Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Passport Processing Times  (Read 1115 times)

• Liked: 0
British Passport Processing Times
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:56:19 PM »
Hi folks. Wanted to see if anyone has recent experience getting their first adult British passport (as a new citizen) and could share their processing times.

I sent my documents using the Passport Check Send service from the Post Office on June 4th (nearly 5 weeks ago). I've yet to get my passport back and no notice about setting up any interview. I know there have been news stories recently about delays in the Passport office, but to my knowledge they were related to overseas applications.

Basis:  Adult, First passport due to Naturalisation
Date of Application: 04 June 2014
Method of application:  Check & Send
Date of Return of Documents: --
Date of Passport Interview: --
Date of Passport receipt: --

Thanks!

• Liked: 3595
Re: British Passport Processing Times
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »
I know there have been news stories recently about delays in the Passport office, but to my knowledge they were related to overseas applications.

No, the delays are affecting all passport applications right now and I believe most of the delayed applications are for in-country passport renewals.

According to an article I just read on the BBC website (published today). there are currently about 500,000 UK passport applications waiting to be processed (400,000 more than this time last year), and the passport office are currently planning to process 180,000 per week for the duration of the summer.

A first British passport normally takes at least 6 weeks for processing, but that's when there are no delays... so it could be much longer with the delays.

A work colleague of mine applied to renew her UK passport about 4 weeks ago, and she still hasn't heard anything yet... and normally it takes 2-3 weeks for a regular passport renewal, but apparently it's been taking 6 weeks recently.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »
Thanks ksand.

I finally got my passport this week. Yay! It finally appears like this whole immigration process is over (for now).

Here is my timeline in case people are in the same boat :

Basis:  Adult, First passport due to Naturalisation
Date of Application: 04 June 2014
Method of application:  Check & Send
Date of Return of Documents: 21 July 2014 (together with new British passport)
Date of Passport Interview: 18 July
Date of Passport receipt: 21 July

So the entire passport process took a little over 7 weeks. Not bad considering the size of the current backlog. Good luck to those who are waiting.

Cheers!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 09:17:07 AM »
Thanks for this!
Seven weeks is pretty good.  I sent mine check and send on the 26th. June, got a text from HM Passports that it was being processed on 02 July. It's only been three weeks, and it feels ages. But I am an impatient person!

I have to travel to The Republic of Ireland the last week of August, so that makes it 8 weeks, but that cuts it so close. I have a feeling like I will actually need to go via Belfast and drive down, instead of flying....
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 09:47:10 AM »
Uggh and now the news is filled with staff from the passport offices striking. Great.  ::)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:03:09 PM »
Uggh and now the news is filled with staff from the passport offices striking. Great.  ::)
I just sent in my application last week.  I was thinking maybe the worst of the delays were over since we are almost in August.  But no, now this strike/more delays. I have a trip for work scheduled for 21 September.  I wonder if I will have my US passport back by then.
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

• Liked: 35
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 12:26:47 PM »
If it takes six weeks to get the passport then fine, but what is ridiculous is holding on to your US passport for weeks on end to "verify your identity".

Also what is ridiculous is requiring your original passport when in order to apply for citizenship you only needed certified copies!

Honestly, if you've gone through all the background checks to become a citizen you would think that HM Passport Office could talk to the Home Office and say "ok, yes, security/ID checks have already been done". But no...  ::)

Andy

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »
If it takes six weeks to get the passport then fine, but what is ridiculous is holding on to your US passport for weeks on end to "verify your identity".

Also what is ridiculous is requiring your original passport when in order to apply for citizenship you only needed certified copies!

Honestly, if you've gone through all the background checks to become a citizen you would think that HM Passport Office could talk to the Home Office and say "ok, yes, security/ID checks have already been done". But no...  ::)

Andy

Yes!!! All of this!!!!
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 35
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:34:27 PM »
On the citizenship application form there should be an extra box to check:

(optional) apply for a passport at the same time - add £75 for processing

I presume that after the ceremony the Local Authority notifies Home Office that they gave you the Naturalization Certificate. So checking this box would trigger Home Office to tell HM Passport Office to issue you with a passport when the Local Authority does that. No further paperwork or hassle...

Anyway, I've written a letter to my MP about all this Home Office/Passport Office stupidity. If you feel the same please contact your MP, FWIW... ::)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 02:13:14 PM »
On the citizenship application form there should be an extra box to check:

(optional) apply for a passport at the same time - add £75 for processing

I presume that after the ceremony the Local Authority notifies Home Office that they gave you the Naturalization Certificate. So checking this box would trigger Home Office to tell HM Passport Office to issue you with a passport when the Local Authority does that. No further paperwork or hassle...
I like your thinking!!

I guess it's because the passport application is a "one size fits all" kind of application form that they need all documents - and one hand doesn't talk to the other hand.......    ::)  It would be at least good if the check and send were more like the NCS.  Or at least there should be the option to expedite a first British passport, like a renewal...  

Hahah, I ran into my local MP at an agricultural show last Saturday. We were chatting to him as he (and we) tried and drank from the homemade wine section of the fair.  Would have been a good time to talk to him about passports!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:15:33 PM by phatbeetle »
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 06:23:27 PM »
I'm planning to apply for my first UK passport this week and dreading it. Hope it doesn't go longer than 8 weeks. I get nervous not having my US passport.

It amuses me that it seemed more difficult to get my visa then citizenship in terms of the application process and the identity checks for my life in the UK test was the most stringent of them all!

headspinning passport turnaround
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 02:08:14 PM »
A little OT, as this was a renewal, but I didn't think it worth starting a new thread.

Went to the London office on Tuesday, choosing 1 week fast track. Courier just dropped it off. That math again: 2 days. Just thought I'd mention it for anybody tempted to go for the same-day service at extra cost. Of course, maybe I just got lucky, good time of year, whatever, but still, I'm impressed.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab