Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Last Minute Things to do before Moving  (Read 637 times)

• Liked: 0
Last Minute Things to do before Moving
« on: July 19, 2014, 02:46:27 AM »
Hi,

I've just gotten approved for a Tier 2 work visa and I'm planning on moving to the UK in the next week! I already have a place to stay lined up and feel pretty prepared for when I get to the UK. My question is what odds and ends I have to do here in the US before I go. I've checked out the "Before you move" page but it didn't answer all of my questions. Mostly the two below:

Mostly my big question is do I need to contact the IRS (or somebody) that I will be working in another country for the next two years. If so, who should I contact.

Also, what did you do about your bank accounts? Did you give them your UK info? I have an address that I can continue using in the US but I'm not sure if that'll mess up anything with taxes.

Are there any other major things I'm forgetting that also wasn't on the "before you move" list.

Thanks so much. This forum has been super helpful.

Kristy

• Liked: 4985
Re: Last Minute Things to do before Moving
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 09:54:32 AM »
Congrats on the move!

You don't need to do anything with the IRS.  You'll update your info with them on your next tax return.  You still have to file US taxes every year, and depending on where you are moving from, state taxes as well.  Hopefully you have already set up how your tax situation will work with your employer.

You'll need to set up a UK account as early as possible over here but it can be quite a task to do so.  Have a plan for how you will access money for about a month (probably just ATMs).  If possible, you may want someone in the US as a signer on your accounts to help you move money over.

You'll also want to be prepared to not have a personal mobile phone for a bit, as you'll need a bank account first.

Pack some comforts from home.  My short list includes deodorant (it's all spray here), nice sheets and towels, and ranch dressing.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 02:15:31 AM »
Thanks for your reply! That was super helpful.

I have a follow up question about the tax situation. How should I sort that out with my employer? What sort of questions should I ask? I just assumed they would take out their standard taxes. I figured that I would also have to pay federal and state taxes and I'm a little bit bummed about that as my paycheck seems to be getting smaller and smaller. Too bad I don't live in a state that doesn't charge income tax.

Thanks for the other tips. Especially about the ranch dressing. I'll put that on my packing list. :)

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:32:03 AM »
It will depend on your contract with your employer.  When I came, I was still a US employee, on US payroll, paid in USD into a US account.  Therefore I was under a tax equalization contract.  This meant that my employer paid all my UK tax and I only contributed the exact amount I would pay in US tax (as UK taxes are much higher).  My employer also paid a tax accountant to complete both my US and UK tax returns each year.  Basically my deal kept me "whole" so that I was not making less money here.

If you are going to be a UK employee paid in GBP, it will simplify things.  You should then have a NI number and will have your UK taxes paid automatically through payroll, then claim exemptions on your US taxes.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:50:34 PM »
Ok. Thanks. I'm working through a UK employee so it looks like I'll be doing the second route. Thanks so much for your quick response.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 03:37:13 PM »
Ok. Thanks. I'm working through a UK employee so it looks like I'll be doing the second route. Thanks so much for your quick response.

Generally, if you are on PAYE (Pay As You Earn) with your employer, which most employed people are, your income tax and National Insurance contributions will be automatically deducted from your UK paycheck every month. Usually this amount of tax is correct, and so you shouldn't have to worry about filing UK taxes (unless you have more than one job, or income from other sources too).

You will still need to file US taxes each year, but you shouldn't have to pay US taxes on your UK income (unless you earn over a specified amount (around $95,000)) as you can claim exemption due to already paying taxes in the UK.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »
Thank you for information! That clears up some questions that I had about taxes and double taxation. Super helpful!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:05:22 PM »

Pack some comforts from home.  My short list includes deodorant (it's all spray here), nice sheets and towels, and ranch dressing.

Actually, they do have antiperspirant/deodorant that isn't spray, I get mine at Boots. It's a twist up, but not a stick. Just in case you didn't know Boots is kind of like a Walgreens/Sephora mash-up but they have upscale products at the larger ones like Philosophy, Clinique, Lancome. If Boots is a place you will visit often be sure to sign up for the rewards card, you get points where 1 point is equal to one pence towards purchases.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:18:59 PM »
I second the availability of non-spray deodorant in the UK... I've lived in the UK my whole life and have never used a spray deodorant.

There are loads of deodorants/antiperspirants that are not spray ones...you can buy both sticks and roll-ons in several different brands.

Sent from my iPod using Tapatalk

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:44:03 PM »
Just in case you didn't know Boots is kind of like a Walgreens/Sephora mash-up

Lolz. If only Boots were like Sephora. It's just a drugstore, albeit in some cases a well-stocked one.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 9
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 01:50:15 AM »
I found I didn't like UK deodorant, even in the stick form. There is some chemical that is banned over there that seems to be the one that makes it work. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't feel UK deodorants were as effective, and always stocked up a year's supply on each visit back to the US. I can't think what the name of the chemical is, or if that is even the case (that it was banned) but seems I heard (or read) it explained once.

*Edited because I didn't proofread.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:26:18 PM by TamaMoo »
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 07:51:54 PM »
Lolz. If only Boots were like Sephora. It's just a drugstore, albeit in some cases a well-stocked one.

I know! I miss Sephora and Ulta like mad! I was still surprised to see the high end brands for sale there. 
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »
Same as Tama.  I haven't found a UK deodorant that I liked.  And it's easy to throw a few of my fave in when I go back.  I have lots of silly thing I bring that just make me happy.   ;D

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »
Same as Tama.  I haven't found a UK deodorant that I liked.  And it's easy to throw a few of my fave in when I go back.  I have lots of silly thing I bring that just make me happy.   ;D

I agree with both of you! I should have had my mom bring me the deodorant I like when she visited for the wedding a few weeks ago, but I didn't think about it. And I won't be back to the states for quite a while!

Sponsored Links