Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: applying for spousal visa  (Read 1181 times)

• Liked: 0
applying for spousal visa
« on: December 16, 2014, 12:04:05 AM »
Hello guys. This will sound like a stupid question, but me and my husband is struggling to figure out what is the correct visa type we're supposed to apply for.

I'm currently in UK with my husband on a marriage visitor visa. We got married on Oct 2014. I'm due to fly back to US at the end of the year. We didnt planned to settle in UK but circumstances changed that we decided to settle here instead. I was hoping to jump start my planned move here by starting our application form. But I hit a stumbling block on the very basic questionnaire.

On the UK Visa and Immigration page:

Select Visa Type
Reason for Visit: Settlement
visa Type: Settlement
Visa Sub Type: Marriage

I assume that's the one I'm supposed to select. But when I'm filling up the form with all the basic information I got stuck at the "Sponsor Details" section. I assume that would be my spouse but when it asked for my relationship with my sponsor, there's no husband, spouse, or partner option.

So I'm not sure if I'm actually filling the right form now or not. Or perhaps it's a computer glitch.

Please enlighten me. My brains are fried looking up how to apply for spouse visa.

Thanks in advance :)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:05:40 AM by JaySoCal »
Applied Marriage Visitor Visa - May 26, 2014
Biometrix - June 02, 2014
Visa Granted - June 23, 2014
Arrived in UK - August 02, 2014
Married - October 10, 2014
Left UK - December 27, 2014
-----after much consideration, we decided that its best to settle in the UK for the mean time----
Applied Civil Partnership Visa - January 29, 2015
Biometrix - February 03, 2015
Packet Received by Sheffield - February 06, 2015
Assigned to an ECO - February 12, 2015
Decision made. Visa was shipped back - March 06, 2015
Packet Received - March 09, 201

• Liked: 3595
Re: applying for spousal visa
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 12:12:34 AM »
You need to select Wife, not Marriage for the visa type... Marriage is a fiancé visa and you're already married.

The sponsor part is an error with the form though and is the same on the spouse visa form. Your sponsor is your husband, but for some silly reason that's not an option on the form! Just tick 'other' if you can and then correct it by hand on the printed copy later when you have applied.

You also need to print and complete VAF4a Appendix 2 from the UKVI website which is the rest of the application form.

Sent from my iPod using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:19:15 AM »
Omg thank you. Oh btw, I'm in a same sex marriage. I had 2 active application so I also tried using the Husband form and got stuck on the sponsor details. Good to know I'm not supposed to use the "Marriage" form. I thought I was going crazy.

Thanks a lot. :)
-----after much consideration, we decided that its best to settle in the UK for the mean time----

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 12:23:24 AM »
Sorry, didn't realise you were in a same-sex marriage. In that case, it's not Husband you want because that's the spousal visa for mixed-sex couples, instead you want Civil Partner for your visa type.

Sent from my iPod using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 01:23:44 AM »
You also need to print and complete VAF4a Appendix 2 from the UKVI website which is the rest of the application form.

Okay I'm flipping out now!! :( Because I thought I followed the UKBA website/online application to a tee!! In NO WHERE during the process and after printing my "online" application was there a message or even a hint about this document that needs to be filled out by hand and included in with the... again... "ONLINE" application.  I even copied and pasted warnings/messages from the website while paying for the application, and just reviewed them, again nothing... :(

If this is true, ksand24 or anybody that didn't include this, I would really appreciate any advice... especially on what I can/should do next...

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 02:52:20 AM »
Btw... I'm flipping out because I already sent my application/package to Sheffield :(

And I think I just found out what happened... quite the rabbit hole!

The sponsor part is an error with the form though and is the same on the spouse visa form. Your sponsor is your husband, but for some silly reason that's not an option on the form! Just tick 'other' if you can and then correct it by hand on the printed copy later when you have applied.

When filling out the online application form, one of the questions had a drop down box that lists the possible relationships types you can have with your sponsor, well in my case it should be wife, but I didn't see "wife" NOR "husband" NOR "spouse", it only had things like uncle, etc... and found that to be strange, so the ONLY viable option was to select "Other".

And luckily I even copied and pasted the website messages during this process and here's what mine said:

"After you have completed the online form, you must complete the relevant appendix, which can be found at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/12-other-visas. Sponsorship Undertaking Form (SU07). If you are applying for settlement as the parent, grandparent or other dependant relative of someone in the UK, your sponsor needs to complete and sign the Sponsorship Undertaking Form (SU07), which can be found at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/sponsorship-form.pdf. By signing this form, your sponsor confirms that they will be responsible for your maintenance and accommodation in the UK. You should include this completed form when you make your settlement application."

The part in bold red is what is making me sick to my stomach... so now I realize that is generated based off a question that I answered like an hour earlier in the application process, and I remember checking into that SU07 Sponsorship Undertaking Form which doesn't actually apply to my application... (WELL I would hope so, unless another rabbit hole!) anyway so I just figured this text/section was extra "fluff" boy I can't make myself cry so I'll have to laugh instead!

Since I work in this profession, and when I finally/hopefully get my visa, the first job I'll try to apply for in the UK is the web developer position that is responsible for this hiccup!  I'm guessing that drop-down list needs an spousal entry which is obviously later on used in the web application process to determine the above text...

Now I have to figure out, should I wait to hear from them first, or maybe send in the missing appendix 2 form filled out.

I'm hoping I can just email it to them instead.

Again any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance, and hopefully this might help others out... but unfortunately I found this website AFTER I sent everything... (kicking myself...)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:54:24 AM by ukbound78 »

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 06:05:58 AM »
Now I have to figure out, should I wait to hear from them first, or maybe send in the missing appendix 2 form filled out.

I'm hoping I can just email it to them instead.

I'll address the last part of your post first:

Wait to hear from them... you are not alllowed to add anything extra to your application once it has been mailed UNLESS they contact you to ask for it.

They cannot process the visa without Appendix 2, because it is half of the actual application form, but from people's experiences here, they should contact you to ask for it (they have done this for other people in this situation) and I believe you should be able to email it to them rather than mail it, but you will have to see what they say.

I wouldn't send anything unless they contact you first though, as there's no guarantee it will get linked with your application unless they know it's being sent.

And luckily I even copied and pasted the website messages during this process and here's what mine said:
"After you have completed the online form, you must complete the relevant appendix, which can be found at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/12-other-visas.
Okay, so strike one for the online application, because this link doesn't even take you to where the appendix is! It links to a form for a completely different type of visa altogether  :-\\\\.

Also, you ideally want to have filled out Appendix 2 BEFORE you apply online anyway (providing you know about it, of course) as it can help you determine if you meet the requirements and have all the documents ready before submitting the application.

Appendix 2 can be found here (second link down) and is the most important part of the application form... the online form is just a few generic questions about you and is pretty much the same for all visas, while Appendix 2 contains all the specific questions about how you meet the requirements for the spousal visa.

Appendix 2 covers the 3 main requirements for the visa:
- your relationship history
- which financial requirement category you are applying under
- your accommodation in the UK

However, the UKVI website doesn't make it clear that everyone has to print and fill it out though - it implies that only people in North Korea have to do it and that everyone else will fill it out online... which isn't true, because there is no version of it online yet... so I always try to mention it when people ask here about how to apply.

From the UKVI website:

Apply outside the UK

You must apply online for this visa.

You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.

You may be able to get your visa faster or other services depending on what country you’re in - check with your visa application centre.

North Korea

You can’t apply online if you’re from North Korea.

To apply from North Korea you must download and fill in form VAF4A and appendix 2.

You might also need:

-    form SU07 - you’re coming to be looked after by family (adult dependent relative)
-    appendix 1 - you’re coming to the UK as an adult dependent relative, or as the child of settled parents or with one parent who got a visa under the rules in force before 9 July 2012
-    appendix 5 - you’re coming to look after your child

You should also read:

-    the instructions for North Korea on how to apply
-    the guidance for help with your forms

The part in bold red is what is making me sick to my stomach... so now I realize that is generated based off a question that I answered like an hour earlier in the application process, and I remember checking into that SU07 Sponsorship Undertaking Form which doesn't actually apply to my application... (WELL I would hope so, unless another rabbit hole!) anyway so I just figured this text/section was extra "fluff" boy I can't make myself cry so I'll have to laugh instead!

You are correct that the SU07 form does not apply to you - it's only for people applying for adult dependant or elderly dependant relative visas for which the applicant must be completely dependant on the sponsor - i.e. they can't work, they need help to wash, dress, eat etc. ad they have no living relative in the US to take care of them.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 08:46:43 AM »
Hello guys. This will sound like a stupid question, but me and my husband is struggling to figure out what is the correct visa type we're supposed to apply for.

I'm currently in UK with my husband on a marriage visitor visa. We got married on Oct 2014. I'm due to fly back to US at the end of the year. We didnt planned to settle in UK but circumstances changed that we decided to settle here instead. I was hoping to jump start my planned move here by starting our application form. But I hit a stumbling block on the very basic questionnaire.

On the UK Visa and Immigration page:

Select Visa Type
Reason for Visit: Settlement
visa Type: Settlement
Visa Sub Type: Marriage

I assume that's the one I'm supposed to select. But when I'm filling up the form with all the basic information I got stuck at the "Sponsor Details" section. I assume that would be my spouse but when it asked for my relationship with my sponsor, there's no husband, spouse, or partner option.

So I'm not sure if I'm actually filling the right form now or not. Or perhaps it's a computer glitch.

Please enlighten me. My brains are fried looking up how to apply for spouse visa.

Thanks in advance :)

You will need to return to the U.S. to apply (just in case you were hoping to apply from the UK).  I think you know this but just want to make sure.  Congrats on the marriage!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »
Okay, so strike one for the online application, because this link doesn't even take you to where the appendix is! It links to a form for a completely different type of visa altogether  :-\\\\.

That link confused me quite a bit when I applied in August.  UKVI really should get its act together and, at the very least, go in and check through its website and application to clarify these errors.  I know I addressed the issues in the online survey they sent me after my visa was returned to me.

Ukbound78, as ksand said, it's pretty much a waiting game now.  Hopefully the ECO will contact you for the missing documents.  Until they do, you could use this time to take a look at what should have been filled out and prepare everything (Appendix 2, the necessary evidence documents, etc) to be readily available should more information be requested.  I wish you the best of luck!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 01:43:41 PM »
KFdancer;
Yeah I that's the plan. I just want to get started and finish the online application once I'm in US.

So another silly question. On the Sponsor detail,
It just seem rather redundant putting my husband's info when I already did on the family section. Anyway, it was asking when did my sponsor arrived in UK. Should I put his date of birth? Lol I mean he was born here so yeah technically he arrived to UK on that date. :) it doesn't give any other option but to fill that box.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 01:52:15 PM »
Yeah just put his DOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 02:03:10 PM »
Thanks all. You guys been all really helpful. Thanks Ksand24 for the link. Made my life so much easier.

Let's hope everything will go well. Will keep you guys posted.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 04:54:29 PM »
Thank you ksand24 for all your helpful advice and especially on what to do next! :)

So I think you're right, better to just wait to hear from them.. and hopefully just have to email them a scan of the form filled out, because I think we're good on the "specified evidence" (ie. bank statements, marriage certifiicate, etc).

After looking at the appendix 2 form quickly (financial requirement form), it looks like I just need to answer the questions.  I'm pretty sure I sent them ALL the required evidence showing that we meet financial requirement using this as a guide: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/371437/AnnexFM_Section_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

AND also used this guide (which told me to send our marriage certificate): https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/370978/20141106_mmigration_rules_appendix_fm_se_final.pdf

Okay, so strike one for the online application, because this link doesn't even take you to where the appendix is! It links to a form for a completely different type of visa altogether  Undecided.

However, the UKVI website doesn't make it clear that everyone has to print and fill it out though - it implies that only people in North Korea have to do it and that everyone else will fill it out online... which isn't true, because there is no version of it online yet... so I always try to mention it when people ask here about how to apply.

Well you can say that AGAIN!  Because I don't live in North Korea, although this is ONE good reason to do so... Note that the ONLY place that the website (for Non-North Koreans) and/or the online application even attempts to mention appendix 2 relies on that question dropdownlist where you have to choose how you relate to your sponsor, which again, doesn't have an option for spouse, husband, wife... and why I and probably others would just select "Other".

Beatlemania, thank you also, that makes me feel a little better (and a little less of a dumb [smiley=bootyshake.gif]) that I wasn't the only one confused... and I dealt with immigration plenty before... our kids have 4 citizenships by birth alone!  They can just about live and work anywhere in North America and/or Europe, so hopefully they'll never have to worry about immigration.

thanks again... fingers crossed this won't delay things more than a week or two and hopefully can all be resolved with emails...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:58:59 PM by ukbound78 »

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 07:21:36 PM »
Hi guys. Sorry for bumping this up again. I just have a question regarding where to send my Civil Partnership Visa. I got the impression that Sheffield processes settlement visa. But when I paid for my visa, it's instructing me to send it to NY Consulate. Is that usually the case?

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 07:53:47 PM »
Hi guys. Sorry for bumping this up again. I just have a question regarding where to send my Civil Partnership Visa. I got the impression that Sheffield processes settlement visa. But when I paid for my visa, it's instructing me to send it to NY Consulate. Is that usually the case?

Yes, this happens a lot. Just ignore what the online instructions are telling you to do.

Unfortunately, it’s an error with the online application – the online form is generic and covers all visa types, so the instructions for where to send the application are also generic and the same for all visa types.

However, not all visas are processed in NYC, but they haven’t updated the system to differentiate between the different visas types.

If you are applying for a settlement visa, you MUST mail it to Sheffield and not NYC. If you mail it to NYC, they will just mail it back to you and tell you to send it to Sheffield instead.

So, just mail it directly to Sheffield.

Sponsored Links