Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiancee/Spouse visa? When and from where best to apply?  (Read 540 times)

• Liked: 0
Fiancee/Spouse visa? When and from where best to apply?
« on: August 15, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »
Hi,

Been trying to read around this as much as possible but a bit confused as to the best possible option so any help gratefully received.

I'm a British citizen by birth and my partner is a US citizen. We've just decided that we plan to get married but have not yet done so. My partner currently lives in another EU country on a year-long student visa but is making a brief visit to the UK (which is where I am).

In an ideal world, we'd be looking to give notice of the marriage during this visit, then get married in the UK during the partner's Christmas break from studies (we would like to marry as soon as possible). My partner would then remain in the EU country until completing her studies in the summer before coming to live here. This may be to work or it may be for a PhD program if she can get the one she wants.

Is this a practical sequence of events and when would it be best to apply for which visa, do people think? And where is it possible to apply from?

• Liked: 4985
Re: Fiancee/Spouse visa? When and from where best to apply?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 04:25:30 PM »
To marry in the UK, she will need to apply for a Marriage Visitor Visa.

I believe she can apply for the spouse visa from the country she currently holds a visa for. 

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 06:05:14 PM »
Thanks! It seems as if things could be a bit difficult, this visit might be too short to give notice (5 days only). Anyone know if they are strict on the 7 days residency?
I can't see where a clear 22 days is going to come from before the summer (7 days + 15 days notice), any idea as to the best way for me to handle this?

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 06:16:07 PM »
Thanks! It seems as if things could be a bit difficult, this visit might be too short to give notice (5 days only). Anyone know if they are strict on the 7 days residency?
I can't see where a clear 22 days is going to come from before the summer (7 days + 15 days notice), any idea as to the best way for me to handle this?

Yeah, as far as I know, it's strict - I imagine it will be checked when you give notice to marry.

One other option might be to marry in Scotland as there is no residency period there.

My brother and his fiance (both UK citizens) live abroad but are coming home to get married in October in Scotland. They arrive on Sunday, are marrying on Thursday and then leaving the next Tuesday.

Remember that your fiance will need to apply for the Marriage Visitor Visa, which could take a while to get, so you would need to make sure you have enough time to get the visa before her trip to the UK.

What about marrying in the country where she lives, or another EU country instead? There may be options without residency periods.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 01:14:20 PM »
Thanks for the help on this, my partner has managed to stay a little longer on this visit and we now have everything booked!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »
Thanks for the help on this, my partner has managed to stay a little longer on this visit and we now have everything booked!

Please get a Marriage Visitor Visa for the big day so that everything goes to plan.  Best of luck!   :D

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:20:31 AM »
Hi again!

Currently applying for the marriage visitor visa - couple of things we're not entirely sure about on the form and seeing as everyone here has been so helpful I thought I'd ask again.
When it asks about friends and family in the UK, does that include me or is that taken for granted?
When it asks for other countries that my partner has visited other than country of residence, does this include the EU country she is now living and studying in for this year? Is every time she comes to visit me here and then returns there count as a visit to both the UK and a visit to that country? This section gets quite complicated as she has lived in many different places for short periods, both EU and non-EU.
Is the 'What will you do after the ceremony?' question referring to her plans to go back to the EU country a few weeks later, or is it more referring to a reception or similar (though why they'd want to know such a thing I have no idea)?
How is it generally best to view the finances relating to the visit?
And lastly, is there anything that it would be beneficial to say in the 'Any other information' section?

Sorry for the overload, panicking a bit here but I guess it's good practice for when she comes permanently. Any help gratefully received!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:57:11 AM by by14 »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab