Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: American Citizenship for my British hubs  (Read 893 times)

• Liked: 2
American Citizenship for my British hubs
« on: November 02, 2004, 03:08:21 PM »
I've been trying to search and couldn't find what I "needed" -- so I'm asking..... Has anyone -- who has lived here in the UK for several years -- ever applied for US citizenship for their UK spouse?

Just wondering....  [smiley=antlers.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif]

• Liked: 8
Re: American Citizenship for my British hubs
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 03:13:09 PM »
Maybe I'm reading too much into your question, but the fact that the US spouse has lived in the UK for a while won't affect his/her spouse's application for US naturalisation.  As long as the applicant has lived in the US for five years (or three years as the spouse of a US citizen), one can apply for US naturalisation.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/howapply.htm

• Journal
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 06:41:28 PM »
Yeah, your Brit hubby has to live in the US for 3 years before they can naturalise, same as us americans her ein the UK- 3 years to naturalise.  Unfortunately there's no automatic "you're married, here, have a citizenship" for either country. 
"I will do this.  Nothing in my life matters except this.  I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment."  -Raistlin Majere

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 07:56:37 PM »
Hey driveup!  If you end up back in the Seattle area, be sure to let me know.  Me and my Brit-husband are moving to Seattle after our May wedding...I'm sure he'd love one of his own to chat with over coffee...

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 08:03:34 PM »
I was under the impression that the spouse must still be a permanent resident within the US to apply.  Anyone know for sure?
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 08:12:55 PM »
Yeah...the applicant and their "sponsor" (the US spouse) have to be legally resident in the US in order to apply for citizenship...three years for those married to US citizens and five years for all others.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 08:21:11 PM »
Crap.. I was hoping that something had changed.  We left right after he got his "permanent" permanent residency card and 3 years and 6 months from when he entered, so he was eligible to apply for citizenship but I remember reading that we had to still be living in the USA for the over a year it takes to process the application and go for the interview.  I wish we had been able to do that so we would not face having to do everything all over again at the London consulate.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Sponsored Links