Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Baby's First Passport  (Read 1364 times)

• Liked: 0
Baby's First Passport
« on: July 20, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »
Just a quick question about applying for my babys first British Passport. On section 4 of the form it asks for parents details. And it states "if both parents named below were born after 31st December 1982 or were born abroad we will also need the full name, town, country, date of birth and date of marriage of your grandparents (or details of your parents claim to British nationality)" Does this mean I need to include details of my son's British and American grandparents, or just British? Thanks for any insight!

• Liked: 170
Re: Baby's First Passport
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 01:00:35 PM »
Just a quick question about applying for my babys first British Passport. On section 4 of the form it asks for parents details. And it states "if both parents named below were born after 31st December 1982 or were born abroad we will also need the full name, town, country, date of birth and date of marriage of your grandparents (or details of your parents claim to British nationality)" Does this mean I need to include details of my son's British and American grandparents, or just British? Thanks for any insight!

Were you both born after 31 Dec 1982? If so, include all grandparents details.

If not:

Were both you AND your husband born outside the UK? If he was born here, just include his details. If he was also born abroad, I read that as: include details of ALL grandparents.
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:42:14 PM »

I had similar issues decoding the HMPO "Guidelines" - see my thread from a couple of months ago at http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=82408.msg1102450#msg1102450

On the assumption that your situation more-or-less mirrors ours i.e.: You are American with a UK Spouse Visa or ILR 2) Your husband (the baby's father) is British and born in the UK and 3) your baby was born after 2011 then all you need to include is the Baby's long birth certificate. Complete the British parent's details in the relevant section including of course their UK passport number. This establishes your child's claim to British nationality.

This is all we sent in terms of nationality documentation - no Grandparents docs or info - and we got the passport fine. We also included our marriage cert but others on my thread stated this was probably overkill.

One word of caution though - it took nearly 7 weeks to get the passport. No problems or anything, but from experience and what I have read elsewhere online the delays publicised on the news have tended to affect in particular first baby/children passports. I'm don't know whether you have travel planned but if so get the application in soon :) - for us it came down to the wire although we were able to make our planned visit to Canada to visit his Grandparents :)

PM me if you need any more info.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:40:40 AM »
Yeah the guidelines are tricky to interpret in my opinion. And thats right, im the USC and my husband is the UKC. So i will just include our sons birth certificate and that should suffice. I didnt understand the concept of including the grandparents details, considering the one parent is a UKC and provides their passport number, as well as our son was born in the UK which shows on his birth certificate. Our travel plans are actually in about 7 weeks, but i havent booked flights yet luckily. I better get a move on then! Lol thanks for your help!

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 07:42:51 PM »
No problem. If you plan to travel in 7 weeks there is the fast track service that guarantees the passport in 1 week but it's a bit more expensive and you have to submit your docs in person by appointment at a Passport Office. Make sure you put your husbands passport number in the parents details bit.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 02:56:15 PM »
If you hope to travel in 7 weeks, I'd fast track the application. We applied last week for my daughter's first passport and was told not to expect to hear from them for at least 8 weeks as everything is backlogged. Good luck!
Student Visa- August 2009
Studied- September 2009-August 2010
Engaged- March 2010
Post-Study Work Visa- January 2011
Married in US- June 2011
Spouse Visa- September 2011
ILR (Solihull PEO)- 2nd September 2013
Apply for Citizenship (Oxford NCS)- 9th October 2013
Became a citizen- 20th January 2014!

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 10:09:27 AM »
Yes, we applied in April and got our baby's passport at the end of June.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab