Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to manage finances on FA?  (Read 2108 times)

• Liked: 0
How to manage finances on FA?
« on: December 18, 2014, 03:08:19 PM »
I've been reading through all the posts and recommended sites here.  One thing is baffling to me... How are American students managing to apply to UK uni on financial aid when there is a requirement of having approx. £25k in a bank account (for maintenance and tuition) 28 days before you apply for a visa? 

I'm trying to help my son (in the US) with applying for uni, financial aid/scholarships, and a student visa. I have British citizenship and he would be living with me, while he attends uni.  According to the visa requirements, he'd still need £7380 in living expenses and his first year's tuition in a bank account?

Any current or recent students who can give any advice, I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

• Liked: 3595
Re: How to manage finances on FA?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:22:46 PM »
The money must either have been in his bank account (or a parent's, I think?) in full for 28 days before he applies, or he must have an approved US loan that will cover the amount in full, and evidence of that loan (i.e. a loan letter).

Most people here on UK-Y seem to fund their studies using US student or private loans - I've seen Sallie Mae and FAFSA mentioned here before. You just need to check that the UK university is FAFSA-registered and will accept the US funding, as it is distributed through the UK university.

He needs to show 1 full year of tuition, plus the minimum living cost amount for the area he is living in. If he will be living/studying in Inner London, he needs £9,180, and if he will not be in Inner London, it's £7,380.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 03:32:56 PM »
Thanks ksand. I've already gathered that much from your replies on all the other posts. :) I read all of them on the first page (some of them several years old).  

Since the student loan max per year (for the first year) is $9,500 for an independent student and $5,500 for dependent students... I guess I am looking for more info on private loans for uni.  

Is it worth it?  I'm still gobsmacked.  My city is full of international students.. many of them from developing countries.  ??? Yesterday, I felt that it would be possible for my son to study here and now it's just feeling rather hopeless.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:38:16 PM by drofnnyl »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 03:53:39 PM »
It's not apples-to-apples as my studies were in the US University system...  However, my program quite a few international students.  Most were from very well off families and a few had scholarships.

• Liked: 47
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »
A large portion of the international students doing post grad at Cardiff are here on some sort of scholarship. I'm here on US student loans. You should be able to take out a loan on your son's behalf via a parent plus loan I think as part of the usual US government student loan program. The lion's share of my student loans are from post grad work, so my loan limit is much higher. I'm not really sure what to tell you about that other than the parent plus loan.  You could also check into any scholarships set aside for international non EU students by individual universities. I managed to snag a £5k one for my post grad stuff offered through Cardiff Uni.
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab