Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: BBC iPlayer  (Read 2097 times)

• Liked: 1
BBC iPlayer
« on: August 18, 2014, 02:50:51 AM »
Help!! Please!!

Does anyone know how to get BBC iPlayer on a US TV (WD TV media plus)? We're completely out of ideas, and are somewhat desperate. :) 

If so, please send me a PM (to take it offline).

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:55:15 AM by sevans »

Re: BBC iPlayer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:37:18 AM »
BBC iPlayer is not legally available outside the UK. However you could try googling your question.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 12:32:51 AM »
You need a VPN - virtual private network.  Checkout tunnelbear.com - it's cheap and very easy to use.  Once you have installed Tunnelbear, you will be able to watch all the UK On Demand channels.  Simples :)

And whilst I know it's technically not legal to watch BBCiPlayer outside of the UK, what are we to do?  There is no mechanism to pay the BBC.  The issue has been raised with the BBC my various expat groups, petitions etc. but the BBC remains immune to our pleas!

let me know how you get on!

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:09:13 AM »
You need a VPN - virtual private network.  Checkout tunnelbear.com - it's cheap and very easy to use.  Once you have installed Tunnelbear, you will be able to watch all the UK On Demand channels.  Simples :)

And whilst I know it's technically not legal to watch BBCiPlayer outside of the UK, what are we to do?  There is no mechanism to pay the BBC.  The issue has been raised with the BBC my various expat groups, petitions etc. but the BBC remains immune to our pleas!

Thanks very much for this. I'll let you know how we get on. [Although, we do want it on the TV, not computer so not sure this will work out ...]

And whilst I know it's technically not legal to watch BBCiPlayer outside of the UK, what are we to do?  There is no mechanism to pay the BBC.  The issue has been raised with the BBC my various expat groups, petitions etc. but the BBC remains immune to our pleas!

Yes, just discussing this very issue -- we'd be more than happy to pay the fees if there was a way to do so.    
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:15:34 AM by sevans »

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 04:13:18 AM »
BBC iPlayer is not legally available outside the UK. However you could try googling your question.

1. Yes, I know.
2. Yes. I have, thanks.

Thanks to all who've sent me a PM. Very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:15:15 AM by sevans »

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:04:44 AM »
Yes, just discussing this very issue -- we'd be more than happy to pay the fees if there was a way to do so.    

It's not just the BBC iplayer, it's all online UK TV channels... You can't watch any of them from outside the UK, and you can't watch any US online shows outside the US (you also can't view Hulu in the UK either). It's all to do with international viewing rights and laws.

If you're in the UK and you try to catch up on US TV shows on the network websites, the sites immediately recognise that you are not in the US (from your IP address), and won't let you watch anything. Hence the need for a VPN to mask the UK (or US) IP :).

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 08:14:32 AM »
You need a VPN - virtual private network.  Checkout tunnelbear.com - it's cheap and very easy to use.  Once you have installed Tunnelbear, you will be able to watch all the UK On Demand channels.  Simples :)

This tunnelbear looks awesome! I was this close to downloading it as I am going back to the USA at the end of the month..... but the internet at my mother's house is agonizingly slow, so there really is no point in it, sigh  :( 
I would mainly get it for the soaps anyway   :D as everything else I watch here is tivo-d and saved for when I come back!
I do watch the odd episode of the soaps on youtube (when I have decent internet)
Other than that there is Doctor Who which is on BBC America and good old PBS ;D

Thanks very much for this. I'll let you know how we get on. [Although, we do want it on the TV, not computer so not sure this will work out ...]

Plug your laptop into the TV with an HDMI cord to watch your shows on TV  ;)

• Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »

And whilst I know it's technically not legal to watch BBCiPlayer outside of the UK, what are we to do?  There is no mechanism to pay the BBC.  The issue has been raised with the BBC my various expat groups, petitions etc. but the BBC remains immune to our pleas!

Some of this comes down to licensing and being able to sell programmes. So for example, the BBC want to sell Dr Who (or show it on BBC America), that affects the licensing if they are allowing people access to it on iPlayer abroad.

Same goes for US TV in the UK....can't access online content, e.g. The Daily Show.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 01:18:54 PM »
[Although, we do want it on the TV, not computer so not sure this will work out ...]

If you are an Apple household, you can stream directly from your computer to your TV.  Works like a charm. 

We don't even have cable anymore.  We watch everything through Netflix, Hulu Plus and through the VPN.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 01:20:53 PM »
[Although, we do want it on the TV, not computer so not sure this will work out ...]

An if you're not an Apple household, you can stream from the computer to your TV with a Chromecast, which works nicely, too.

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »
An if you're not an Apple household, you can stream from the computer to your TV with a Chromecast, which works nicely, too.

Yeah, we're not an Apple household. But I'll definitely look into Chromecast. Many thanks!!

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 02:23:04 PM »
Same goes for US TV in the UK....can't access online content, e.g. The Daily Show.

I'll trade you my American shows for your BBC any day! :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab