Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Traveling between Channel Islands and UK on driver's license; visa not finished  (Read 329 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi there,

Short version: Has anyone traveled within the Common Travel Area (UK, Channel Islands, etc. on a driver's license while their visa was being processed?

Long version:

I am a bit worried as I am scheduled to travel from Guernsey, Channel Islands to England on Sunday, Sept 21 and my passport/visa have not been returned to me yet.

I have been living in Guernsey for the past two years and have always sailed through immigration requirements without any problems. Immigration is Guernsey is "relaxed" shall we say as you can email or pop in and see an immigration officer with any questions you have (which is actually really nice). My FLR visa was set to expire on August 30, 2014 so I emailed an immigration officer at the beginning of the year to ask when I should apply for my ILR. His response in the email was "a month or so". So I applied for an ILR visa on August 1, 2014. I knew I would be traveling to the UK on the week of September 21, 2014 for a week for a course for teacher training and thought this was enough time for them to finish the visa (I had no doubts of being granted the visa). Getting closer to my travel date I have called a few times and have received answers ranging from "it will definitely be finished this week" to "it hasn't been assigned to an officer yet".

Guernsey Immigration has informed me that I can travel to the UK on a driver's license and I told them I was worried to be in the UK without any documentation of my nationality or right to be in the UK. They said they could give me my passport back to travel to the UK (it would not affect my application processing time). I also asked for immigration to write a letter stating that my visa is being processed to provide as evidence as well since all I will have in my passport is an expired visa.

Has anyone traveled within the Common Travel Area on a driver's license while their visa was being processed?
Aug. 2010 - Met husband to be while teaching English at the same school in South Korea
Jul. 2012 - Moved to Guernsey, Channel Islands on a fiancé visa
Aug. 2012 - Got married! FLR granted
Aug. 2014 - ILR granted
Aug. 2015 - Applying for citizenship

• Liked: 4985
I have!  Flew from London to Belfast on my drivers license.  Only certain airlines and ferrys will allow a DL instead of a passport so look at the transport providers individual policy.

Hi KFdancer,

My airline only requires a driver's license but I didn't know if I would run into immigration somewhere through the airport process. I had these nightmares of them deporting me!
Aug. 2010 - Met husband to be while teaching English at the same school in South Korea
Jul. 2012 - Moved to Guernsey, Channel Islands on a fiancé visa
Aug. 2012 - Got married! FLR granted
Aug. 2014 - ILR granted
Aug. 2015 - Applying for citizenship

• Liked: 4985
I had the same fears, but all was fine.

No ID is required for travel between London and Belfast as this is within the same country (where country does not refer to the countries that make up the UK).

Requiring ID between GB and NI would be as ridiculous as suggesting that you need ID to fly from London to Glasgow (now that Scotland has voted no).

However, airlines (and ferries and trains and even coaches) can require you to show ID for the purposes of revenue protection. Ryanair always require a passport. BA only requires ID if checking in a bag, for security purposes.

No ID is required for travel to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man either but if you are not a British or Irish citizen, those authorities suggest it is useful to carry some evidence of your immigration status.

A passport is required when travelling between the UK and Ireland if you are not British or Irish. However, you will only be checked by government officials if you enter through Dublin airport.

Sponsored Links