Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Current naturalisation/citizenship waiting times  (Read 81489 times)

• Liked: 63
Re: Current naturalisation/citizenship waiting times
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2014, 07:40:49 PM »
Yay!!!!!!!!!! [smiley=daisy.gif] [smiley=daisy.gif] [smiley=daisy.gif] [smiley=daisy.gif]

I am SOOOOO happy for you!!!!

10 weeks for me.....so might still happen before my birthday!
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 10:33:57 PM »
I get to join this now...  ;D

Been putting off applying for a few years now, but today did the NCS in Bedford.

Hoping to be approved to vote in the next election  :D

I was told it was currently a 3-4 month waiting period at the moment.

11/06: Met online
12/06: Her first US visit
04/07: Her 2nd US visit
06/07: My first UK visit
02/07: Her 3rd US visit
10/07: My 2nd UK visit (engaged)
12/07: Her 4th US visit
03/07: Her 5th US visit
03/15/08: MARRIED
04/18/08: Visa approved
21/06/08: Arrive London
14/05/10: Life In The UK Test Pass
09/06/10: Sent ILR application
03/07/10: Received ILR!

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 07:39:23 AM »
It seems 3 months is about the average right now based on posts on immigrationboards.com, but having said that, one person who applied at the end of AUGUST and got approval <3 weeks later. At least 3 applications from early July were approved quite fast as well, and one July applicant who was initially denied (wasn't in the UK on the required date exactly 5 years prior to submission) was able to re-submit and was approved the following week. None of those applications were 'straightforward'. Go figure.

I will be at the 3 month mark next week, and still hoping that the glue I used to attach my picture to the reference page hasn't dried up allowing the picture to float off into a dustbin or be wind borne into the Mersey through an open window. :-)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
Back to US in 2000
ILR - September 2011

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 10:59:41 AM »
I went to my citizenship ceremony in Wandsworth last night. I was lucky enough to be able to schedule it for the week after I received the letter. It was really well organised.

The "new citizens" were asked to come into the room (the council chamber) first and to sign two different registers (to be honest I was a bit distracted by the time I got in and don't remember what they were). They showed us our assigned seats and we were told to go outside again and wait to be called. We milled around with our guests (I brought my husband and two friends), then they called us back in again, and went over what was going to happen in the ceremony. Then they allowed the guests in, and the person running the ceremony welcomed everyone, talked about citizenship and the UK, and asked us to stand for the dignitary (the affable mayor, who was splendidly decked out in red robes with his chain of office). He then read a speech about the history of Wandsworth and the elements of its emblem, and congratulated us.

Then we were asked to take the oath of allegiance. We had been seated alphabetically in two groups, those who chose to swear by God and those who chose to affirm instead. The first group stood and individually in turn said "I, ____" with their names, and then we all read the rest of the first paragraph of the oath together. Then the second group went, and then both groups stood and read the second paragraph together. (I confess I choked up a bit.)

After that we were directed to come to the front (again a well-organised queue), and the person running it showed each of us his or her certificate and asked if were correct, then asked where we were from. Then she announced "please welcome X, from X". Families or couples were announced together. She then took us and the certificate(s) to the mayor, who shook our hands (except for some people who didn't shake), and the photographer took a picture. Everyone applauded for each new citizen. We then went to another organiser, who handed us the gift (a leather passport cover) and a folder with some information about citizenship and passport applications, and letter from Theresa May.

When we were all done, the person running it gave another speech about the rights of UK citizens and the responsibilities as well. The mayor then popped up and asked to say a few more unscheduled words. He made a few jolly remarks about the Scottish referendum (he is Scottish) and said how happy he was that we were all now citizens of the whole United Kingdom and not a diminished UK, as we might have felt cheated otherwise, and congratulated us again.

Then everyone stood and sang the national anthem, and it was over.

Before the ceremony started there was a photographer who took two pictures of you signing the register, and another who was available to take passport photos if you wanted (£5 for four), which I thought was a brilliant idea, as everyone would need them afterward. They also took two pictures of you with the certificate and the mayor. After the ceremony you could buy any of the four pictures (£15 for one, £20 for 2, £30 for three, I think, not sure how many for four--rather a ripoff but it's a once in a lifetime experience, so we bought two).

It was a pretty diverse group of new citizens. There were 48, as I recall, and the biggest group was from South Africa, several more from other African countries, quite a few from India, Pakistan, Russia and other East European countries, several from Australia and New Zealand, a few from EU countries, two Chinese, and three Americans.

So, a major milestone completed! Just the passport left, thank God.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for vadio and all the other UK-Yanks who are still waiting, that you get your Home Office envelopes very soon!!

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2014, 04:14:48 AM »
I went to my citizenship ceremony in Wandsworth last night. I was lucky enough to be able to schedule it for the week after I received the letter. It was really well organised.

The "new citizens" were asked to come into the room (the council chamber) first and to sign two different registers (to be honest I was a bit distracted by the time I got in and don't remember what they were). They showed us our assigned seats and we were told to go outside again and wait to be called. We milled around with our guests (I brought my husband and two friends), then they called us back in again, and went over what was going to happen in the ceremony. Then they allowed the guests in, and the person running the ceremony welcomed everyone, talked about citizenship and the UK, and asked us to stand for the dignitary (the affable mayor, who was splendidly decked out in red robes with his chain of office). He then read a speech about the history of Wandsworth and the elements of its emblem, and congratulated us.

Then we were asked to take the oath of allegiance. We had been seated alphabetically in two groups, those who chose to swear by God and those who chose to affirm instead. The first group stood and individually in turn said "I, ____" with their names, and then we all read the rest of the first paragraph of the oath together. Then the second group went, and then both groups stood and read the second paragraph together. (I confess I choked up a bit.)

After that we were directed to come to the front (again a well-organised queue), and the person running it showed each of us his or her certificate and asked if were correct, then asked where we were from. Then she announced "please welcome X, from X". Families or couples were announced together. She then took us and the certificate(s) to the mayor, who shook our hands (except for some people who didn't shake), and the photographer took a picture. Everyone applauded for each new citizen. We then went to another organiser, who handed us the gift (a leather passport cover) and a folder with some information about citizenship and passport applications, and letter from Theresa May.

When we were all done, the person running it gave another speech about the rights of UK citizens and the responsibilities as well. The mayor then popped up and asked to say a few more unscheduled words. He made a few jolly remarks about the Scottish referendum (he is Scottish) and said how happy he was that we were all now citizens of the whole United Kingdom and not a diminished UK, as we might have felt cheated otherwise, and congratulated us again.

Then everyone stood and sang the national anthem, and it was over.

Before the ceremony started there was a photographer who took two pictures of you signing the register, and another who was available to take passport photos if you wanted (£5 for four), which I thought was a brilliant idea, as everyone would need them afterward. They also took two pictures of you with the certificate and the mayor. After the ceremony you could buy any of the four pictures (£15 for one, £20 for 2, £30 for three, I think, not sure how many for four--rather a ripoff but it's a once in a lifetime experience, so we bought two).

It was a pretty diverse group of new citizens. There were 48, as I recall, and the biggest group was from South Africa, several more from other African countries, quite a few from India, Pakistan, Russia and other East European countries, several from Australia and New Zealand, a few from EU countries, two Chinese, and three Americans.

So, a major milestone completed! Just the passport left, thank God.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for vadio and all the other UK-Yanks who are still waiting, that you get your Home Office envelopes very soon!!

Awesome! Congrats! I have mine scheduled for in 2 weeks as I have been so busy traveling, wouldn't have been able to swing it even if there was an earlier slot. Have to admit, am a bit freaked out! Acquiring a citizenship of another country is not a small thing!  ;)

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 02:05:33 PM »
No, it definitely isn't! Congrats, and I hope you enjoy your ceremony!

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 05:12:16 PM »
My brown envelope arrived today  :) - letter was dated October 5, so 10 days to finally reach me.

I've missed the October ceremony date, so mine will be November 10 - just before my birthday!

Big sign of relief - can't wait for the final chapter and actually finishing this journey.
Back to US in 2000
ILR - September 2011

• Liked: 111
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 07:26:57 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS VADIO!!!  ;D

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2014, 09:52:28 PM »
congrats!

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2014, 09:11:50 AM »
Thank you!!! Can't wait for the ceremony and to hold the certificate in my hot little hands!
Back to US in 2000
ILR - September 2011

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 09:34:34 PM »
So I applied using NCS on October 7th
They said they would send in my application on October 10th
Today is October 21st, and I have not had any email/letter or payment taken?

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 09:49:55 PM »
My payment was taken about 10 days after my NCS appointment. Did you check when your application was received?

Not quite panic time yet, but believe me, I understand how you feel!
Back to US in 2000
ILR - September 2011

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 09:52:51 PM »
How do I see if they received the application?

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 09:55:24 PM »
I got a tracking number from NCS; I assumed that was standard.
Back to US in 2000
ILR - September 2011

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 10:27:43 PM »
Hmm, I didn't really look at the letter they gave me, will have to go find it!