Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: la consulate  (Read 722 times)

• Liked: 0
la consulate
« on: November 02, 2004, 02:57:23 PM »
Me and my girlfriend are going to the LA consulate in early Jan to get an unmarried partner's visa.  I've heard in a recent post, as alot of you did, that the LA office is kind of horrible and rude.  We lived for just under two years in Los Angeles and then we've been in London together for six months.  Would any of you suggest going to a different consulate, like say in Chicago (where we will be spending christmas) or is it much better to go to the office in the town where we were living together?  I'm scared of this evil lady!

scott

• Liked: 2
Re: la consulate
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 03:06:09 PM »
I think you're expected to go to the Consulate closest to where you (ie the person applying for the visa) are living. It is over 18 months since my husband got his visa at the LA Consulate but we had absolutely no problems and in fact the consular officer we dealt with was very friendly and helpful - she was even cracking jokes and admired our photos.  If you do find you get someone who is outright rude, ask to see their superior. 

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 03:10:17 PM »
it's not ALL THAT horrible -- it's survivable -- trust me -- I had a RUDE woman!  AND I got my visa within 48 hours of speaking to her (from Seattle!)

Good Luck! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=clover2.gif]

• Journal
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 06:38:59 PM »
You have to go to the Consulate that serves your area, methinks.

I applied in person at the LA Consulate for a visitor's visa (long story) and they could not possibly have been any nicer.  I'm serious, the whole thing was so easy and no-stress.  Later I mailed a fiance visa application to them, and again, they were so nice.  They even called me as soon as they'd reached a decision on my application to let me know it had been approved and when it would be delivered, and even postdated it so I'd have the full 6 months when I arrived. 

Don't be scared of them, they're great.  It's the actual citizens of LA you've got to worry about.  :D  Of course, if you lived amongst them for 2 years, dealing with some Brits in an office will be a cakewalk.
"I will do this.  Nothing in my life matters except this.  I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment."  -Raistlin Majere

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 06:59:30 PM »
You have to go to the Consulate for the state you live in.

I don't think there is such a thing as a good or bad Consulate. It depends on the person who interviews you, and the kind of day they're having.  I would go in expecting to be treated nicely.  People usually fulfill our expectations of them.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 07:31:53 PM »
I hve only had positive experiences with the LA Consulate.  I also had to deal with an unmarried partner visa.  Just make sure you have your documentation and it will be fine.  I would be happy to answer any questions on the UP visa, if you have them.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 07:00:37 PM »
We worked with a VERY nice woman at the Chicago consulate.  But I'll echo the others and tell you that you have to go to the one designated for your state.

I will say that no matter which consulate someone goes to - have ALL your documents ready (organized so you can give them what they ask for quickly), have ORIGINALS (or certified copies), and dress nicely and be humble (goes without saying)...generally, be overprepared.  Believe it or not, we did see firsthand people who didn't do this stuff (and didn't go away happy).

If they see that you're professional and serious, they should hopefully be impressed and reciprocate with kindness!  Good luck!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab