Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Female Newsreaders & Reporters - Differences between UK & USA!!  (Read 2773 times)

• Liked: 0
Female Newsreaders & Reporters - Differences between UK & USA!!
« on: December 01, 2014, 11:29:53 AM »
Hi guys!! I was just wondering if any of you Americans, and even British for that matter, noticed a marked difference in presentation and appearance between female newsreaders and reporters/journalists in the UK and the USA??

Over here they all seem to look as if they get their clothes from charity shops even despite the fact they all probably live in London with the world of fashion and high-end department stores at their fingertips, as well as having unkempt and untidy hair!! Over in the USA, main network(ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CNN) female newsreaders and reporters and journos dress immaculately, and that even applies to localized affiliates as well!! I live near Bournemouth and we get BBC South Today(based in Southampton) and the main female newsreader, Sally Taylor, dresses like she has just come out of a thrift store!!! Yet, whenever I am in the USA, I watch local news from Minneapolis/St. Paul and their female newsreaders are immaculate!!

There certainly is a huge difference in presentation and professional attire between the 2 countries!!

I believe that they are doing a serious and professional job, so they should dress and present themselves seriously and professionally, so they will be taken seriously and professionally!! Plus the fact that they are in front of TV cameras being viewed by the public!!

British female newsreaders need to up the ante regarding their appearence!!

• Liked: 4
Re: Female Newsreaders & Reporters - Differences between UK & USA!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 11:38:06 AM »
I have yet to see a post from you that does not slag off the UK in some way.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 12:04:56 PM »
Didn't that Australian guy wear the same suit for a year? Nobody noticed.....

Karl Stefanovic....funny guy....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 06:25:01 PM »
Uhm, there is a difference between dressing in a conservative professional manner and "dressing from a charity shop." The newscasters here treat their jobs as if they are doing serious journalism. Newscasters in the US, other then a few, dress office trendy.

And I don't know what you're talking about. The newscasters in my town in Colorado dressed horribly! They attempted to wear trendy clothes which generally made them look frumpy and their hair was often badly dyed, there makeup was not the best colors for their skin tones and they didn't seem to EVER watch what they looked like on tv. Not to mention they were terrible at their jobs. I'm a Mass Communications major, and boy did they stink.

The newscasters here dress conservatively, meaning they dress as if they're politicians or politicians wives. They are generally put together, but they are definitely not trendy. Conservative style is not up with current fashion at all.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 06:34:01 PM »
Newscasters on BBC Look East and newscasters in Cleveland seem to dress pretty similarly, in my opinion.  The women usually wear tailored suits or dresses.  The men wear suits.  The BBC national presenters dress nicer but I would expect them to as they are doing (inter)national news.  To be honest, unless they're wearing an outfit that I particularly like, I don't really pay attention.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

Sponsored Links