Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Citizenship question regarding hubs military posts and travel  (Read 501 times)

• Liked: 0
Citizenship question regarding hubs military posts and travel
« on: January 19, 2015, 05:07:50 PM »
Hello everyone!  I've been using this site for MANY years now (8 to be exact!) and you all have helped me get my initial visa, then my ILR and NOW I'm looking to apply for my British Citizenship so I'm hoping you can help again:)

I'm a US citizen married to a Brit.  We've been married 8 years.  My husband is in the British Military and we've been out of England for 4 years now on postings to bases in Cyprus and Germany.

I am pretty sure that being out of England due to military postings doesn't affect my application?  However, on Section 2: Residence requirements it asks for details of all absences from the UK during the last 5 years (or 3 if you are married).

Whilst we were in Cyprus I took 3 trips to America and a few trips back to England.  Whilst in Germany I've taken 2 trips back to America and a few back to England.  Total days absent in other countries (due to visiting family) is only 71 so that's ok.

My question is this....do I put my trips from Cyprus to America and Germany to America?  I can put in the notes that the trips were actually Cyprus to America and not England to America.  Also, would I put trips from Cyprus to England and when I went from Germany to England? I know I'd have to list the international flights to America but I am assuming I can just put in the 'notes' bit that I flew from Frankfurt and not from London.  I'd hate to get rejected because of this:( 

It sounds awfully confusing and I hope someone can help.  THANK YOU in advance :)

Re: Citizenship question regarding hubs military posts and travel
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 08:16:21 AM »
Anyone face this situation before?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 09:37:59 AM »
This in the application concerns me:

5A1. For absences exceeding 730 days (or 450 days for 6(2) applications) we would expect you to have been resident in the UK for the last 8 years (5 years for 6(2) applications) unless the absences were a result of either:
•a posting abroad in Crown or designated service (see section 10). For example, as
a member of HM Forces, or as the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen serving abroad in Crown or designated service; or
•an unavoidable consequence of the nature of your work. For example, if you are a merchant seaman or someone working for a UK based business which requires frequent travel abroad; or
•exceptional or compelling reasons of an occupational or compassionate nature such as having a firm job offer for which British citizenship is a genuine requirement.
Only very rarely would we disregard absences in excess of 900 days (540 days for 6(2) applications). If your absences are more than this limit your application is likely to fail and your fee will not be fully refunded.

It reads that if you've spent more than 50% of the last three years outside the UK, the application will fail (even as the spouse of a member of forces).  For obvious reasons, I hope I am reading that incorrectly.  But before you spend so much money on the application, I would be 100% sure.

In regards to your question, I would do as the application says, list absences from the UK.  I wouldn't list trips from Cyprus or Germany to the US, but instead address those trips in additional information or a cover letter..

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 08:21:19 AM »
Thank you for that.  I believe it reads that if I was absent for all those day it would be OK if I was a dependent of someone in HM Forces. 

I will apply this week! And go from there:)  THANK YOU!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 09:02:40 AM »
I would use the Nationality Checking Service just to be sure.  Hopefully you can get an appointment this week since the fee rises by about £100 on the 6th of April.

Sponsored Links