Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: working holidaymaker/citzenship questions  (Read 1104 times)

• Liked: 0
working holidaymaker/citzenship questions
« on: May 13, 2003, 10:12:48 AM »
Hi, everyone  :)

brief introduction, i am 19, my boyfriend is 20, he lives in england, isnt working but is a student.
i am going to start a part time job within the next day or so.
he is planning to come visit next month, for about 2 months. i would like to save money and go back with him, hopefully on a working holidaymaker.
i should also say that although i want to move to england to be with my boyfriend, we arent thinking of marriage any time soon.
ive looked on loads of sites, it seems, for information about working holidaymakers and citizenship, but i still have soo many questions.
i have recently called the consulate general in chicago.
i asked about sufficient funds and was hoping i could get a specific answer or at least some kind of guidance.
so my first question, is this: if i am to stay in the uk for 2 years, and will stay with my boyfriend, how much would be sufficient?
the woman i talked to on the phone also said that they would want to be sure i had enough money to get me there and back, does this mean they would be satisfied if i just had my flight confirmation (of course id have money, though)

my second question is, could one of my boyfriends parents sponsor me? (he lives at home) and if so, would they consider the fact that they own their house, or would they not take it into consideration because they dont make a lot of money?

my third question is, if this goes through, and while in the uk, could i apply for a 5 year visa before the 2 years is up? again, if so, how does the sufficient funds part come into play here?

fourth question: if i can apply for a 5 year visa, would they take into account the 2 years i spent with the holidaymaker? if so, could i then apply for citizenship after ive stayed for 3 years?

well there it all is, any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
diabolicdeviant  :D

Re: working holidaymaker/citzenship questions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 03:19:35 PM »

so my first question, is this: if i am to stay in the uk for 2 years, and will stay with my boyfriend, how much would be sufficient?
the woman i talked to on the phone also said that they would want to be sure i had enough money to get me there and back, does this mean they would be satisfied if i just had my flight confirmation (of course id have money, though)

Welcome!  You're asking a lot of tough questions to which I don't think anyone here will have any concrete answers for.  How much is sufficient to live on is somewhat in the eye of the beholder, really.  A lot will depend on where you will be living and such.  Will you be renting independently or living with others?  How many hours do you intend to work and what kind of pay do you think you can get?  How much will you be paying for travel?  Keep in mind taxes are sky high here and you can expect about 20% of your pay cheque to be eaten by them.  There's also things like phone, gas, electricity, etc.  Will you be paying these in whole or in part?  

Obviously, try to have as much as possible but for certain, think about what your circumstances would be and then go from there.  In your situation, I would say have at the very least a good $7,000 - $10,000.  You could most likely get away with having less, but clearly the more you have, the better off you are.

my second question is, could one of my boyfriends parents sponsor me? (he lives at home) and if so, would they consider the fact that they own their house, or would they not take it into consideration because they dont make a lot of money?

It certainly won't hurt you if you can get a letter from his parents saying they're willing to put you up and help take care of you while you're there.  Shouldn't matter how much they are making.

my third question is, if this goes through, and while in the uk, could i apply for a 5 year visa before the 2 years is up? again, if so, how does the sufficient funds part come into play here?

fourth question: if i can apply for a 5 year visa, would they take into account the 2 years i spent with the holidaymaker? if so, could i then apply for citizenship after ive stayed for 3 years?

I have absolutely no idea on either of these questions and sorry that I'm not much help.  I think that you might, again, need to contact the British Consular's office or e-mail Immigration (Home Office) to see what they say in these regards.  

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab