Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Further information requested from Sheffield - please advise!  (Read 1108 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello,

I've just been contacted by Sheffield asking for more documentation. Among other things, they specifically they want bank statements reflecting payments made by my husband's fellowship funder into our bank account. We already provided bank statements for our joint US account since September 2013, but I guess this was not enough as it did not reflect the initial payment, which was made into my husband's UK bank account in August 2013. We were under the impression they only needed proof of income for the past 6 months, so we thought we were already going overboard on the bank statements for the past 10 months.

However it is going to be extremely difficult to get an actual paper bank statement by the deadline date they've given me (August 5th, 7 working days from now). He doesn't even normally get paper statements, but ordering them will take 7-10 working days to arrive at a minimum, to a UK address. I'm not sure what to do at this point. We can provide a screenshot of his "My Account" (the equivalent of an online statement) showing the payment made, but that's the only certain thing we can provide by that date. When the statement arrives at his mother's she can send it onto Sheffield, but it may not arrive at her place in time.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can I provide a screenshot of the online statement, under the circumstances, or is a paper statement all they'll accept?

Thanks for your help, once again.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:09:27 PM by minxy »
Priority spouse online visa application submitted: June 26 2014
Biometrics appt & sent off application: July 8
Application & docs arrived in Sheffield: July 11
Confirmation email from Sheffield: July 15
Decision email: Aug 18
Visa received: Aug 19
Moved to UK: Aug 22 2014
FLR(M) granted at premium service centre: April 20 2017

• Liked: 3595
Re: Further information requested from Sheffield - please advise!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »
Hello,

I've just been contacted by Sheffield asking for more documentation. Among other things, they specifically they want bank statements reflecting payments made by my husband's fellowship funder into our bank account. We already provided bank statements for our joint US account since September 2013, but I guess this was not enough as it did not reflect the initial payment, which was made into my husband's UK bank account in August 2013. We were under the impression they only needed proof of income for the past 6 months, so we thought we were already going overboard on the bank statements for the past 10 months.

No, if you are relying on a job offer in the UK (Category B), you must prove that he has earned at least £18,600 in the previous 12 MONTHS before applying, or the visa will be refused... it's the main requirement for the finances (job offer in the UK PLUS £18,600 earned in the 12 months before applying).

So you MUST provide 12 full months of payslips/funding evidence and bank statements showing the deposit of all the money into the account during those 12 months.

However it is going to be extremely difficult to get an actual paper bank statement by the deadline date they've given me (August 5th, 7 working days from now). He doesn't even normally get paper statements, but ordering them will take 7-10 working days to arrive at a minimum, to a UK address.

Why not have them sent to your address in the US and then you can forward them by FedEx overnight? You could also scan them in and email them to Sheffield as a back-up, while you wait for them to arrive in Sheffield.

I would contact the bank and explain that you need the statements ASAP and see what they can do, and then also contact UKBA to explain the situation... and then get the statements to Sheffield as soon as possible.

We can provide a screenshot of his "My Account" (the equivalent of an online statement) showing the payment made, but that's the only certain thing we can provide by that date. When the statement arrives at his mother's she can send it onto Sheffield, but it may not arrive at her place in time.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can I provide a screenshot of the online statement, under the circumstances, or is a paper statement all they'll accept?

Normally, a paper statement is all they will accept, but I would email UKBA back after you have contacted the bank, to see if they will accept a scanned version when the statements arrive, or if you can take a screenshot and send it while you wait for the paper statements.

You have to provide the statements one way or another, otherwise the visa will be refused anyway, so all you can do is get them to Sheffield as soon as you can, and hope that they will be okay with it.

So:

- contact the bank, see how fast they can get the statements to you (is there not a physical branch you can go into and ask them to print the statements for you right there? Then you can have them right away and mail them to Sheffield before the deadline)

- contact UKBA with the information from the bank, explaining the situation, and ask if you can email a scanned copy and/or send a screenshot for now.

- when the statements arrive, mail them on to Sheffield ASAP.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 05:33:45 PM »
No, if you are relying on a job offer in the UK (Category B), you must prove that he has earned at least £18,600 in the previous 12 MONTHS before applying, or the visa will be refused... it's the main requirement for the finances (job offer in the UK PLUS £18,600 earned in the 12 months before applying).

So you MUST provide 12 full months of payslips/funding evidence and bank statements showing the deposit of all the money into the account during those 12 months.

Why not have them sent to your address in the US and then you can forward them by FedEx overnight? You could also scan them in and email them to Sheffield as a back-up, while you wait for them to arrive in Sheffield.

I would contact the bank and explain that you need the statements ASAP and see what they can do, and then also contact UKBA to explain the situation... and then get the statements to Sheffield as soon as possible.

Normally, a paper statement is all they will accept, but I would email UKBA back after you have contacted the bank, to see if they will accept a scanned version when the statements arrive, or if you can take a screenshot and send it while you wait for the paper statements.

You have to provide the statements one way or another, otherwise the visa will be refused anyway, so all you can do is get them to Sheffield as soon as you can, and hope that they will be okay with it.

So:

- contact the bank, see how fast they can get the statements to you (is there not a physical branch you can go into and ask them to print the statements for you right there? Then you can have them right away and mail them to Sheffield before the deadline)

- contact UKBA with the information from the bank, explaining the situation, and ask if you can email a scanned copy and/or send a screenshot for now.

- when the statements arrive, mail them on to Sheffield ASAP.

Thanks for this!  :)

We've now contacted the bank and they can't speed up the process to send the statement, even though we offered to pay for the shipping to do so :(. We've now requested the statements be sent to us at both his UK address and our US address and are keeping our fingers crossed that they arrive within the deadline (although honestly I'm not holding my breath). There is no bank branch in the US (where we live), but we're going to try to call the branch where he opened the account in the UK on Monday to see if they'll print out the statements, stamp them, and then either allow his mother to pick them up to ship them to Sheffield or maybe they will send them onto Sheffield directly.

He has earned well over the minimum annual income in the past 6 months alone, and we've already provided evidence of that, so it seems like an annoying technicality that they want proof that he's made MUCH more than that in the past 12 months. I get it that those are the rules, but if their logic is that they want to make sure he's made at least £18,600, we've already provided ample evidence of that.

I will also reply to the case worker and explain the situation regarding the paper statement and see if a screenshot of the online statement will suffice. I'll keep you updated, just in case the outcome is relevant to anyone else in the future!

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 05:49:29 PM »
He has earned well over the minimum annual income in the past 6 months alone, and we've already provided evidence of that, so it seems like an annoying technicality that they want proof that he's made MUCH more than that in the past 12 months. I get it that those are the rules, but if their logic is that they want to make sure he's made at least £18,600, we've already provided ample evidence of that.

This is where it's not a case that you don't meet the requirements, but that you haven't provided the exact paperwork specified in the financial requirements document.

As you've found with this email from UKBA, it's very important to send the documents exactly as specified in the financial requirements document... even if you meet the requirements over only the last 6 months, if you don't send EXACTLY what is on the document list (i.e. the 12 months of bank statements), they will refuse the visa.

The official documentation states:
2. In respect of salaried employment in the UK (except where paragraph 9 applies1), all of the following evidence must be provided:

(a) Payslips covering:
   (i) a period of 6 months prior to the date of application if the person has been employed by their current employer for at least 6 months (and where paragraph 13(b) of this Appendix does not apply); or
   (ii) any period of salaried employment in the period of 12 months prior to the date of application if the person has been employed by their current employer for less than 6 months (or at least 6 months but the person does not rely on paragraph 13(a) of this Appendix), or in the financial year(s) relied upon by a self-employed person.

(b) A letter from the employer(s) who issued the payslips at paragraph 2(a) confirming: (i) the person's employment and gross annual salary; (ii) the length of their employment; (iii) the period over which they have been or were paid the level of salary relied upon in the application; and (iv) the type of employment (permanent, fixed-term contract or agency). (c) Personal bank statements corresponding to the same period(s) as the payslips at paragraph 2(a), showing that the salary has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.

(c) Personal bank statements corresponding to the same period(s) as the payslips at paragraph 2(a), showing that the salary has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.

and for Non-Employment Income... grants or stipends:
(g) Maintenance grant or stipend income (not a loan) associated with undergraduate study or postgraduate study or research:
   (i) Documentation from the body or company awarding the grant or stipend confirming that the person is currently in receipt of the grant or stipend or will be within 3 months of the date of application, confirming that the grant or stipend will be paid for a period of at least 12 months from the date of application or from the date on which payment of the grant or
stipend will commence, and confirming the annual amount of the grant or stipend. Where the grant or stipend is or will be paid on a tax-free basis, the gross equivalent amount may be counted as income.
   (ii) Personal bank statements for any part of the 12-month period prior to the date of the application during which the person has been in receipt of the grant or stipend showing the income was paid into the person's account.

So, either way (salaried employment or non-employment income) you have to send all the evidence for the 12 months - and if you sent funding evidence from the whole 12 months, you HAVE to send the corresponding 12 months of bank statements too... because they need to be able to match up the amount on the funding evidence with the deposits in your bank account.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 11:05:56 AM »
Do you know whether they will accept a print out from a bank branch that is stamped? If so we're looking into flying my husband over to London to take care of it this week. Like I said we've ordered the proper statements but they're unlikely to arrive in the post in time.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 11:10:35 AM »
Do you know whether they will accept a print out from a bank branch that is stamped? If so we're looking into flying my husband over to London to take care of it this week. Like I said we've ordered the proper statements but they're unlikely to arrive in the post in time.

Yes, that's fine. That's what many people do - you can submit printed internet statements as long as each page has been stamped/signed by the bank branch.

I would wait until you can contact UKBA about it before rushing into anything. If they get back to you and say it's okay to wait for the paper statements to arrive, or that it's okay to send an email, then he won't need to fly back to the UK to take care of it anyway.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »
I re-read the email from UKBA and it specifically stated that "no further extension will be given" if all docs are not submitted by the 5th, so I don't think that asking for another extension in this case will work. In any case, we've figured out a way to do it within the timeframe they've given us: by sending a letter to the bank requesting the stamped statement with my husband's signature and enclosing his passport for identification. The bank will then courier us the stamped print-outs at our cost.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 01:13:41 PM »
Sorry for bumping up this thread, I'm not sure if there is a better way to post my Qs. It didn't seem polite to clog up other checklists/posts with my personal circumstances.  :) My questions are in bold.

We were asked for further evidence from the visa office a few days ago, which included:

--Mortgage statement/land registry doc from owner of property we're planning to rent. We were able to obtain the land registry document with some difficulty, as it didn't pop up on the land registry site with just the address; I was able to obtain the title number from a property lawyer, which resulted in a successful search so I was able to purchase the title register and plan. However, the owner seems tetchy about providing a mortgage statement (he's an acquaintance, not family or friend, and very protective of his privacy). I saw ksand replied to me in the other person's thread, but I just wanted to doublecheck: So will it definitely be okay to provide just the land registry doc, and NOT the mortgage statement? Their email specifically requested "documentary evidence (eg: Land Registry cert/mortgage statement) confirming... ownership". I see a lot of people are supplying both. We had previously already provided a council tax bill to UKVI, as per the guidelines, but that wasn't good enough. We could provide all the info for my husband's mother's house, but she lives 3 hours from his job, so it doesn't seem believable that we'd actually stay there.

--They also requested bank statements from last August from my husband's UK account, which was going to prove difficult to obtain before the deadline they gave me (as we are both in the US and UK statements take a long time to arrive). We solved it using the approach I previously posted about in this thread, in case anyone else encounters a similar situation.

They haven't asked for this, but: what is the letter of confirmation? I assume this is a letter signed by the British citizen saying they want to bring their foreign spouse over, but I just want to be sure - and also find out if there is a specific format. I couldn't find this in the documentary guidelines. I asked this question in my initial post a while ago, but I don't think anyone answered that question. The visa office hasn't asked me for it, but I thought since I didn't provide it in the first place and so many people on here seem to be doing it, I might as well send it along with bank statement and ownership doc they've requested, just in case.

Thanks again, and so grateful to this forum for being an absolutely amazing resource.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:29:27 PM by minxy »

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 01:35:48 PM »
--Mortgage statement/land registry doc from owner of property we're planning to rent. We were able to obtain the land registry document with some difficulty, as it didn't pop up on the land registry site with just the address; I was able to obtain the title number from a property lawyer, which resulted in a successful search so I was able to purchase the title register and plan. However, the owner seems tetchy about providing a mortgage statement (he's an acquaintance, not family or friend, and very protective of his privacy). I saw ksand replied to me in the other person's thread, but I just wanted to doublecheck: So will it definitely be okay to provide just the land registry doc, and NOT the mortgage statement?
Their email specifically requested "documentary evidence (eg: Land Registry cert/mortgage statement) confirming... ownership". I see a lot of people are supplying both. We had previously already provided a council tax bill to UKVI, as per the guidelines, but that wasn't good enough. We could provide all the info for my husband's mother's house, but she lives 3 hours from his job, so it doesn't seem believable that we'd actually stay there.
The Land Registry document/title deed is the most important because it shows who owns the property.

The mortgage statement is then extra evidence that the property is being paid for by that person, and that the homeowner won't default on the mortgage payments and leave you out on the streets.

Transpondia's website says:
Accommodation (General) 
The evidence for accommodation must meet two objectives...
-    The sponsor or applicant own the premises or have permission from the owner to live at the premises; and
-    The accommodation will not be overcrowded as defined by the Housing Act 1985

Accommodation (home owners)
If the sponsor owns his home, he should include a certified copy of the deed showing this. If the sponsor has a mortgage, the appropriate entry from the Land Registry should be provided, and the mortgage payments should appear in the bank statements.

Accommodation (renters)
If the sponsor rents a flat or house, the tenancy agreement should be provided. If the applicant is not a signatory to the tenancy agreement, then an additional statement from the landlord (or estate agent) should be provided that attests to his agreement that the premises will be occupied by an additional person. If an existing tenancy agreement is to be used, it should have at least six months before expiry. If the tenancy agreement does not have at least six months before expiry, then an additional statement from the landlord showing intent to renew at the same terms should be provided.

Accommodation (sharing a house with others and co-sponsors offering accomodation)
If the sponsor and the applicant intend to live in an accommodation with multiple occupants, the information shown for renters should be provided. Additionally, the applicant and sponsor should show that they will have exclusive access to a bedroom which is not used by anyone else. A bedroom is a room which is normally used as such and kitchens, bathrooms, and utility rooms do not qualify. A bedroom can be a family room or study which has been converted for exclusive access. Finally, a bedroom must be at least 50 square feet in dimension.

Notes on the accommodation requirement

-    Accommodation owned by the sponsor (co-sponsor) If the sponsor (co-sponsor) owns the premises, the property deeds should be submitted. If the premises is mortgaged, a letter from the mortgage provider which confirms ownership can be used.

-    Rented accommodation If the accommodation is privately rented, the sponsor should submit a letter from the landlord that confirms both the size of the property and his agreement that an additional occupant may take up residence there. The sponsor should also include a copy of the tenancy agreement, and the tenancy agreement should have at least six months remaining until its expiry.

They haven't asked for this, but: what is the letter of confirmation? I assume this is a letter signed by the British citizen saying they want to bring their foreign spouse over, but I just want to be sure - and also find out if there is a specific format. I couldn't find this in the documentary guidelines. I asked this question in my initial post a while ago, but I don't think anyone answered that question. The visa office hasn't asked me for it, but I thought since I didn't provide it in the first place and so many people on here seem to be doing it, I might as well send it along with bank statement and ownership doc they've requested, just in case.

The letter of confirmation from the sponsor is another of the most important things you need to include for the visa - the visa can be refused without it.

The sponsor needs to write a letter confirming his right to live in the UK and to be able to sponsor you, then details of his income and employment, his accommodation where you will live together, and a summary of your relationship. He should also list of documents that he has included with the application (his finances, accommodation etc.).

There is a sample letter on Transpondia's website:
http://www.londonelegance.com/transpondia/sites/default/files/spousal.pdf

It is listed in the supporting documents guidance (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/270197/sup-docs-settlement.pdf):

Evidence of your relationship to your sponsor and any contact between you
This could be a letter from your sponsor confirming your relationship and that they are supporting your application along with copies of:
- birth certificate or adoption certificate
- marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
- death or divorce certificate
- photographs of your wedding, civil partnership ceremony or other time spent together
- phone records
- emails, letters or cards

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »
We miraculously made the deadline for the extra documentation they asked for. Does anyone know if I can expect an email back confirming they've received the documents, or should I just sit tight?

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 10:32:29 PM »
We didn't get one when we recently submitted additional information, and I'm not sure that the helpline will have access to any information about additional documents (since they don't even have accurate information about applications).
Me: USC by parentage, UKC by birth
Hubby: UKC

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab