribute to household expenses, but just couldn't elaborate on where my money comes from without triggering the need for backup proof I don't have.

I'm hoping this won't be a problem...any thoughts?

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 05:19:57 PM »
I'm hoping this won't be a problem...any thoughts?

Seriously, I really don't think it's going to be a problem. Just be honest if they ask you about your UK bank account and if they ask for the printed US statements, then show them.

In the last 7.5 years, have never seen an old rules ILR visa refused due to finances... even when neither of the couple had a job and they were living entirely off the UK citizen's government benefits.

If none of your income is mentioned on the application form and you can live without it, then don't even mention your UK or US bank accounts, or US salary, at all - just use your husband's income only and don't show any of your UK bank statements.

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »
Hmm, I hadn't considered withholding my UK bank statements; that's an interesting idea. How could I support my statement that I contribute to household expenses, though? Would I need to take that statement out, and just imply that I live off of his salary?

Although technically we could live on Husband's income, in reality, we don't - so I wonder are they looking for reasons to think that we might need to go on benefits in the future, or just evidence that we haven't been on benefits up til now?

I'm just kicking myself for not having thought to get certified copies of my US stuff while I was there. All I can blame it on is spaciness and how hard it is to have a life that spans two continents. :-\\\\

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 05:49:14 PM »
Hmm, I hadn't considered withholding my UK bank statements; that's an interesting idea. How could I support my statement that I contribute to household expenses, though? Would I need to take that statement out, and just imply that I live off of his salary?

That's what I suggested you did in my post at the top of this page. If you're worried, just don't show any evidence of your finances at all, UK or US.

Although technically we could live on Husband's income, in reality, we don't - so I wonder are they looking for reasons to think that we might need to go on benefits in the future, or just evidence that we haven't been on benefits up til now?

Both - you have to show 2 things only:

1) You, the US citizen have not claimed any benefits in the last 2 years. Your husband can have claimed as many benefits as he is entitled to as long as he hasn't claimed more because of you (i.e. he must have claimed as single, not as a couple).

2) You have enough money between you that you, the US citizen, will not need to claim benefits in the future (even though you will be allowed to). Your husband can still claim any benefits he is entitled to.

As long as your husband has a steady income and you haven't claimed benefits, that's really all they need to know. They don't really care how you spend your money or who contributes what to the household expenses. They just need to make sure that you won't suddenly start claiming every benefit under the sun the minute you get your ILR (they are trying to prevent people from 'scrounging' off the government the moment they are allowed to).

So, they just want to see that:

His monthly salary - (monthly rent + council tax) = £1067.56 or more (assuming you are including his kids in the calculation... if not, it only has to equal £492.70).

That's it.

Sponsored Links