Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Suggestions for shipping stuff over to the UK  (Read 1260 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
Suggestions for shipping stuff over to the UK
« on: May 12, 2003, 06:29:06 AM »
Hello,

I'm cheating a bit because I'm English, but I've been living in the US for 7 years and am moving back to the UK soon.  Does anyone out there have any suggestions for cost-effective ways to ship stuff back to the UK?  Names of any companies I should use?

The most important things for me to get back there safely are some large framed pictures -- obviously tough to traansport -- and I'm hoping one of you intrepid expats can offer me some advice.

Thanks in advance,

--Matt

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
Re: Suggestions for shipping stuff over to the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 03:31:17 PM »
We looked around online for a while, but didn't really get anywhere.  We made some real progress when we decided to phone up people, have them come to the house to give us an estimate.  We called all the big boys, plus a few small boys.  Everyone was fairly comperable. In the end we went with Allied Van Lines because while they're ground/boat rate was similar to everyone else's -- to go by air was only a couple hundred more.  So for us, it was worth it.  

I just suggest getting people out there to give you quotes... and make sure you ask for the airfreight charges as well - you never know.

As for getting a requtible company.... I suggest checking the BBB  (www.bbb.com)  

Good luck!
-Lisa-
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• JennyI
  • A Stranger in a Strange Land

• Obamarama
Re: Suggestions for shipping stuff over to the UK
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 06:40:18 PM »
When I moved, I didnt bring any furniture, but I had lots of breakables and toys and other things. I started bringing things over when I was visiting my other half, months before the actual move. I bought 3 pieces of luggage, two big duffel bags and one huge bag that I filled up several times with clothes. The big tote bag I would fill up bring over and bring back to America, empty. In the end, I shipped one box of clothes and stuffed animals via the post office economy/surface mail, $76, took 6 weeks to arrive. We sent people that had come to America for our wedding that were going back to the UK with an extra bag each, about 4 or 5 in total and when we personally came over we had two checked bags each plus one box of breakables that we checked in and paid for as extra baggage, $85 with Virgin Atlantic. Plus we had loads of carry on bags, dont ask me how we got away with that. Everything was jam packed, could not fit another thing in the bags but it was the cheap way, in the end.
When we arrived back here, my mother in law picked us up from the airport and my husband and I had to take the train home as the car was too full of bags.
I never want to move again! I ended up getting rid of a lot of clothes and I have stopped being such a hoarder of junk  ;D
Good things come to those who wait...a really long time.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab