Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visiting My Boyfriend For 5 Months Worried About Customs. Help. 2nd Visit To UK  (Read 6149 times)

• Liked: 0

I'm 24 Female he's 32,Male (not sure if that matters)

I've visited the UK last year for only 11 days
Now that he's my boyfriend and I'm staying for 5 months I'm worried and I also won't have a job to return to.

-He bought me a round trip ticket for the 5 month stay.
-He bought me medical travel insurance for my stay. ( newcomer link: http://www.worldnomads.com/ [nonactive] )
-I have $1800.00 saved for this trip :/
-my boyfriend is mailing me his paystubs and an invitation letter that he will support me while i'm there, He also lives on his own.

I won't dare lie to customs, I'm a horrible liar anyway.

Maybe I'm looking too much into it I just really don't want to be refused entry
I'm looking forward to spending the holidays with my boyfriend and his family

I just need more advice on how you guys stayed, what they asked you, ect..

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:19:33 PM by se924201 »

Just giving you my own experience, I had much the same as you and was sent back home the following day. The no job and no rent situation of yours is probably the main thing that they will frown upon, and could really hurt your intention of staying. Looking at it from the UKBA perspective, you have no reason to return to the States. They don't care about US taxes, etc, they want real, concrete proof that you'll go back when you say. I went in at Heathrow (and with how they treated me, I'll never set foot inside that place again), and it really honestly depends on how good of a day the UKBA officer you get is having as to whether they prod for loads more answers or if they trust you and send you on your way. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with this can chime in soon.

Just an fyi, I now have my indefinite leave to remain, but it was a fight to get here on a spouse visa, and I came in under the old rules!

• Liked: 4985
Personally, I would apply for a visitors visa in advance.  I wouldn't want to sit on such a long flight wondering if I was going to be let in or not.

You really need strong ties back to the US, whether you choose to apply in advance or not.  I think it's unlikely you will be granted entry based on what you've said.  The port of entry won't make a difference.

Do be honest in whichever route you take.  Deception can result in a 10 year ban from entry to the UK.

• Liked: 4
Apply for a visa in advance.

Do you think its too late?
My flight is For October 19th
next month

Thanks

Just giving you my own experience, I had much the same as you and was sent back home the following day. The no job and no rent situation of yours is probably the main thing that they will frown upon, and could really hurt your intention of staying. Looking at it from the UKBA perspective, you have no reason to return to the States. They don't care about US taxes, etc, they want real, concrete proof that you'll go back when you say. I went in at Heathrow (and with how they treated me, I'll never set foot inside that place again), and it really honestly depends on how good of a day the UKBA officer you get is having as to whether they prod for loads more answers or if they trust you and send you on your way. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with this can chime in soon.

Just an fyi, I now have my indefinite leave to remain, but it was a fight to get here on a spouse visa, and I came in under the old rules!

Thank you so much!
aww that makes me happy :)

For August, the average processing time was only 2 days (but you need time to put together your application, do your biometrics, and mail transport time).

https://visa-processingtimes.homeoffice.gov.uk/y/new-york-united-states/visits-visas/general-visit-6-months-or-less

But you really need strong ties to the US.  A job to return to, a lease that you will continue to pay while away, etc. 

What happened?  Was all ok?  Just curious on follow ups as the questions are often asked but I never seem to find out what happened in the end??  Thanks so much : )

• Good Luck to All where your Journey takes you !!!!
  • Liked: 16
answer to having no job when you go back, I do contract work i came here in Nov-Dec 2014 and came back in Feb to April and back from June to Sept (got Married on a Marriage Visa) on the first 2 trips, being part of the british commonwealth i travelled without  a VISA and was stamped for 6 mths. I  only had to show my return ticket and told them how much money i had along with Insurance, Left when i had to, never over stayed..Everything was good, Going back sunday Sept 6 and will put my settlement visa in to comeback so yes being honest is good..
single and traveller
working on myself

• Liked: 9
I agree with applying for a visitor visa in advance. My first trip to visit my now hubby was to be for 5 months, in 2004. I called the British Consulate in Chicago on two occasions with my concerns, and was assured I wouldn't need one because I was going for under 6 months. I had a job to go back to, but silly and unaware as I was then, I didn't have that documented. A simple note from the boss on company letterhead would have saved a bit of heartache. I had proof of what I had in my bank account, and it was more than enough for my financial needs for the time. I also had a return ticket. My gut instinct to go ahead and apply for the visitor visa would have saved immense heartache. I was refused entry but she allowed me in short term, so I was there 15 days. It didn't make sense to allow me in denied, because if she truly thought I was trying to sneak in, as she said she did, I could have easily disappeared in that time. But, that wasn't my intention. Then. after hubs came 2 months later and we were married, he moved to the States. The next visit to his family, I had to get an entry clearance visa for the two weeks we were going.

That taught me the lesson it is better to be overly prepared and perhaps pay out money you wouldn't have had to, to make life easier. With the rules being tighter now, and no job to return to, making all efforts to show you intend to return is your best bet.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 1260
What happened?  Was all ok?  Just curious on follow ups as the questions are often asked but I never seem to find out what happened in the end??  Thanks so much : )

Same! What happened?! I hope everything went okay! :) Does seem like it was going to be a bit of a challenge!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

I feel your pain! I am right there with you in the same boat.... strange enough my boyfriend and I are the same difference in age I'm 23 he's 31. Make sure you do have everything though i don't recommend you saying you're visiting your boyfriend unless you have really strong ties back at home.... job and school or your family. I was refused entry back in march whilst coming back with my boyfriend together through customs, it was a NASTY experience. I pray to god you're not flying through gatwick, it's the worst airport to fly into. I suggest London Heathrow, or City. But a return ticket is key they want to make sure you're going... Im entering myself in a short few days, and I'm quite nervous. But i do suggest if you are detained, don't panic request an attorney ASAP and say nothing until you have legal representation, I didn't know i had that option at the time, tho uk boarder is horrible at telling you what your rights are. be sure to know that one love. long distance is so hard, i've been doing my relationship for almost a year and we've flown 85,000 miles for each other. If that's not love i don't know what love is. But if you were to ever get married, DO IT IN AMERICA not the UK.

best of luck with your journey!
just know someone is in the same shoes as you <3

• Liked: 3595
Visiting My Boyfriend For 5 Months Worried About Customs. Help. 2nd Visit To UK
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 12:59:55 PM »
For the record you should always be honest - if you say you are visiting a friend when you really mean boyfriend and they find this out through further questioning, this can be considered using deception and can result in a 10-year ban from entering the UK.

Always be honest about who you are visiting and your relationship to them - if you do that, but it turns out you don't have enough evidence of ties etc., the worst that can happen is that you are refused entry and will need to apply for a visa to come back... which is much less serious than a 10-year ban!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:00:56 PM by ksand24 »

For the record you should always be honest - if you say you are visiting a friend when you really mean boyfriend and they find this out through further questioning, this can be considered using deception and can result in a 10-year ban from entering the UK.

Always be honest about who you are visiting and your relationship to them - if you do that, but it turns out you don't have enough evidence of ties etc., the worst that can happen is that you are refused entry and will need to apply for a visa to come back... which is much less serious than a 10-year ban!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was refused because we entered together last time, I had a bad gut feeling and that feeling was right :/

That's bad advice

ksand doesn't give bad advice.  Entering together was absolutely fine.  When my now husband and I were dating we entered the UK together and the US together many times.  Not having ties to your home country was the issue.  Boyfriends and girlfriends are absolutely allowed and there is no reason to hide your relationship from UKVI.  It can bite you in the tail BIG TIME if you do.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab