Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Citizenship form and name change questions  (Read 2662 times)

British Citizenship form and name change questions
« on: September 28, 2014, 07:48:45 PM »
Hi everybody,

I am getting my British Citizenship this year and printed the citizenship form at this link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/318568/2902467-_Form_AN_v1_0.pdf

I meet the citizenship requirements as I have been here in the UK since 2011 married to my British husband.

I STILL have my maiden name on my passport, life in the UK test pass letter and Biometric residence card from my ILR.

-I originally took my husband surname when we got married.

-After I received my ILR, I got a legal deed poll name change document to change my surname and abandon my husbands surname (which was completely fine with him) :)

-I now have my bank account, NI number, NHS, and phone in my NEW surname from the deed poll name change

(I have left my maiden name on my passport and ILR residence card)

QUESTION:

On the citizenship form it says:
1.5 Surname/Family Name (Please note: The name you give here will be the name shown on your certificate so please ensure it is spelled correctly and you have written it in the correct order.)

--Which name do I need to use, my NEW surname from my legal name change deed poll since that is the name I want to go by on the certificate?

Then it asks you to fill in:

1.6 Other names (Please note: Your name will be shown on your certificate so please ensure it is spelt correctly and you have written it in the correct order. We would expect this to be the same as on your official documents. If this name is not
the name used on your current passport or travel document, or is spelt differently, you must explain why on page 15)

--So I just want to make sure that I put my maiden name that appears on my passport and ILR card for this one??

-What is the fee for the citizenship application?
Many thanks!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:56:43 PM by cybergen »

• Liked: 0
Re: British Citizenship form and name change questions
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 05:31:29 PM »
The following is just my opinion, not advice.

I would say that since you have not changed your surname on your passport, that is your current legal name for UKVI purposes.

You say you took your husband's surname after marriage, but you did not change it on your passport or BRP, so from their perspective you did not take his name.

1.5 I would put your current surname

1.6 is your first (given) and middle names

1.7 is the full name currently on your passport, assuming that that is your birth name

1.8 you need to insert your husband's name and explain what you have said in this thread. Although if your husband's surname never appeared on any official document, you could just leave it blank - this depends what you used on your deed poll since you will need to send it along as evidence

I am not entirely sure about the following but I have heard that the eventual name on your citizenship certificate will be 1.6 1.5 born as 1.7 or something along those lines.

• Liked: 63
Re: British Citizenship form and name change questions
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 06:37:35 PM »
And the fee is £906 plus the NCS fee if you use that for document checks (worth it, as you keep your passport and other documents). East Cheshire charged £60; I've seen some slightly less and some slightly more.

All in all, budget close to £1000 + the passport fee (which I cannot remember).
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab