Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Entry for interview  (Read 982 times)

• Liked: 0
Entry for interview
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:57:30 PM »
A Big 4 Auditing company may request an interview with me in London in late Winter or Spring). My concern is that I left London a few weeks ago when my 6-mo general visitor visa expired. I realise that I cannot enter (or remain?) in the UK more than 6 mo in any year. Will it be a problem for me to enter to do the interview? 

• Liked: 170
Re: Entry for interview
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 09:12:07 AM »
A Big 4 Auditing company may request an interview with me in London in late Winter or Spring). My concern is that I left London a few weeks ago when my 6-mo general visitor visa expired. I realise that I cannot enter (or remain?) in the UK more than 6 mo in any year. Will it be a problem for me to enter to do the interview? 

It will be at the discretion of the ECO that you meet at the airport. The '6 month rule' is not a hard and fast one. So really, no one can know the answer to this...
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:26:26 AM »
Will they really want to have that expense of an in person interview?  Flights, hotel, transport, and a daily per dime will easily cost them a couple of thousand pounds.

I would try to push for a video interviews.  If they push for in person, you could always explain that you may have difficulty entering the UK.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 12:10:28 AM »
I could and am willing to pay for the flights. But they also have a lot of money (major intl corp, the kind that UKV&I favours) and have flown in prospective interviewees before.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:39:54 AM by treacle »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 09:24:46 AM »
If it hasn't been the same length of time since you left the UK before you try to reenter, you'd be taking a risk of not being allowed entry.  I personally wouldn't want to be flown in for an interview, and have to make a phone call stating that I wasn't allowed entry.  Doing so could make the company think you will be difficult to sponsor (which would complicate things), even though you are currently sponsor able (I assume).

If they won't accept video interviews, I would come armed with your return flight information, a letter of invitation for the interview by the company, and a strong understanding of applying for a Tier 2 visa.  I would also recommend arriving the day before the interview and leaving the day after (keep the visit very short).

Good luck with the interviews!

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
I realise that I cannot enter (or remain?) in the UK more than 6 mo in any year.

Where are you getting that from?  There is no such rule.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 12:37:26 PM »
I personally wouldn't want to be flown in for an interview, and have to make a phone call stating that I wasn't allowed entry. 

If that is a genuine concern, would you not apply for a General Visitor before travelling, rather than relying on the visa waiver?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »
If that is a genuine concern, would you not apply for a General Visitor before travelling, rather than relying on the visa waiver?

Good point.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 05:30:48 AM »
Good point.

As I wrote above I have already stayed 6 mo allowed by my entry stamp.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 06:38:25 AM »
As I wrote above I have already stayed 6 mo allowed by my entry stamp.

So? That doesn't mean you can't apply for a visitor visa.

The 6 months in 12 months isn't a hard and fast rule, it's only a guideline. It's entirely up to the immigration officer at the airport or the entry clearance officer processing your visa application as to whether they let you in/grant you the visa.

If they believe you are not a genuine visitor and are trying to use the visitor visa to live in the UK, they can refuse the visa/refuse you entry... And one of the things they look at is how long you've spent in the UK in the last 12 months.

They also look at your personal situation, your reason for travel, whether you have a job and a home to go back to in the US etc.

The fact that you have spent 6 months here already doesn't mean you can't try to come back or apply for a visitor visa, it just means that they might decide to
refuse the visa if they think you've been here too long.  If the interview will be in the Spring, it will have been a few months since you left the UK, and assuming you would only be coming for a few days and you have proof that you will return to the US, so you may be okay.

However, I would probably try to see if they will do a phone/Skype interview first before deciding on entering as a visitor or applying for a visitor visa. Phone interviews are common these days and I'm not sure that it would be worth all the hassle for you to get a visa and pay for flights just to attend the interview in person when it could easily be done over the phone for free.

Sent from my iPod using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 01:50:18 AM »
Thank you for the substantial reply, ksand24.

The interview is meant to be held at the assessment centre where the candidate intends to work, and there is a group exercise plus a presentation required.

If I apply for a pre-arranged visitor visa and am refused, will it be a problem if I try to enter without one anyway?   

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 04:19:46 AM »
Yes, it will be a problem: you can't just try to enter anyway, because you will most likely be refused again.

The whole point of applying for the visitor visa in advance is that you have reason to think you won't be allowed in without one. By applying in advance, you are finding out if you will be allowed in or not, before you actually pay for the ticket to travel here.

Once you have been refused a visa or refused entry to the UK, you will need to apply for a visa in advance every time you wish to visit the UK from then on.

Plus, if you've just been refused a visa because they don't believe you are a genuine visitor, why would they let you in without a visa at the border, where you are essentially 'applying' for the same visa again? Why would they suddenly change their mind?

This is why I suggest the phone/Skype option if possible - it will mean no visa to apply for, no worry about not being let in or being refused a visa, no waste of money on a plane ticket only to be refused at the border, no embarrassment with the company if you have to explain why you can't attend the interview etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 223
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 08:56:52 AM »
Treacle, last year you were asking about overstaying your student visa. You never updated that thread with what happened but if you did overstay that visa (or any other), that might be a reason to apply for a visa in advance.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 02:06:02 AM »
Yes, it will be a problem: you can't just try to enter anyway, because you will most likely be refused again.

The whole point of applying for the visitor visa in advance is that you have reason to think you won't be allowed in without one. By applying in advance, you are finding out if you will be allowed in or not, before you actually pay for the ticket to travel here.

Once you have been refused a visa or refused entry to the UK, you will need to apply for a visa in advance every time you wish to visit the UK from then on.

Plus, if you've just been refused a visa because they don't believe you are a genuine visitor, why would they let you in without a visa at the border, where you are essentially 'applying' for the same visa again? Why would they suddenly change their mind?

This is why I suggest the phone/Skype option if possible - it will mean no visa to apply for, no worry about not being let in or being refused a visa, no waste of money on a plane ticket only to be refused at the border, no embarrassment with the company if you have to explain why you can't attend the interview etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I will apply for the visa in advance as an important part of the application process is an on-site interview and a set of exercises *with* the staff at the intended work location.

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 02:07:00 AM »
Treacle, last year you were asking about overstaying your student visa. You never updated that thread with what happened but if you did overstay that visa (or any other), that might be a reason to apply for a visa in advance.

I didn't overstay my visa that time nor have I ever.

Sponsored Links