Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: SET (M) application form help  (Read 599 times)

• In my nothing you meant everything to me
  • Liked: 4
SET (M) application form help
« on: October 13, 2014, 05:35:04 PM »
First of all, I've over the moon that I passed my Life in the UK test after months of studying.

Now, I'm filling out the application and finding it a bit overwhelming.

Like, when it asks what kind of marriage ceremony we had.  Ummm, what?  How do I answer that?
First, we had a court ceremony in June.  Then, in August we had a religious one with the big party afterwards.  The June date is the one on the marriage certificate, so the one we're talking about on the application.  But what specific wording do they want?
Civil ceremony?  Courthouse wedding?  I honestly do not know and feel stupid.

Also, how many wage slips do they want?  3 months?  6?  A year?

Here's a big worry.  I was assured here that it was no biggie to take my test and apply keeping my passport in my old last name.  So I've done that.
However, I am known in my married name.  All post comes in my married name.
So, my application will be for Jane Doe, but all the mail that they require to prove I live with my husband will say Mr and Mrs Smith.  Or Mrs Jane Smith.  You get the drift.
Problem?

And, does anyone fill out those big spaces for any extra information?  If so, any suggestions as what to say?  Soppy love stories welcome or "Just the facts, ma'am?"

Thanks, guys.  You are lifesavers!

• Liked: 3595
Re: SET (M) application form help
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »
Like, when it asks what kind of marriage ceremony we had.  Ummm, what?  How do I answer that?
First, we had a court ceremony in June.  Then, in August we had a religious one with the big party afterwards.  The June date is the one on the marriage certificate, so the one we're talking about on the application.  But what specific wording do they want?
Civil ceremony?  Courthouse wedding?  I honestly do not know and feel stupid.

You can only have one official, legal wedding, so as you said, you're only concerned with the court ceremony.

Just put 'registry office' or 'court ceremony'  - whatever type of wedding it was.

Also, how many wage slips do they want?  3 months?  6?  A year?

I believe the form still says 3 months, but people have been asked for 6 months before, so I would include 6 to be on the safe side.

Here's a big worry.  I was assured here that it was no biggie to take my test and apply keeping my passport in my old last name.  So I've done that.
However, I am known in my married name.  All post comes in my married name.
So, my application will be for Jane Doe, but all the mail that they require to prove I live with my husband will say Mr and Mrs Smith.  Or Mrs Jane Smith.  You get the drift.
Problem?

Nope, no problem. They will have your passport and your marriage certificate and will see that you are the same person.

And, does anyone fill out those big spaces for any extra information?  If so, any suggestions as what to say?  Soppy love stories welcome or "Just the facts, ma'am?"

No, you don't need to put anything.

If you need any extra space to answer a question, or you need to explain an answer to a question, you can write it in the Additional Information section.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 05:56:38 PM »
Thanks, ksand!  You are the best!

• Liked: 387
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 07:10:33 PM »
I know my ILR was quite some time ago (so take my anecdote with a pinch of salt), but my version of the form requested 3 months worth of financial documents.  Based on people's experiences on the forum, I brought 6 months just in case, and good thing too as they specifically asked if I had 6 months of statements/pay slips.  So my 2p, include 6 months if you can.

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »
I know my ILR was quite some time ago (so take my anecdote with a pinch of salt), but my version of the form requested 3 months worth of financial documents.  Based on people's experiences on the forum, I brought 6 months just in case, and good thing too as they specifically asked if I had 6 months of statements/pay slips.  So my 2p, include 6 months if you can.

Yeah, I think it's still the same - we've had other people applying in person who have been asked for 6 months of statements/payslips too, I would so bring/send 6 months to be sure :).

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 06:55:24 PM »
I'm all about "Better safe than sorry."

A couple more questions.

In filling out the application, should I use the surname on my passport (my old last name) or my married name?  I started filling it out in passport name, but my husband pointed out the letters they require for proof that we've lived together are in my married name.
There is a spot for previous/other surnames.

And, halfway through the application, hubby freaked out because I was putting Xs in the boxes.  "You're supposed to be ticking the boxes!"  He insisted that meant I was supposed to be putting a checkmark.  So I started checking.  Now he's freaked that I didn't stay consistent.
Seriously?  Does THAT matter?

Finally, question 2.9 asks if you and your partner could live together outside the UK if necessary. 
What the hell kind of question is THAT?
I don't even know how to answer that.  I guess if we had no choice, yeah.
But I pretty much gave away all of my belongings to move here.
My kids are settled in school here.  We both have jobs here.  (My husband's been at his here for 30+ years.)
It would be very difficult to relocate to the States.  New jobs, cars, furniture...?
Do I explain all that stuff?  Technically, yes.  We could.  But it would be extremely difficult.

Thank you very much for all of your support in this process.   :-*

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 07:06:56 PM »
I'm all about "Better safe than sorry."

A couple more questions.

In filling out the application, should I use the surname on my passport (my old last name) or my married name?  I started filling it out in passport name, but my husband pointed out the letters they require for proof that we've lived together are in my married name.
There is a spot for previous/other surnames.

The application should be in the name on your passport.

It doesn't matter if your documents are in your married name - they will know you are the same person by comparing your passport with your marriage certificate.

And, halfway through the application, hubby freaked out because I was putting Xs in the boxes.  "You're supposed to be ticking the boxes!"  He insisted that meant I was supposed to be putting a checkmark.  So I started checking.  Now he's freaked that I didn't stay consistent.

I doubt it.

Finally, question 2.9 asks if you and your partner could live together outside the UK if necessary. 
What the hell kind of question is THAT?
I don't even know how to answer that.  I guess if we had no choice, yeah.
But I pretty much gave away all of my belongings to move here.
My kids are settled in school here.  We both have jobs here.  (My husband's been at his here for 30+ years.)
It would be very difficult to relocate to the States.  New jobs, cars, furniture...?
Do I explain all that stuff?  Technically, yes.  We could.  But it would be extremely difficult.

Basically, they are trying to determine if it's legally possible for you both to live in another country together or if the UK is the only possible country in the world that you both can legally live in together.

For example, if one of you had serious criminal convictions that meant you could not enter another country or if it was too dangerous for one of you to return to your home country, then the UK would be your only option.

As you are a US citizen, and presumably your spouse has no legal reason why he can't enter the US, then your answer should be yes, you can live elsewhere.

Similarly, as your spouse is an EU citizen, there are 26 other EU countries you could live in together, apart from the UK, so again, the answer should be yes.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 10:05:23 AM »
Makes sense.

Thank you.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 11:07:16 AM »

I'd love to say that no, of course it doesn't matter, but...

Some years ago when I was living in the US, my mom and I filled in a book order form for the Folio Society. She ticked boxes and I X-ed them. The FS sent us half the books we ordered with a note saying they couldn't tell if we wanted the ones with Xes but figured we didn't, because if we had why wouldn't we have ticked the boxes like civilised people (I paraphrase, but you get the idea). People who deal with forms regularly are professionally anal, and while I don't think they would refuse your application on such ridiculous grounds, if it were me, I would redo the form with ticks only.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 08:30:11 PM »
Thanks, historyenne!  Good point!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab