Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spousal Visa Application Details  (Read 3021 times)

• Liked: 1
Spousal Visa Application Details
« on: August 04, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »
Hello, UKY! It's been a while since I initially joined and posted on the Welcome Wagon board, but planning a wedding has the habit of sucking every spare moment from your life. ::) Now that that's behind me, fussing over prepping for my spousal visa application is the current timesuck!

I thought I'd start a new thread to catalog my experience... maybe it will help someone else someday, as so many of the posts on this lovely forum have helped me! I have some questions that I'd love to get feedback on as well.

Here's a quick recap/update on my situation: I'm a US citizen, and my husband is a UK citizen. We were married here in MA on the 21st of June, and he returned to the UK shortly after our honeymoon. I'll be applying for my visa with priority service in the next week or two; just waiting on some final documents from the hubs. After I obtain my visa, I plan to move to Essex to be with him sometime in September (if all goes smoothly!).

After sifting through the new 'family of a settled person visa' pages on the GOV.UK site, plus accounts from those here at UKY, I feel a lot less stressed and a bit more confident about applying. Nonetheless, I keep second-guessing myself and coming up with little questions here and there. So, for your reviewing pleasure, here is my personal itemized checklist of documents to be sent to UK Visas and Immigration at Sheffield (once I have applied online and gone to my biometrics appointment, of course).

My Info
   •   completed application printout
   •   receipt for priority service
   •   stamped biometrics
   •   2 UK size passport photos
   •   current passport
   •   all previous passports
   •   birth certificate (certified copy)
   •   Social Security Card
   •   letter of intent/character
   •   resumé/CV
   •   prepaid UPS Express packaging for return service

Husband's Info
   •   passport (certified copy)
   •   letter of sponsorship
   •   last 6 months pay slips
   •   last 6 months bank statements
   •   P60 tax documents for 2013 & 2014
   •   letter from employer
   •   work contract

Marriage/Relationship Evidence
   •   marriage certificate
   •   wedding photos
   •   iMessage and Skype logs
   •   letters/cards/postal correspondence
   •   boarding passes from flights back and forth
   •   tickets from activities done together (concerts, museums, theatre)
   •   a few photos of us together

Intended Residence
   •   letter signed by my husband's parents (where we intend to stay until we find our own place)
   •   Land Registry document (his parents own the house)

Whew! Am I missing anything? I've included some extras that it seems are unnecessary (SS Card, my letter of intent, resumé/CV, extra evidence of our relationship), but I figure these can't hurt... right? I've made copies of all the items we wish to receive back. Here are the things I'm curious about:

The GOV.UK site isn't very clear about the sponsorship form SU07 (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sponsor-a-visa-applicant-form-su07). I'm pretty sure I don't need to include this, but I just want to double check!

I'm also pretty sure I don't need to include the Appendix 2 (VAF 4A) form (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/270484/VAF4A-Appendix2.pdf). Is this correct?

I thought I had read somewhere that I'm supposed to include a printout of an example flight/itinerary of my intended travel date to the UK. True? False?

Do I need to worry about having A4 paper for printing the application out? Or will it print out alright on US 8 1/2 x 11" sized paper?

Lastly, although my husband and I will be moving into his parents' house when I arrive, the hubs is currently residing in a single-room studio flat. He's stated clearly in his sponsorship letter that this studio flat is temporary accommodation for himself until my arrival in the UK. Do you think they would still want to see his tenancy agreement for the flat? Even though I won't be living there? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!! :)
• Married a Brit on the 21st of June 2014
• Applied for Spousal Visa (Priority)
• Applied Online: 21 August
• Biometrics Appointment: 25 August
• Application Sent via FedEx Priority: 27 August
• Application Delivered to UKVI in Sheffield: 29 August
• Application Received & Processing Email: 9 September
• Request for Courier Account # Email: 9 September
• Decision Made Email w/ Return Tracking #: 25 September
• Visa Received via FedEx Priority: 26 September
• Moved to Essex, England: 6 October, 2014

• Liked: 56
Re: Spousal Visa Application Details
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 05:52:26 PM »
You are awesome! I too just got married and plan on moving over in the near future. We are currently trying to figure out the spousal visa application, and your post has just helped us out soooo much! Thank you!
Question for you - are you changing your surname? I do not want to and am unsure if this will be an issue for the application. And we can't even start the application until I get an early renewal for my passport because it would expire before the initial marriage visa would.
Thanks again for sharing your experience!
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 05:53:14 PM »
   •   Social Security Card
   •   letter of intent/character
   •   resumé/CV

You don't need any of these, so take them all out.

You don't need a letter of intent or character at all. If you wish you can include a cover letter, simply stating:

- type of visa applied for
- list of documents included
- any important information, such as a bad UK immigration history, criminal record, or anything unusual about the documents (i.e. explanation of unusual transactions on bank statements).

Husband's Info

You don't need this, so take it out. The certified passport copy is all you need.

His birth certificate would only be needed if you only had a regular photocopy of his passport, and in that case, the birth certificate would need to be original.

Marriage/Relationship Evidence
   •   iMessage and Skype logs

I wouldn't include actual iMessages content as you should not include any personal details of messages or emails. If you can just get a list of dates the messages were sent, that's all you need.

If you have exchanged emails, you can take a screenshot of your email inbox showing a list of dates and times. Same with the Skype log - just a list of calls made to each other.

No more than a couple of sheets of paper should be included for these.

Whew! Am I missing anything? I've included some extras that it seems are unnecessary (SS Card, my letter of intent, resumé/CV, extra evidence of our relationship), but I figure these can't hurt... right? I've made copies of all the items we wish to receive back. Here are the things I'm curious about:

Take out everything unnecessary. It's unnecessary for a reason, and will not be looked at or considered for the visa.

Including it will just bog down your application, make it heavier and more expensive to ship and will mean more work for UKVI as they have to sort through the unnecessary stuff to get to the important stuff.

The GOV.UK site isn't very clear about the sponsorship form SU07 (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sponsor-a-visa-applicant-form-su07). I'm pretty sure I don't need to include this, but I just want to double check!

No, you don't need it.

I'm also pretty sure I don't need to include the Appendix 2 (VAF 4A) form (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/270484/VAF4A-Appendix2.pdf). Is this correct?

No, you MUST include it. Your application is not complete without it, and can be refused!

Appendix 2 contains all of the most important details about how you meet all the visa requirements:

- your relationship
- which financial requirement category you are applying under
- your accommodation in the UK.

I thought I had read somewhere that I'm supposed to include a printout of an example flight/itinerary of my intended travel date to the UK. True? False?

True. Just find a flight itinerary online that you are considering booking, print it out and include it.

Do I need to worry about having A4 paper for printing the application out? Or will it print out alright on US 8 1/2 x 11" sized paper?

No, you don't need A4 paper, but just see if you can set the printing borders to US-sized paper so it prints correctly.

Lastly, although my husband and I will be moving into his parents' house when I arrive, the hubs is currently residing in a single-room studio flat. He's stated clearly in his sponsorship letter that this studio flat is temporary accommodation for himself until my arrival in the UK. Do you think they would still want to see his tenancy agreement for the flat? Even though I won't be living there? Thoughts?

You can include it if you like, but as you said, it's the evidence of where you WILL be living that is most important.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 05:12:24 AM »
You are awesome! I too just got married and plan on moving over in the near future. We are currently trying to figure out the spousal visa application, and your post has just helped us out soooo much! Thank you!

Thanks, SheIsis! Glad it was helpful for you, I know how stressful and confusing it is trying to sort all this visa stuff out!

Question for you - are you changing your surname? I do not want to and am unsure if this will be an issue for the application.

Yes, I've already changed my surname to my husband's. That's something that should have been decided when filling out your marriage license paperwork (in the US, anyways). It shouldn't affect your visa application if you have kept your maiden name. It's fairly common these days. :)

Ksand: Wow, thank you for such a detailed response!! And quick, to boot!

Take out everything unnecessary. It's unnecessary for a reason, and will not be looked at or considered for the visa.

Including it will just bog down your application, make it heavier and more expensive to ship and will mean more work for UKVI as they have to sort through the unnecessary stuff to get to the important stuff.

All good points. I guess I was going a little document-happy. ;D I shall remove the extra items and will opt for a cover letter. I'll add in the flight itinerary printout as well. And I think I'll make do without my husband's tenancy agreement for the flat.

No, you MUST include it. Your application is not complete without it, and can be refused!

Appendix 2 contains all of the most important details about how you meet all the visa requirements:

- your relationship
- which financial requirement category you are applying under
- your accommodation in the UK.

Okay... I think what had me confused was this page: https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/apply which makes it seem like only those applying from Cuba and North Korea need to fill it out.

Are VAF4A and Appendix 2 automatically included in the application for those applying online, then? Or do I still need to download them and fill them out separately?

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 05:32:31 AM »
Ksand: Wow, thank you for such a detailed response!! And quick, to boot!

All good points. I guess I was going a little document-happy. ;D I shall remove the extra items and will opt for a cover letter. I'll add in the flight itinerary printout as well. And I think I'll make do without my husband's tenancy agreement for the flat.

No problem :). We've had people include tons and tons of unnecessary stuff, because they thought it would make their application look better... except that they got so bogged down in sending all the extra bits that they completely overlooked ALL of the important documents, and didn't actually show that they met ANY of the requirements (other than the relationship one).

The most important evidence documents to send are:

- financial documents
- accommodation documents
- marriage certificate

Without those, your visa will be refused, no matter now many extra documents you include.

Okay... I think what had me confused was this page: https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/apply which makes it seem like only those applying from Cuba and North Korea need to fill it out.

Unfortunately, this is because the new UKVI website is basically a load of crap and doesn't include the most important information. The old website explicitly stated that EVERYONE must print and fill out Appendix 2. The new website conveniently forgets to mention this fact.

Are VAF4A and Appendix 2 automatically included in the application for those applying online, then? Or do I still need to download them and fill them out separately?

You DON'T need to fill out VAF4a, as VAF4a is just the paper version of the online application, but you DO need to print and fill out Appendix 2.

VAF4a is not accepted in the US, it is only accepted in Cuba and North Korea (this is what the website is talking about).  You can look at it for reference before filling out the online application (although the questions are very slightly different), but you do not actually fill it out.

However, you MUST print and fill out Appendix 2 as it is NOT included in the online application.

From reading the website, it reads as though Appendix 2 is supposed to be included in the online form, and that only people who cannot apply online should fill it out (i.e. in Cuba and North Korea), but it has NOT been added to the online form as of yet, so everyone needs to print it.

This has confused a number of people over the last few months, and UKVI in Sheffield have had to contact several people here on the forum to request that they complete Appendix 2 and send it to them. Which is very nice of them, because they used to just refuse the visa outright if Appendix 2 was not included.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »
We were asked to submit extra bank statements - 12 months instead of 6 months. As far as I know, nowhere in the documentation stated we needed anything beyond 6 months, so to be on the safe side you may want to consider including 12 months (with all relevant payments very clearly highlighted) to avoid delays.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:30:38 PM by minxy »
Priority spouse online visa application submitted: June 26 2014
Biometrics appt & sent off application: July 8
Application & docs arrived in Sheffield: July 11
Confirmation email from Sheffield: July 15
Decision email: Aug 18
Visa received: Aug 19
Moved to UK: Aug 22 2014
FLR(M) granted at premium service centre: April 20 2017

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 04:48:42 PM »
We were asked to submit extra bank statements - 12 months instead of 6 months. As far as I know, nowhere in the documentation stated we needed anything beyond 6 months, so to be on the safe side you may want to consider including 12 months (with all relevant payments very clearly highlighted) to avoid delays.

What financial requirement category are you applying under?

The number of months of bank statements you must include depends on the category. Some categories require only 6 months, others require 12 months of bank statements.

If the OP is applying under Category A (with same employer, earning at least £18,600 for a minimum of 6 months), they only need to provide 6 months of bank statements showing the deposit of 6 months of salary.

If the OP is applying under Category B (with current employer for LESS than 6 months, or variable income, or £18,600 earned for LESS than 6 months, or they are moving back from the US together), they MUST provide 12 months of bank statements, as they have to prove that they are currently earning £18,600 per year AND have earned £18,600 in the previous 12 months before applying.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:50:46 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 01:11:49 AM »
Unfortunately, this is because the new UKVI website is basically a load of crap and doesn't include the most important information. The old website explicitly stated that EVERYONE must print and fill out Appendix 2. The new website conveniently forgets to mention this fact...

...This has confused a number of people over the last few months, and UKVI in Sheffield have had to contact several people here on the forum to request that they complete Appendix 2 and send it to them. Which is very nice of them, because they used to just refuse the visa outright if Appendix 2 was not included.

Well, I'm glad it's not just me, then! ;) I'll be sure to include Appendix 2!

If the OP is applying under Category A (with same employer, earning at least £18,600 for a minimum of 6 months), they only need to provide 6 months of bank statements showing the deposit of 6 months of salary.

Hubs has worked the same job since 2011 and makes roughly £23,000 a year. That means Category A, if I'm not mistaken. So I should be fine with the 6 months slips and statements.

You should include a page about how your husband is a hero to all mankind.

We're supposed to be truthful in the application, dear. :P

• Liked: 149
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 02:57:03 AM »
Oh jeez......this thread has me starting to feel guilty about not seriously starting the info searching process. I really need to start reading though these threads and any official sites.....and then taking notes since my memory stinks. If the stock market cooperates and the Pound doesn't go up we are likely to make the move this next Spring. We can always put things off if things don't line up....we are happy here as well. A quick question though (since I haven't looked it up yet), if we are retiring to the UK do we still need proof of accommodation? Probably staying a week or so with my wife's folks until we can find a rental.....leading to house purchase.
Fred

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 05:56:07 AM »
Hubs has worked the same job since 2011 and makes roughly £23,000 a year. That means Category A, if I'm not mistaken. So I should be fine with the 6 months slips and statements.

Yep :).

Category A:

- He has been with the same employer at least 6 months
- He has been earning at least £18,600 in the UK for at least 6 months.

Lol :P.

A quick question though (since I haven't looked it up yet), if we are retiring to the UK do we still need proof of accommodation? Probably staying a week or so with my wife's folks until we can find a rental.....leading to house purchase.

Everyone needs proof of accommodation, regardless of their personal situation.

You would need to either show evidence of a house rental/purchase, or you would need to include a letter from her parents giving you permission to live in the home and stating it won't be overcrowded, plus their land registry document to show they own the property.

UKVI need to make sure that you have somewhere to go when you arrive and that you won't end up on the streets and trying to claim UK benefits just to get a roof over your head.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 05:34:56 PM »

Unfortunately, this is because the new UKVI website is basically a load of crap and doesn't include the most important information. The old website explicitly stated that EVERYONE must print and fill out Appendix 2. The new website conveniently forgets to mention this fact.

OMG YES! The new website is the most confusing thing I've ever seen and it gives NO  pertinent information. Thank you so much for the info. Do you work for the immigration services in the UK? If so, could you possibly direct me to a website or advisor (not a lawyer cause we've called them and they seem like they just want to rip you off) that will give me actual step by step instructions and requirements. Because the new website just sucks and makes you jump all over the place to find any answers. 
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
OMG YES! The new website is the most confusing thing I've ever seen and it gives NO  pertinent information.

The stupidest thing is that the website USED to contain a lot more information - I have no idea why they've taken so much of it out.

Thank you so much for the info. Do you work for the immigration services in the UK? If so, could you possibly direct me to a website or advisor (not a lawyer cause we've called them and they seem like they just want to rip you off) that will give me actual step by step instructions and requirements. Because the new website just sucks and makes you jump all over the place to find any answers. 

No, I don't work for the immigration services and the only official website for available information is the UKVI one.

However, if you have questions and would like some step-by-step help and advice, just start a thread of your own and ask us here on the forum :).

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 12:45:53 AM »
Still waiting on official bank statements from the hubs' bank (Lloyds). We've been waiting 10 days now since he requested them. I never thought statement printouts would be such an ordeal. It's holding up my application and it's driving me batty!! After enduring a long distance relationship one gets pretty good at waiting... but now that I feel like I'm so close to finally moving over there, I'm chomping at the bit. Ugh! >:(

Also, popping back onto this thread, I noticed my husband's (TheRandyRedcoat) post is gone. He says he didn't delete it. What happened? ???

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 07:56:52 AM »
Also, popping back onto this thread, I noticed my husband's (TheRandyRedcoat) post is gone. He says he didn't delete it. What happened? ???
I've never seen any posts from a user called TheRandyRedcoat and I don't recall seeing anything else posted on this thread since my last post on August 8th. I check the forum through the Recent Unread Topics page so I can see every new post that has been made since I last visited.

When did he post and what did it say?

According to his profile, he hasn't made any posts yet and hasn't visited the forum since 12pm on August 6th, 12 hours after he registered his account:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?action=profile;u=19905

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
I've never seen any posts from a user called TheRandyRedcoat...

...When did he post and what did it say?

How strange! It was certainly there briefly... or at least I was able to see it! I had even quoted him!

Quote from: TheRandyRedcoat on August 05, 2014, 07:00:04 PM
"You should include a page about how your husband is a hero to all mankind."

...Forum ghost!! [smiley=laugh4.gif]