Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR Questions  (Read 266 times)

• In my nothing you meant everything to me
  • Liked: 4
ILR Questions
« on: August 31, 2014, 02:05:20 PM »
Slightly panicking here.

I just reached my 2 years living in the UK this month. August 14, to be exact.

I believe I'm on the "old rules," as I applied for my visa before July 2012.

As per advice received from WONDERFUL people on this forum, I have been studying like crazy the Official Handbook for the Life in the UK Test and know more about this country than most people I know.

My spousal visa expires 14 November 2014.  I just registered and booked my Life In The UK Test and the next available test isn't until the end of October.
I'm panicking now.

• How much of a problem is it that I cannot get in to take the test until about 3 weeks before my visa expires?
  • Will I be in trouble/illegal/unable to work during the time that my application is being processed if my visa expires in the meantime?
  • How complicated and time consuming is the application process?
  • Is there anything else I should be/ can be doing in the meantime, or must I wait until I take the test?

My 2 kids have dependent visas as well that will need renewing, or changing to ILR at the same time.

Thank you.  You guys have made my life so much easier!

• Liked: 3595
Re: ILR Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »
I believe I'm on the "old rules," as I applied for my visa before July 2012.

Yes, as long as you applied before July 9th 2012 and your visa is valid for 27 months (not 33 months), you will be under the old rules.

• How much of a problem is it that I cannot get in to take the test until about 3 weeks before my visa expires?

Shouldn't be an issue at all, as long as you pass it and can get the application mailed in/attend an in-person appointment before your visa expires.

If you fail it, you have to wait 7 days before you can take it again.

• Will I be in trouble/illegal/unable to work during the time that my application is being processed if my visa expires in the meantime?

No, your current visa status is extended while your visa is processing, so you can continue to work. Currently, it's taking 4-5 months for ILR postal applications to be processed.

• How complicated and time consuming is the application process?

Not very complicated - in fact, it's much easier than your spousal visa. There's no official income or accommodation requirement.

You just fill out the application, gather the documents (all listed on the application form) and mail it in.

• Is there anything else I should be/ can be doing in the meantime, or must I wait until I take the test?

You will need to gather your documents.

You need to provide 6 official letters in both you and your spouse's names, addressed to you both at the same address, covering the entire 2 years of the visa.

Basically, you need one document in each name for each 4-month period of the last 2 years - either 6 jointly addressed, 12 separately addressed, or a combination of both. They must be from at least 3 different sources and the list of acceptable documents is on the application form (i.e. tenancy agreements, bank statements, utility bills, letters from HMRC/DVLA/NHS etc.).

See here for the application form (with all the documents required listed on it):
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/314891/SET_M__06-14.pdf

• Liked: 0
Re: ILR Questions
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »
Hi Joy,

my visa expires the day before you  :) will you be posting your application or attending an in-person appointment?

Sponsored Links