Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: No stamp upon re-entry?  (Read 862 times)

• Liked: 0
No stamp upon re-entry?
« on: November 17, 2014, 02:31:13 AM »
I stayed in the UK (from US) last Feb-Aug (6 months exactly). I had planned on going back for a trip in December, however I have thrown that idea out upon further research of the 6 months stay maximum within 12 months.
I was looking through my passport and don't have a stamp from when I re-entered the US in August. Were I to fly to England in December, would the CO know my comings and goings from scanning my passport or how would they really "know" how long I stayed, since it's not stamped on my passport?
Were I to apply and be denied for a General Visitor visa, would this cause problems visiting the UK at a later time, when my 12 month period has "reset" (after Feb 2015)?
I'm aware this may be a silly question, I haven't been able to find the answer elsewhere.

Any info would be great!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:38:49 AM by jayd0406 »

• Liked: 4
Re: No stamp upon re-entry?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 04:02:09 AM »
Your immigration history comes up on the computer when they scan the passport. The lack of stamp doesn't make a difference.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 08:19:19 AM »
I was looking through my passport and don't have a stamp from when I re-entered the US in August.

It's actually pretty unusual to be stamped back into your home country. Normally you would only be stamped when you enter a foreign country, but the US is a bit different in that they seem to stamp their own citizens back in.

I'm British and I've left and returned to the UK many times, but I have never received a stamp from UK immigration.

Either way though, it makes no difference whether you have a stamp or not because your immigration history is stored electronically in the system, so all they have to do is scan your passport and they can see everywhere you have travelled, including trips on a previous, expired passport.

Were I to apply and be denied for a General Visitor visa, would this cause problems visiting the UK at a later time, when my 12 month period has "reset" (after Feb 2015)?

Yes, if you were to apply for a visitor visa and be refused, then you should apply for a visitor visa every single time you visit the UK from then on.

Once you have a visa refusal, you will be under more scrutiny from UK immigration and are more at risk of being refused entry if you just turn up at the border... so UKVI advise that you apply for a visitor visa in advance of travel each time.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »
You could maybe have a trip to Dublin first, then you'll get a 3 month Irish stamp, then you can come and go to UK, without encountering immigration.

Obviously make sure you're open/honest with the Irish Immigration officer still though.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 03:39:12 PM »
Even if the ECO can't tell exactly when you returned to the USA just by looking at the stamps in your passport, it looks a bit shady to try to return so soon after an extended trip.  A black mark on your immigration history (further compounded should you close not to disclose the date upon which you actually left the UK in August) will complicate any visits in the future.  It's best to just wait until February now.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »
You could maybe have a trip to Dublin first, then you'll get a 3 month Irish stamp, then you can come and go to UK, without encountering immigration.

Obviously make sure you're open/honest with the Irish Immigration officer still though.

Would this still be UKBA and re-entering the UK for more than 6 months of 12? I didn't even consider this! :)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 04:30:03 PM »
Entering through Dublin is really not recommended if you plan on applying for a visa to the UK later.  You are in essence deliberately avoiding immigration control in order to circumvent the rules.

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »
Entering through Dublin is really not recommended if you plan on applying for a visa to the UK later.  You are in essence deliberately avoiding immigration control in order to circumvent the rules.

Ok that's what I was thinking probably. Would they still think next February was "too soon" or suspicious looking? Just miss my boyfriend!

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »
Ok that's what I was thinking probably. Would they still think next February was "too soon" or suspicious looking? Just miss my boyfriend!

It's entirely up to the immigration officer if they think it's too soon or not. A genuine visitor should not spend more than 6 months in the UK in a rolling 12-month period, but it's up to them as to whether they believe you are a genuine visitor or not.

If you were in the UK for 6 months from February 2014 to August 2014, you shouldn't try to enter the UK again until February 2015, so that you will have only spent 6 months in the last 12 months in the UK.

A general rule of thumb would be to spend as much time out of the UK as you did in the UK - so if you were here for 6 months, you should wait another 6 months before coming back. Or, if you were here for 3 months, then wait at least 3 months before coming back.

So, you ought to be fine to come back in February, but I wouldn't try to return before February.

When you come back though, I would make sure you have as much evidence of ties to the US as possible, to show that you will definitely leave the UK at the end of the trip - ties such as a return ticket, a job and a home to return to, and enough money to support yourself for your entire trip without working.

I wouldn't recommend travelling through Ireland as it can look like you are trying to find a work-around to the UK immigration rules. If you are considering trying to move to the UK in the future, I would play by the rules and do everything by the book - you don't want your desire to visit your boyfriend now cause any future visa applications to be jeopardised.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »

It's never a good idea to deliberately avoid immigration control, but if someone just happened to enter the UK via Ireland, they'd be breaking no rules at all, in fact, there's no actual 6 month in 12 month rule anyway, it's a guideline.  He wouldn't encounter UKBA at any point.

I can't see how they'd refuse any future visas because of it but I personally wouldn't take the risk, however minuscule though.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 04:19:24 PM »
It's never a good idea to deliberately avoid immigration control, but if someone just happened to enter the UK via Ireland, they'd be breaking no rules at all, in fact, there's no actual 6 month in 12 month rule anyway, it's a guideline.  He wouldn't encounter UKBA at any point.

I can't see how they'd refuse any future visas because of it but I personally wouldn't take the risk, however minuscule though.

Yea, definitely DON'T do this. My husband and I had no idea that my passport would not be stamped whenever I entered the UK through Ireland to be with him for 6 months. It was just the least expensive option, and since we were going to be living with his family we thought it would be nice to have a vacation alone together in Ireland before that. We walked into Manchester airport right past passports and I started having a panic attack because I was afraid what it would mean. We tracked down some border control agents and asked them what to do. It was late and they said if they took us to passports, we'd be stuck there for at least an hour being asked questions just to get a stamp. They suggested just leaving the UK and coming back in to get the stamp. (I think they just didn't want to deal with taking us to passports/immigration because when I tried to do what they said, we had a little trouble explaining it to the lady in passports and she said that those agents shouldn't have done that. Luckily, she was very nice and we had all my travel documents and itineraries, and my husband was waiting on the other side for me, so she stamped me in.) Unfortunately, we could not take a trip till 6 weeks after I was in the UK because of my husband's job. I am applying now for a marriage visa, and am a bit concerned about this situation. I have described it in detail in the explanation section though (including how we even emailed the Irish Consulates asking if there would be problems with my return trip date being 6 months after arrival when Irish visitor visa was 3 months because I was only going to be in Ireland for a few days before going to the UK - the response I got said NOTHING about the common flight area and no passport stamp). So fingers crossed that it won't be a problem.
Bottom line.....play by the rules. Don't try to get around anything. I know its hard to be so far away from them, but its worse to worry because they keep trying to make it harder and harder to get visas. :-(
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

• Liked: 134
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 10:44:42 AM »
When you come back though, I would make sure you have as much evidence of ties to the US as possible, to show that you will definitely leave the UK at the end of the trip - ties such as a return ticket, a job and a home to return to, and enough money to support yourself for your entire trip without working.

It is also a good idea to be very familiar with the visa rules regarding fiance visas.  If you convey to them that you understand the rules then they may be more willing to grant you a visitor's visa in the interim.  Obviously I can't guarantee that you will be allowed in (though my fingers are crossed for you) but you stand a much better chance if you are educated.  Be able to explain why you are applying for the fiance visa when you are and good luck!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 03:02:13 PM »
Yea, definitely DON'T do this. My husband and I had no idea that my passport would not be stamped whenever I entered the UK through Ireland to be with him for 6 months. It was just the least expensive option, and since we were going to be living with his family we thought it would be nice to have a vacation alone together in Ireland before that. We walked into Manchester airport right past passports and I started having a panic attack because I was afraid what it would mean. We tracked down some border control agents and asked them what to do. It was late and they said if they took us to passports, we'd be stuck there for at least an hour being asked questions just to get a stamp. They suggested just leaving the UK and coming back in to get the stamp. (I think they just didn't want to deal with taking us to passports/immigration because when I tried to do what they said, we had a little trouble explaining it to the lady in passports and she said that those agents shouldn't have done that. Luckily, she was very nice and we had all my travel documents and itineraries, and my husband was waiting on the other side for me, so she stamped me in.) Unfortunately, we could not take a trip till 6 weeks after I was in the UK because of my husband's job. I am applying now for a marriage visa, and am a bit concerned about this situation. I have described it in detail in the explanation section though (including how we even emailed the Irish Consulates asking if there would be problems with my return trip date being 6 months after arrival when Irish visitor visa was 3 months because I was only going to be in Ireland for a few days before going to the UK - the response I got said NOTHING about the common flight area and no passport stamp). So fingers crossed that it won't be a problem.
Bottom line.....play by the rules. Don't try to get around anything. I know its hard to be so far away from them, but its worse to worry because they keep trying to make it harder and harder to get visas. :-(

As far as I know, they're not allowed to give you a stamp in your passport when you enter the UK from Ireland as you have not left the common travel area, I think you do encounter immigration on the way to Ireland from the UK though strangely, no idea why.

As for your situation, I don't see what you've done wrong at all, it's not illegal to enter the UK via Ireland, as long as you leave before your three month Irish stamp is up.  It sounds as though you left 6 weeks later so you'll have done nothing wrong at all?

The potential grey area would be if you were seen to be using the Ireland route as a way of avoiding UK immigration, obviously you don't want to be seen as misleading UK immigration or you could get a 10 year ban.  Ways where this would be fairly obvious would be if you were denied a UK visitor visa but then came via Ireland and spent time in the UK. 

I'd seriously doubt they'd refuse someone a future spousal visa because they once entered the UK via Ireland after being in the UK for the full six month period several months earlier as no actual rules would be broken thus I doubt people would be expected to be aware that the border officers expect people to spend less time in the UK than out of the UK.  I wouldn't want to be the one testing the theory though of course!!

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 03:12:28 PM »
As far as I know, they're not allowed to give you a stamp in your passport when you enter the UK from Ireland as you have not left the common travel area,

Yes, this is true - it's actually illegal for them to stamp your passport in the UK if you have arrived from Ireland... so even if you had waited, they still shouldn't have stamped it anyway.

As for your situation, I don't see what you've done wrong at all, it's not illegal to enter the UK via Ireland, as long as you leave before your three month Irish stamp is up.  It sounds as though you left 6 weeks later so you'll have done nothing wrong at all?

I agree - there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you did at all and it should not affect anything at all in the future.

The only times when it is not advisable to enter via Ireland are:

- if you are arriving on a long-term visa, such as a fiance, spousal or work visa, for which you will need to prove what date you entered the UK later on (i.e. when applying for ILR or citizenship)... because you really need that stamp with the date on.

- if you know you should not be entering the UK because you have spent too long in the UK already or you have a bad immigration history, and you enter through Ireland in a deliberate attempt to deceive UK immigration.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab