Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need HELP  DESPERATLY !!!!!!!any ideas???  (Read 1584 times)

• Scared and Confused
  • Liked: 0
Need HELP  DESPERATLY !!!!!!!any ideas???
« on: May 14, 2003, 12:28:13 PM »
I am an american citizen who came to the uk on a visitors passport
to visit my boyfriend. We are now engaged and planning on getting
maried as soon as possible. The problem is he is waiting for his
divorce papers to be finalized and i am worried my visitors visa
will expire before then. Does anyone know of a way to get a bit of
extra time other than returning to the states which is not a
finacial option at this point. I had tickets to return but once we
got engaged I decided to stay thinking we would be married before my
visitor pasport expired. We have heard going to france for a bit is
an option, is this true??? Please Please Help. Or is there a way i
can aply for a fiance visa from here and extend my time till we can
get married??? HELP PLEASE!!!!!
[smiley=help.gif]

Re: Need HELP  DESPERATLY !!!!!!!any ideas???
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 02:02:53 PM »
I'm in no way an expert on this subject but I can tell you that your fiancee's divorce decree is a MAJOR piece of paper needed in any visa application process. While both countries do allow marraiges while on a visitor visa theres a whole lot of variables that go into determining whether or not someone entered the country on such a visa with the express intent to circumvent the visa process. An immigration attorney may be your best bet to pose this question to .......Good luck.

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 02:31:17 PM »
The only way to extend your time here on a vistor visa is to get married, study or to be sponsered by a company for work.
As for the France thing, well that could be an option but I would be very careful the emigration people are far from stupid!! they know all the tricks and if you get refused to come back in the country it may well cause a problem with your spouse visa...If it were me I would go back to the US for a short while (if you can) However iam no expert thats just my advise having dealt with my wifes visa issues over the past year (useing her log on here ::))

Hope everything works out ok ;)
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 08:30:49 PM »
..... As for the France thing, well that could be an option but I would be very careful the emigration people are far from stupid!! ....

Yes, if they check your records they'll see that you have recently over-stayed your visa/ visa status in the UK and they'll be quite within their rights to deny you entry/ deport you.  To say that isn't going to look good on your permanent visa application is something of an understatement!  ::)
Richard

• Scared and Confused
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 09:08:18 PM »
thanx to everyone for the advice but maybe i didnt make it clear that my visa doesnt run out for another month and 3 weeks. I also would be traveling with another american woman (who is also on a visitors passport) if we decide to go to france. With time still on my passport would it be a problem???? Thanx for all the advice all of you are great :) [smiley=!blank.gif]

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 10:20:29 PM »
This too can get tricky and put you right on immigrations radar screen depending on what officer you pass through upon re-entry into the U.K. While your visitors visa ALLOWS you to stay in the U.K for up to 6 months it doesnt guarantee it when you leave the country and then try to re-enter to use up the balance of that 6 months. You're really putting yourself at the mercy of British Immigration by doing if they see multiple entries within that 6 month period on the same visa and if I,m not mistaken I believe that visa is good for only a single entry, not multiple. Multiple Entry visas are an entity all to themselves and I believe are only issued to full time students and people conducting business requiring it, not to tourists. Having said this , you certainly can return to the States for a month and then re-enter using a new tourist visa because I've done that many times myself and thats not an uncommon thing but I,ve also been stopped and asked some questions pertaining to where I was going, staying, how much money I had, etc....and my wife and daughter are both British citizens who own property there so the one thing I've learned in thirty years of going back and forth is that trying to stay under the Immigrations radar screen is the safest bet.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 03:30:41 PM »
The problem is he is waiting for his
divorce papers to be finalized and i am worried my visitors visa
will expire before then.

I think everyone here has given you fairly sound advice but speaking as a matrimonial legal secretary the question in my own mind is where is your boyfriend's divorce at in the process?  Has a Decree Nisi been pronounced and if so when?  And who petitioned?  Are there financial and property matters ancillary to the divorce that need to be worked out.  ALL of these things are factors in how soon the divorce is finalised.  A divorce can take up to 6 months for a Decree Absolute to come through.  I've seen it go a couple years.

Not to cause alarm here, but I, myself, couldn't really answer your question until I knew what the status of the divorce is.  Certainly you can try to go to France and come back but then you run a huge risk of being turned away.  

You may have nothing to worry about, you may have plenty to worry about.  Just my thoughts for now.

I hope it works out for you. :)

Sponsored Links