Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Financial requirement evidence question  (Read 567 times)

• Liked: 56
Financial requirement evidence question
« on: October 17, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »
Hi everyone. I had a question regarding the supporting evidence for the financial requirement for the spousal visa. For the bank statements we have to provide, would it be ok if we blacked out all of part of the account numbers? These documents are taking 2 international trips in the post, and my husband is always very nervous about ID theft.
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

Re: Financial requirement evidence question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 06:46:31 PM »
And out of curiosity - does anyone know why they need 6 months of bank statements? That is SO MUCH paper. Wouldn't it just be easier to have abbreviated statements that show the direct deposit from his employment?

• Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 12:31:32 AM »
Hi everyone. I had a question regarding the supporting evidence for the financial requirement for the spousal visa. For the bank statements we have to provide, would it be ok if we blacked out all of part of the account numbers? These documents are taking 2 international trips in the post, and my husband is always very nervous about ID theft.

No, it's not ok to black out anything.   Don't deface any documents. 

• Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:38:18 AM »
And out of curiosity - does anyone know why they need 6 months of bank statements? That is SO MUCH paper. Wouldn't it just be easier to have abbreviated statements that show the direct deposit from his employment?

What Category are you applying under? Have you read FM 1.7?  Have you read FM-SE?  If you are applying under Category A then you need 6 months worth of bank statements and 6 months of pay slips to prove that you meet the financial requirement of earning £18,600/year.   they are required documents.   No pay slip can be below £1550/ month.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/337420/Annex_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/300962/Appendix_FM_SE.pdf

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 02:09:14 PM »
Thank you for the documents. But my question is - would we be able to only send the pages of each bank statement that shows the deposit of his pay? Otherwise, we will be sending an entire ream of paper just for the bank statements.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 02:22:41 PM »
Thank you for the documents. But my question is - would we be able to only send the pages of each bank statement that shows the deposit of his pay? Otherwise, we will be sending an entire ream of paper just for the bank statements.

No, you have to send the whole statement. I've never heard of anyone here not including every page of each statement, and personally I wouldn't risk it because if the documents sent don't meet the requirements exactly, the visa can be refused.

The guidance linked above states:

1. In relation to evidencing the financial requirements in Appendix FM the following general provisions shall apply:

(a) Bank statements must:
  (i) be from a financial institution regulated by the appropriate regulatory body for the country in which that institution is operating.
  (ii) not be from a financial institution on the list of excluded institutions in Appendix P of these rules.
  (iii) in relation to personal bank statements be only in the name of:
       (1) the applicant's partner, the applicant or both as appropriate; or
       (2) if the applicant is a child the applicant parent's partner, the applicant's parent or both as appropriate; or
       (3) if the applicant is an adult dependent relative, the applicant's sponsor or the applicant, unless otherwise stated.

(iv) cover the period(s) specified.
  (v) be:
        (1) on official bank stationery; or
        (2) electronic bank statements which are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page.

And the Guide to Supporting Documents states:
Bank statements or bank books

Showing what has been paid in and out of an account for at least the previous six months, and naming the account holder. If you have made deposits in your account that are not in keeping with the account history then you may wish to explain the origins and timing of these deposits.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »
Definitely send exactly that they are asking for. It seems crazy to send so much paper I know - but if they want a specific thing (bank statements) or otherwise, you will want to give them that exactly. And definitely don't black out any information on anything.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 03:26:55 PM »
You also need to include photocopies of every original document you include if you want the originals returned to you - so all his original bank statements will need to be copied as well.

Remember that you can always send your application and documents to your husband in the UK so he can add all his documents and then forward it on to Sheffield for you.

That way, the bank statements would only make one international trip - back to you in the US after the visa has been issued, and not two. It would also save on the expensive shipping for him to send everything to you by courier, only for you to mail them back to the UK (you're looking at around $150 for each trip of the application and documents across the Atlantic with DHL or UPS).

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 03:51:05 PM »
Just an FYI (only from my personal case) I did not include copies of the original bank statements, but they did still come back to me. I had made copies of them for my own records, but none were sent out with my application - only the originals.

Again, might not be the same situation for everyone, but I just got them all back today (the originals). I wanted to share in case this information would help anyone that may have been worried if they didn't include the copies.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 05:23:07 PM »
I also did not provide copies of the bank statements (figuring we can have them re-printed if necessary) and only kept copies for myself.  Every page of DH's bank statements were returned to me.  I don't know if they made their own copies in Sheffield or simply wanted to verify that his pay way being deposited.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »
Fair enough - we have had some people who have had no original documents returned and others that have had all of them returned, so it seems to be a bit hit and miss.

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 08:29:21 PM »
For sure! If you want them back I would definitely include a copy of them. Also, be sure to make a copy of everything you are sending in case something get's lost. I actually had a friend that this happened to and she didn't make a copy of ANYTHING!! Better safe then sorry with these things. Good luck!

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 11:11:15 PM »
Thanks so much for all the advice! I'm concerned about sending everything to my husband to have him send it though. Don't I only have 2 weeks to send everything over once I get the biometrics done (including the biometrics)? By the time that they got to him, how would that be enough time to get them to Sheffield????

• Liked: 134
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 11:39:41 PM »
If you send it priority through DHL or UPS then it should only take a day or two to arrive in the UK.  You can send it to your husband through a courier (include a return label/courier number in the package), he can add his materials, and then he can send it on to Sheffield.  The entire package will then be returned to you in the US.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 11:43:32 PM »
The same way you would get it directly to Sheffield within the same time frame without sending it to him first:

You overnight it to him in the UK using either DHL or UPS, including the return international waybill information.

He gets it the next day, adds his documents and then mails it on to Sheffield to arrive the day after.... If he's organised, you could get it to Sheffield from the US in as little as 48-72 hours.

If you actually want your documents to make it to Sheffield, you should not be using any other mailing service than DHL or UPS, preferably next day (I would expect to pay about $100-200 each way for postage). Don't use FedEx because UKVI will no longer return visas through FedEx.

USPS is unreliable and your documents could take weeks to arrive (or may never arrive) as they may get stuck in customs. I would only ever use a tracked l, fast courier service to mail important documents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab