Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Qs on Planning for FLR(M), ILR, and Citizenship + Name Change  (Read 786 times)

• Liked: 24
Qs on Planning for FLR(M), ILR, and Citizenship + Name Change
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:28:50 PM »
Hello,

I'm wondering if any of you kind, knowledgeable, experienced folks could be my sounding board and offer any advice. I've read up as much as I can to avoid unnecessary questions.

I want to plan ahead so there are no last-minute surprises. Can someone double-check my math? Does this look ok?
18 Oct 2013 - Received Spouse Visa
13 Nov 2013 - Entered UK
15 Apr 2016 - Apply for FLR(M)? (13 May 2016 would be 30 months in UK)
18 Oct 2018 - Apply for ILR (13 Nov 2018 would be 60 months in UK)?
14 Nov 2019 - Apply for citizenship (Do I need to wait 12 months after obtaining ILR?)?

Other Questions:
1. When should I renew my passport with my married name? My US Passport expires Nov 2020. I don't have a BRP yet (I'm assuming I'd get one after filing FLR(M)). I'd like to get as much life out of it as possible, and definitely don't want to have to change the name on my BRP separately (unnecessary waiting). Should I just wait all the way until the end after citizenship is settled? Or should I do it less than 3 months before applying for ILR?

2. For FLR(M) and the 6 jointly addressed letters, can they be a mixture of maiden and married name? I've read that it doesn't matter, but I want to be sure. I'm continuing the process of adding my name to bills etc., and thought maybe I should have a mixture of some maiden and some married so I have a variety to choose from. A friend of mine said they gave her a hard time when she was applying to take the Life in the UK exam, since all her ID proof letters were in her married name but her passport and visa were in her maiden name.

3. I'm about to get my provisional and full driving license. Should I do it in my married name? Or should it match my passport (and later my BRP)? Or does it absolutely make no difference?

If possible, we would like to save money, but also have my passport in hand as much as possible, since we do a lot of traveling abroad.

Sorry this is so long and detailed. A big THANK YOU in advance for your help!
26 Jul 2013 - Legal marriage
17 Sep 2013 - Posted docs to visa expeditor to submit to UKBA
18 Oct 2013 - Spouse visa received
27 Oct 2013 - Wedding ceremony
13 Nov 2013 - Entered UK on spouse visa
17 Jun 2016 - FLR(M) Granted at PSC
5 Sep 2017 - Passed LITUK
28 Nov 2018 - Applied for ILR via online SET(M), attended UKVCAS appointment in Birmingham (Super Priority)
10 Dec 2018 - Received ILR BRP
1 & 30  Aug 2019 - Applied for naturalisation & UKVCAS appt
12 Sep 2019 - Approval letter
5 Oct 2019 - Extension granted
11 Feb 2020 - Ceremony!! Yay!

• Liked: 3595
Re: Qs on Planning for FLR(M), ILR, and Citizenship + Name Change
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 01:13:15 PM »
Your timeline looks okay, although there will also be the processing time for the FLR(M) and ILR to factor in too, as if you apply by post they won't actually be issued on those dates.

You don't need to have ILR for 12 months if you are still married to a UK citizen when you apply for citizenship. So you can apply for citizenship as soon as you have your ILR... Theoretically October 2018, but of course it depends how long it takes for the ILR to be processed and mailed to you.

1. It's up to you when you change your name on your passport. You will get BRPs when you apply for both FLR and ILR and they will only be issued in the name on your passport. If it doesn't expire until 2020, you can always just wait until you have UK citizenship and apply for the UK passport in your married name. Your BRP will be cancelled when you get UK citizenship so you can then renew your US passport in your married name without worrying about the BRP.

2. You don't need any addressed letters for FLR, it's only for ILR. By that time you will likely need more than 6 letters as you will be showing 5 years of cohabitation not 2 years (maybe 15 letters by then) , but UKVI haven't announced the new rules requirements for ILR yet, so we don't know how many you will need. You can take the Life in the UK test now if you like, but it won't be required until you apply for ILR in 2018. The proof of address letter you take for the Life in the UK test appointment must EXACTLY MATCH the name on your BRP/ID document.

3. It makes no difference for the driving licence. If you wish you can change everything to your married name except your passport. You just need to make sure all travel is booked in the name on your passport, not your married name, and then you just show your marriage certificate with the passport if you need ID for things in your married name.

Sent from my iPod using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 01:24:01 PM »
Hello ksand, thanks for your clear and thorough answer, it sets me a little more at ease.

That's a good point about the issue dates. If we can afford it we'll apply for FLR & ILR it at a premium service centre, as I don't know if I can go for an unknown number of months without a passport.

2. Are you sure it's only ILR? The FLR(M) that I find online (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/336887/FLR_M__07-14.pdf Section 12, Documents -> Your Relationship, pg 59) seems to say that I would need them. Am I reading it wrong?
28 Nov 2018 - Applied for ILR via online SET(M), attended UKVCAS appointment in Birmingham (Super Priority)

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
That's a good point about the issue dates. If we can afford it we'll apply for FLR & ILR it at a premium service centre, as I don't know if I can go for an unknown number of months without a passport.

Yeah, I always think it's a good idea to apply in person if you can afford it. It certainly saves on the waiting time and the 'unknown' while it is being processed. Right now, FLR(M) is taking about 2-3 months by post, and ILR is taking about 5 months, so it's definitely worth paying the extra for a premium appointment.

2. Are you sure it's only ILR? The FLR(M) that I find online (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/336887/FLR_M__07-14.pdf Section 12, Documents -> Your Relationship, pg 59) seems to say that I would need them. Am I reading it wrong?

Hmm, I was about to say that yes, it's only for ILR and that only people who were applying based on being 'Unmarried Partners' (for which the requirement is 2 years of living together) need to provide the documents, but actually I think you're right - it looks like they've changed the July 2014 form to ask everyone to provide them.

Apologies for that - I hadn't noticed that they now required everyone to provide them for FLR(M), not just unmarried partners.

So, in regards to your question about the 6 documents:

It doesn't matter which name they are in - married or maiden name - as you will have proof from your passport and marriage certificate that both names are yours. What is most important is that you have documents in BOTH your name and your husband's name at the same address, in the same time period - either jointly addressed or separately addressed.

So, you ideally want to provide one document each per 4-month period, dated around the same time as each other if separately addressed (i.e. one document each from Jan, one document each from May, one document each from Sept, each year... or whichever months you are providing documents from).

The Life in the UK test is different in that you HAVE to make sure that the document you use for it matches the name on your passport/BRP exactly (right down to the middle name), or they will turn you away... so you just need to make sure you have a document you can use for that which meets the requirement.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »
Hmm, I was about to say that yes, it's only for ILR and that only people who were applying based on being 'Unmarried Partners' (for which the requirement is 2 years of living together) need to provide the documents, but actually I think you're right - it looks like they've changed the July 2014 form to ask everyone to provide them.

Apologies for that - I hadn't noticed that they now required everyone to provide them for FLR(M), not just unmarried partners.
No problem, I know things can change quickly. Thanks for the detailed info on the documents.

The Life in the UK test is different in that you HAVE to make sure that the document you use for it matches the name on your passport/BRP exactly (right down to the middle name), or they will turn you away... so you just need to make sure you have a document you can use for that which meets the requirement.
Also helpful, thanks. I'll just keep one in my maiden name that includes my middle name.

Sponsored Links