Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spouse Visa application submitted (Armed Forces dependent)  (Read 4712 times)

• Liked: 4
Spouse Visa application submitted (Armed Forces dependent)
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:16:58 PM »
Hello Fabulous Folks of this Forum
This is my first posting and I'd like to send a thousand thank yous to everyone who has posted on here with visa information because I couldn't have gotten this far with out you! The ukba website is a nightmare to say the least. Here is a summary of my experience so far and the documents I sent, in case it helps anyone else. I am currently anxiously awaiting the email that says they've received my application, I know fedex delivered it two days ago in Sheffield.   :-[

I am a US citizen in San Diego CA and my husband is a British citizen in the British Army, posted in Plymouth. As you can see below, I did several steps in person instead of waiting for things to be mailed. I'm trying to get this visa asap.

Sep 5 2013- met in Australia
(I went to UK twice and he came to USA twice to visit and meet family)
Aug 18 2014- married at the San Diego Zoo
Aug 19- submitted marriage license to county office in person
Aug 28- picked up marriage certificate in person and then went to my passport appointment at the San Diego office (needed new passport with new married name). They gave me gave me expedited 2 day processing (with Will Call pick up instead of mailing), I suspect because I mentioned he is active duty military and in the USA they respect that (apparently not in the UK!)
Sep 2- picked up new passport then promptly found wifi to submit my online visa application and schedule biometrics (had my laptop with me, coffee shop in the passport building had free wifi)
Sep 5- biometrics appointment at the San Marcos office. Paid for priority service, gathered all my documents and mailed everything off at the local FedEx office with Priority International shipping.
Sep 8- FedEx tracking shows package was received and signed for in Sheffield.
Really hoping to receive an email soon from ukba that they received my application!

I found an extra layer of complication and confusion because my husband is HM Forces and there is separate immigration rules that apply to spouses and family of Armed Forces. The UK gov (including their armed forces websites) still do not post clear information on this. I think I figured out what to do (see my list of documents below), and I eventually found confirmation of this at http://www.aff.org.uk/army_family_life/foreign_commonwealh/visas.htm (yes it says commonwealth but the info applies to British citizens too).

We will be assigned Service Family Accommodation through the MOD but not until they see proof I have actually received my visa - more stressful hassle. This means I did not have an accommodation address to put on the visa forms so I listed the address of his unit in Plymouth. The welfare officer (welfare means something else in the UK armed forces, not like USA welfare) confirmed this is the usual process for foreign spouses of british armed forces and their visa applications. Still extra nerve-racking!

Visa application and supporting evidence Table of Contents:

Introduction Letter from me stating visa I'm applying for and referencing the Appendix Armed Forces as well as Appendix FM and Appendix FM-SE. I also included a brief explanation of a speeding ticket I received in California last year and a quick visit to an urgent care clinic when I was in the UK to get a prescription for a tummy issue (it was a sunday evening and *all* stores were closed already in the UK! I will now always have basic american OTC drugs on hand since these things can be extremely hard to come by in the UK. Lesson learned the hard way!)

Section A: Application Documents
-print out of online visa application
-VAF Armed Forces (almost exactly the same at the online application, printed and filled out by hand)
-stamped biometrics appointment
-receipt for settlement priority service
-print out of possible travel itinerary

Section B: Application Identification
-2 passport photos
-current passport and my previous expired passports
-copies of the biometrics page of all my passports

Section C: Sponsor Information
-letter of sponsorship from my husband (including an explanation about the dates of his payslips- he was in the USA for our wedding and could not get the most recent payslip/bank statement until he returned to the UK which he then sent to me digitally)
-certified copy of his British passport
-certified copy of his military ID
-print out of his Army JPA assignment order (stating he is posted to Plymouth for 3 years)
-official letter from Army Welfare Officer confirming his enlistment date, years of service, and that housing will be assigned to us in the Plymouth area prior to my arrival in the UK

Section D: Financial Information
-Appendix 2 Armed Forces Financial Requirement (almost exactly the same as the usual Appendix 2, printed and filled out by hand)
-7 payslips from British Army (6 original plus the most recent he scanned and emailed to me, because of that detail about documents being dated within 28 days)
-7 bank statements showing pay deposit (6 original plus the most recent he scanned and emailed to me)
-P60 (original and a copy)
-online print out of his checking and savings account summary (not needed I know but it made me feel better to include proof of his solid financial status)

Section E: Accommodation Information
-printed emails from the MOD Housing Services Allocation Officer stating they have received his application for family housing and will make the official offer of a house when I actually have my visa
-a note to also refer to the official letter from Welfare Officer that guarantees we are entitled to MOD family housing before I arrive in the UK

Section F: Relationship Evidence
-original and copy of Marriage Certificate
-wedding invitation (not really needed I know)
-2 photos of us (when we met in Australia and at our wedding)
-copies of our travel itineraries of when we visited each other
-boarding passes of those flights (some were misplaced and I mentioned that)
-printouts of email inbox showing communications
-printouts of Skype log
-printouts of quantity of texting using WhatsApp

FedEx Waybill for return shipment and a FedEx envelope

A few other details about FedEx, incorrect info on my Biometrics printout, speeding ticket, and cats-

-I deliberated over whether to mark Yes on the visa form for receiving health care in the UK and criminal convictions. After reading everything I could find on the internet and this forum, I decided it was better to mark yes and include an explanation in my cover letter (the USA speeding ticket and the UK prescription for a tummy problem) than for them to come back and say I lied/omitted information and ban me from the UK for ten years. Holy toledo batman!

-I set up an online account with FedEx with my credit card. I found the International Waybill form at the local FedEx office and included my account number in the Bill To Recipient section. The FedEx employee at the office in San Marcos was very helpful and did seem familiar with this kind of thing. My package was 1.9 pounds total and cost $101. I did not use a binder or sleeve protectors, but organized each section with clips and labels.

-The visa application website put the wrong thing for my passport number on the printout of my Biometrics appointment (wtf!?) so when I got to my appointment I explained it to the lady at check in who then told me to explain it to the officer (who was very nice and sympathetic of the UK visa process lol) who then told me to make sure it scanned correctly when I got my fingerprints taken. The technician who took my fingerprints and photo was very nice and was able to simply scan the code on my printout and edit the information boxes that popped up on her computer, so the correct passport number was entered into the system before she proceeded. Phwew!

-I am also taking my 2 cats with me when I finally get my visa. I've done all the required steps so far (like microchip and rabies vaccine) and once I know my travel date I will get my vet to complete Annex II and I've been told I overnight mail it to the USDA office in Los Angeles so the USDA Vet can stamp and sign it.

-I've spoken with Virgin Atlantic about their pet cargo procedure and fees. They seem very nice, knowledgeable and really experienced with flying pets. They have a pet frequent flyer program! This makes me feel pretty solid about using them to transport my 'four-footed children'. I was quoted about $2000 for two medium sized kennels (the small size is really too small for cats, its for kittens and reptiles) plus 359 pounds upon arrival for the Heathrow Animal Reception Centre. Flying nonstop LAX-LHR and only Virgin flight number 008 will transport pets in cargo.

I know thats a ton of stuff in one post but just thought to include everything I know in case others (especially Armed Forces spouses) might be looking  ;D
Thanks!
5 Sep 13-met in Australia
18 Aug 14- married in USA
2 Sep 14- submitted application online
5 Sep 14- biometrics apptointment, priority service paid for, and entire visa app mailed to Sheffield
8 Sep 14- Fedex tracking package received & signed for!
13 Sep 14 - Email received acknowledging application received & priority status
2 Oct 14- Visa received!!

• Liked: 3598
Re: Spouse Visa application submitted (Armed Forces dependent)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:13:29 PM »
I found an extra layer of complication and confusion because my husband is HM Forces and there is separate immigration rules that apply to spouses and family of Armed Forces.

Actually, there isn't really anything different about it anymore. You used to be exempt from the financial requirements but now you have to meet all the same requirements as the spouse of someone who isn't in the Armed Forces.

As far as I can tell, nothing on the link you posted is any different from what anyone else has to do to apply.

Section A: Application Documents
-print out of online visa application
-VAF Armed Forces (almost exactly the same at the online application, printed and filled out by hand)

I'm not sure if you actually need to fill out VAF Armed Forces, as they don't accept paper application forms in the US, which is why you apply online. The reason it's almost exactly the same as the online form is presumably because it IS the online form.

For anyone applying as a spouse of someone not in the forces, they fill out the online application (not the paper VAF4a) and VAF Appendix 2... so I would assume for you, you do the same, just with the Armed Forces version: apply online and fill out Appendix 2 for Armed Forces.

-online print out of his checking and savings account summary (not needed I know but it made me feel better to include proof of his solid financial status)

Honestly, I would take it out.

Unless you are also applying under Category D: Cash Savings, to make up the income requirement, they won't even look at it.

-I deliberated over whether to mark Yes on the visa form for receiving health care in the UK and criminal convictions. After reading everything I could find on the internet and this forum, I decided it was better to mark yes and include an explanation in my cover letter (the USA speeding ticket and the UK prescription for a tummy problem) than for them to come back and say I lied/omitted information and ban me from the UK for ten years. Holy toledo batman!

Yes, it's always best to be completely honest.

-I set up an online account with FedEx with my credit card. I found the International Waybill form at the local FedEx office and included my account number in the Bill To Recipient section. The FedEx employee at the office in San Marcos was very helpful and did seem familiar with this kind of thing. My package was 1.9 pounds total and cost $101. I did not use a binder or sleeve protectors, but organized each section with clips and labels.

Sounds good :).

-The visa application website put the wrong thing for my passport number on the printout of my Biometrics appointment (wtf!?) so when I got to my appointment I explained it to the lady at check in who then told me to explain it to the officer (who was very nice and sympathetic of the UK visa process lol) who then told me to make sure it scanned correctly when I got my fingerprints taken. The technician who took my fingerprints and photo was very nice and was able to simply scan the code on my printout and edit the information boxes that popped up on her computer, so the correct passport number was entered into the system before she proceeded. Phwew!

You did exactly the right thing :).

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 12:33:06 AM »
Good point ksand24 so I will explain what I meant my extra complications for Armed Forces  :)

It is pretty much the same as in the requirements are the same, the details given on the forms are the same, and the financial requirements are the same. However, when looking for information and forms you also come across all the old and out of date things relating to Armed Forces immigration law in addition to the 'regular' stuff. You also find things relating to 'Commonwealth' serving in the HM Forces which is different than a British citizen in the HM Forces. So yeah I think its a bit extra confusing. We also found his Welfare Office was used to Commonwealth/spouse visa applications but had never done anything relating specifically to a British citizen with a foreign spouse, so even they gave us some incorrect (and out of date) information.

Here is the big thing that IS different- when applying under the Appendix Armed Forces as a spouse/child of a British citizen in the Armed Forces, you can get Limited Leave to Enter for 5 years (instead of 2.5 years). Of course if my husband leaves the British Army before that 5 year visa expires, my visa will need to be changed. Refer to paragraphs 23 and 24 of Appendix Armed Forces. (I think this is because a lot of military families end up overseas so applying for Further Leave to Remain is harder to do. For example, my husband as a kid with his dad in the army, as well as his uncle in the army with wife and kids, have spent years living in Canada and Germany for their military postings)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/302672/20140410_Immigration_Rules_-_Appendix_Armed_Forces_MASTER.pdf

According to everything I read, including the older information and guidelines and the newer rules and guidelines, I did think it best to include VAF Armed Forces (in addition to the usual online application) and Appendix 2 AF. These are the only places to 'officially' designate (by checking the correct box) that you are applying to enter as "the partner or child of a British citizen member of HM Forces applying under the Appendix Armed Forces". Every other detail about these 2 forms is exactly the same as the 'regular' versions. And everyone from the USA must apply with the online application (which then takes you to biometrics scheduling and payment) as ksand24 mentioned.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-uk-visa-as-member-of-hm-armed-forces-vaf-af

Of course if I find out that I did not do the right thing with my armed forces spouse visa application, I will update this posting to include that information. But fingers crossed (and arms and eyes and everything else and knock on wood) all is well and my application will be approved.
5 Sep 14- biometrics apptointment, priority service paid for, and entire visa app mailed to Sheffield

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 03:23:25 AM »
Good luck! And thank you so much for posting this! My fiancé is in the RAF and I cannot tell you how much more helpful you've been in one day than anyone I've spoken to thus far. We're getting married in December and hopefully I'll have everything together to submit right away. I'm also hoping to expedite the process by paying a little more.

How did you go about finding out all the things you needed to submit? I've been to so many sites including the uk government site and I'm just not getting clear information. I want to do this right and I only want to do it one time. I'm so nervous! :/
First Met-March 22 2013
Started dating-March 25 2013
Engaged-June 30 2014
Married-December 27 2014
Application submitted-January 30 2015
Biometrics-February 5 2015
Documents sent-February 9 2015
Documents recieved at Sheffield- February 11 2015
Visa decision email-February 24 2015
Visa received-February 26 2015
Flights booked-March 4 2015

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 03:28:30 AM »
Also I just re-read your post. I'm gonna also have to get a new passport? Oh dear lord the hoops they make you jump through for love!
First Met-March 22 2013
Engaged-June 30 2014
Married-December 27 2014

• Liked: 134
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 04:53:20 AM »
Also I just re-read your post. I'm gonna also have to get a new passport? Oh dear lord the hoops they make you jump through for love!

You do not necessarily need to get a new passport.  I believe what kookycat was referring to is her current passport in addition to her old passports which are now expired.   You do not have to get a new one if yours is still perfectly valid (preferably not expiring too soon).  You can get a new one if you wish to change your name in the passport, as kookycat did, or, if you are fine having all visas and booked travel under your maiden name, you can just keep the passport you currently have.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »
You do not necessarily need to get a new passport.  I believe what kookycat was referring to is her current passport in addition to her old passports which are now expired.   You do not have to get a new one if yours is still perfectly valid (preferably not expiring too soon).  You can get a new one if you wish to change your name in the passport, as kookycat did, or, if you are fine having all visas and booked travel under your maiden name, you can just keep the passport you currently have.

Ok perfect! Thanks!
First Met-March 22 2013
Engaged-June 30 2014
Married-December 27 2014

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 06:22:05 PM »
I personally felt it was easier to get a new passport with my new married name, and have all applications and visas and (and future extensions) applied for with that name. Instead of applying initially with maiden name and then later wanting to change to married name. For the FLR and ILR you'll need to show things like council tax and proof of living together and the whole kit and caboodle just seemed simpler to do by using my married name from the very beginning. Just my own feelings. It only added a couple days to my visa application process because they gave me 2 day expedited processing.  (The San Diego passport office does not require proof of immediate travel in order to make an appointment for an expedited application, check what the passport agency office closest to you says on their website, some require proof of immediate travel and some do not. Its really easy to make an appointment with their automated phone system.)

• Liked: 4990
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 06:38:35 PM »
I personally felt it was easier to get a new passport with my new married name, and have all applications and visas and (and future extensions) applied for with that name. Instead of applying initially with maiden name and then later wanting to change to married name.

This is very true.  A little extra time before you apply saves hassle down the road.  Though lots of people don't mind using their maiden name for travel and use their married name just fine for everything else.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 10:49:32 PM »
I did the same (except I had 6 months to wait to be eligible for the visa so I did it after I got back from my visit and before we sent in our application- took about 4 weeks).  It worked out as my passport would have expired in Feb 2017.  I didn't feel like trying to balance a passport renewal with a FLR application so I changed my name and renewed my passport all in one swoop!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 07:36:49 PM »
I got the email from Sheffield they have received my application and priority status! :D
The curious thing is, it was sent at "13 September 2014 00:34" which is a Saturday. FedEx tracking showed they received it Monday morning on 08 Sep. So there must be a technological delay from when the email was sent and when I received it because I cannot image a gov office is open on a Saturday lol.

(btw I find myself obsessive compulsively checking my email like every hour of every day because somehow that might make the email and my visa appear faster........right?  ::))

"Dear Applicant,

Your UK visa application has arrived safely at UK Visas & Immigration, Sheffield and is currently being processed.

Priority Service:

Your application will be placed in the front of the queue and assessed ahead of other non-priority visa applications.
..."

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 03:11:14 AM »
Congrats dear! I hope it goes quickly!  ;D
First Met-March 22 2013
Engaged-June 30 2014
Married-December 27 2014

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 07:14:46 PM »
Update!
I just got my visa this morning! Super duper happy :)

It is for the 'regular' term of ~2.5 years. Not the 5 year visa from the Armed Forces Appendix, which I combed through every dang detail in those documents and it seemed like I qualified for it. But whatever, I'm certainly not complaining! In my cover letter I mentioned the 5 year LLE visa for armed forces spouses. There was no explanation of why I did not get that, I just got my passport/visa and documents in the package.

The housing information I provided was apparently adequate. All I had was a certified letter from my husbands welfare officer saying we are guaranteed Family Service Housing, and a copy of the email from the housing allocation officer stating they cannot assign us a house until they see proof I received my visa. (Just emailed them a scan of my visa.)

Hope this helps any body else looking for information for Armed Forces family visas. Thanks very much and good luck to all!

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »
Congratulations :).

It is for the 'regular' term of ~2.5 years. Not the 5 year visa from the Armed Forces Appendix, which I combed through every dang detail in those documents and it seemed like I qualified for it. But whatever, I'm certainly not complaining! In my cover letter I mentioned the 5 year LLE visa for armed forces spouses. There was no explanation of why I did not get that, I just got my passport/visa and documents in the package.

You didn't get the 5-year visa because it wasn't a visa you could qualify for. As far as I am aware, that visa is only for family members of foreign/Commonwealth (non-UK) citizens serving in the UK forces.

As I'm sure I mentioned, there are no special circumstances or special visas for family members of UK citizens in the UK forces - you just get the same 2.5-year visa as everyone else.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:29:28 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »
Thanks ksand24! But I will respectfully disagree ;) On pages 2 and 9 of the Appendix Armed Forces (as well as on both the application form and Appendix 2 for Armed Forces) it clearly states this is also for spouses of British citizens in HM Forces, not just commonwealth. (It seems logical, why should commonwealth forces get something that British citizen forces do not, but whatever who knows, again I'm not complaining.) At least now if he wants to leave the army in the next few years we don't have to also fuss my visa.

And I want to say that I super appreciate your expertise and your willingness to respond and answer questions :) You're the cats meow!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab