Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: new laws 2005?  (Read 1468 times)

• Liked: 0
new laws 2005?
« on: November 05, 2004, 02:49:46 PM »
I guess this is a question mainly for Gary since he knows all about this stuff.  I know you mentioned it briefly a couple days ago, but are there any new laws begining in 2005?  Does it work like that?  My girlfriend and I are planning to get an Unmarried Partner's visa around the 4th of January 2005.  Do you know if anything changes in 2005 or do changes in the law not necessarily work on a calander year basis?  Know what i mean?  Anything coming up I should keep my eye on?

Re: new laws 2005?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 06:23:57 PM »
Exit controls reintroduced in Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Dover, possibly Manchester?.  Forward entry controls on the continent.  The new list of au pair countries.  Starting the roll-out of the new VAF forms.  Flatting of the tribunal structure.  Some internal rules to try and sort out the chronic and now rampant corruption in Moscow, Saint Petersburg.  Lots of stuff about asylum.  And another refurbishment of the rules re the Euro enlargement.  That's what I know about happening between now and January 2005.  None of it really affects you.

In April 2005, there's another amendment series to the WP rules; changes to the LTC; also fixing a loophole in the PS visa (oops!); more stuff on the new biometrics; a tightening of the rules for the accreditation of "English schools" (it's about time); and the first part of TOC comes in to force; possibly a restatement to the naturalisation rules for illegitimates.  Still doesn't affect you.

Presumably, the new tactic of having plainclothes IND officers riding the tube and listening for non-British accents will be introduced in other UK cities, but that's just a guess.

Does anybody here know of anything else in the pipeline?

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 06:43:26 PM »
Presumably, the new tactic of having plainclothes IND officers riding the tube and listening for non-British accents will be introduced in other UK cities, but that's just a guess.

Then what?  If they hear a non-British accent are they going to stop the person right then and there and ask for identification and if they have permission to be there???
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 06:57:59 PM »
Then what?  If they hear a non-British accent are they going to stop the person right then and there and ask for identification and if they have permission to be there???

Yes.  They are already doing that since last summer.  My guess is that it will expand next year.

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 09:14:50 PM »
You gotta be JOKING!  Garry you can't be serious about this plain clothes thing.  I mean, as far as I know, ID cards have yet to be legalised in the UK.  Why in the world would I bring along my passport with my ILR stamp in it to work with me every  morning???  This is insane if it's true.  Is there any links with this discussed on it?  Before I get all riled up, I'd like to just make sure it's already happening. And if it is...... :o

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 09:45:09 PM »
If you don't have your dox at hand (which apparently nobody does), AND they think something's fishy, they give you some time to show up with them.  It's nothing to get riled about, I don't think it's a big deal unless it goes ott.  There's been discussions about it on the ArmenianUK board - who has already written a protest; and the RussianLondon board. 

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 09:57:49 PM »
Garry forgot to mention the unofficial clause. If you've a non-English accent and aren't white.
Palefaces won't be hassled: this is England, after all.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 10:30:19 PM »
This was the crux of the protest, lightbulb.  If the practice is abused, it can be based upon conspicuousness rather than the balance of probability.  But if not abused, then it's no more invasive than those silly fare checks they do at Oxford Circus to be sure everyone has a ticket. 

• Hi there.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 09:11:54 AM »
Garry,

Not the same as a ticket check. Everyone has to have a ticket to ride the tube. But everyone doesn't have to speak estuary English to be fully legal in this country. I myself have been a British citizen for several years now. It seems a bit strange to make distinctions between classes of citizens or make inferences about people based on accents.

Strange also because most or at least many Aussies and NZs here in this country either hold British or Irish passports already (because of a parent or something) or are here on a patriality visa, working holidaymaker or similar. Most Americans here are either married to British citizens, or are full-fledged work permit holders, as I once was.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 09:29:25 AM by misch »

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 12:17:56 PM »
I love that my original question turned into all of us worrying about getting picked up by the "English Accent Police!"

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 12:24:35 PM »
I love that my original question turned into all of us worrying about getting picked up by the "English Accent Police!"

Troublemaker ;)
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

• Hi there.
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2004, 01:09:02 PM »
Sorry, Scott, it's a long story, in my case I am tired of people reacting to the American accent, it's a pet peeve... :P

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 06:07:21 PM »
Well, all us Yanks can hope for quickly softening accents.  All it took for me was 6 months and my American accent was starting to go bye-bye....  Either that, or just keep your mouth shut on the tube, LMAO!
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2004, 02:57:50 AM »
Sorry, Scott, it's a long story, in my case I am tired of people reacting to the American accent, it's a pet peeve... :P

misch:  patience is key!  Our accent is immediately recognizable; and it's something just to live with.  *BUT* after a while, like when the jump-up little twit at the B&Q asked me this week, "Did you vote for Bush?", you can say, "Sorry?  I'm British.".

It's a joyous and wonderful put-down.  Leaves them stumped with no come-back every time.  Patience is key...

• Hi there.
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2004, 10:47:54 AM »
After 10 years here, I've got one of those accents where some people say "it's a very 'soft' American accent" - and when I'm in the States people think I'm English but that I've lived in the States for a while. So - citizen of two countries, but where do I really belong...

Anyway, if the language police catch up with me, I will remember your come-back! ;)

Sponsored Links