Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Having trouble trying to move my cats from US to UK  (Read 2323 times)

• Liked: 0
Having trouble trying to move my cats from US to UK
« on: February 02, 2015, 12:23:05 PM »
 :\\\'(

I moved to the UK this past September, I'm here for 3 years on a tier 4 student visa.  My 2 cats are still in Vegas with my mom.  For months I've been trying to get info on flying them over without paying a fortune.  I plan to go back over for a visit in March, bring mom, and the 2 cats back over.  It seems many of the large airlines in the US are not flying pets in the cabin and only few offer to do it as cargo for $1500. One of the cats is old as he was an adult cat when I rescued him in 2001.  I'm not the type of person to just give a pet away. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?  It's been a nightmare thus far and I feel like I'm running out of options.  Thanks in advance.

• Liked: 56
Re: Having trouble trying to move my cats from US to UK
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:50:57 PM »
Yeah this is tricky.

Depending on where you are in the UK, it could possibly be cheaper to fly into Paris (not easy from Vegas where there aren't direct flights) and then drive/take the train over into the UK.  It is cheaper to get pets into France than the UK, but it all depends on your calculations about a) getting the pets in one piece to France (i.e. no stop overs en route) b) distance/hassle to get from France to the UK.  I think one or two people on here have gone that way.  Unfortunately Vegas isn't the best origin airport for that :/

Also, you may need to watch it with Las Vegas because airlines do embargo out of desert cities either in certain months or when the temperature on the tarmac exceeds a certain amount.  You should be good in March, but in case your timeline gets pushed back, you want to be aware of that.

Is there any way your mom can watch the pets while you are away?  I know its three years, but it can be hard to find a place that will take pets in this country, and the vet and immigration hassles, especially if you are doing this from overseas, can be a big hurdle.  We are currently still separated from our kitties and have been for a year now (with long visits to see them) because we aren't yet settled enough to have them come over, so staying separated isn't something I would really recommend unless you had to do it due to cost or complications.  And I am not sure I would want to put them through a flight again either, the confused look on their faces when they came out the other end was both adorable and heartbreaking.  If you have any way to not put the older cat through the journey, even though they are usually safe enough, I would avoid that.

Either way, it will be pretty expensive, but if you can pull it off in any way where you can fly them into a country other than the UK and enter via land, that may be the better way to go.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 10:18:54 PM »
Typing with my American cat sitting in my lap purring.

Coming into the UK, pets can ONLY be in the hold.  It is very expensive.

The Paris option can work better.

I do agree with Bertine.  As your move is temporary, would it be best to have your mom watch them.  Then they won't have the trauma of two transatlantic flights?  Especially if they are old?   I've been here for many years now and one of my cats still hides if he sees suitcases.   :\\\'(

• Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 08:05:07 AM »
I would only consider subjecting pets to a flight -- especially a long one -- if I were 100% certain I would be staying and wouldn't have to ship them back again.  Even when I came over permanently I had to leave my Myra in a new home (a friend of my cousin) which was a wrench but best for her.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:10:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  Since my fiance is a Brit we plan to stay here in the UK, my mom does have my cats but she doesn't like cats.  She was raised old school with the old wives tales about cats being evil etc.  We're also trying to get her moved over here  so leaving the cats with her is not really an option.  This is all so frustrating!

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 02:23:29 PM »
Hi there..... I am going through the same thing! I just booked my 2 cats on Virgin Atlantic.  We are flying on Feb. 26th from Miami and it was $950 for both! Virgin charges by the size of the carrier... mine is 24x15x16.  Now, they do get you when you arrive at Heathrow by charging £359 on arrival so I can deal with that!  But it is a nonstop flight and just knowing we are on the same plane helps take some of the stress out the whole trip! Maybe look at flying from Las Vegas to another point of exit that has nonstop to London. It was actually easy to do and they were extremely helpful and understanding.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 05:46:52 PM »
I'm moving my cat there as well-as far as I can see yes the charges are pricey. I would not trust anybody with my cat just because he's such a momma's boy. I know he will do well because he loves Chris and I'm moving him over right before I go. I've looked into the actual pet relocation services and the quotes were in the 4-5 thousands. If you can get him the generalized international health check up and flight you're probably looking around $1,400 to do it yourself.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »
I was quoted $950 for two cats from Boston - London Heathrow on Virgin Atlantic.   The crate dimensions we're using are 24" L X 16.25" W X 14.75".

There is also a roughly $600 customs fee on arrival at Heathrow.

To be honest the most complex part of the process appears to be the USDA since a USDA vet has to examine the cats within 10 days of departure, but then the paperwork has to be mailed to the USDA in Albany NY to be stamped before we can travel - what a terrible system: making essential paperwork have to be mailed hundreds of miles days before travel.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM »
I've had this page bookmarked for months while waiting for my citizenship paperwork to come through as there is no way I could leave my two cats behind in the US.  It's funny people say they can only be in the hold, as Virgin states on here they are allowed under the seat in front of you and it's only a $100 charge per pet. 

http://virginamerica.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88

I also do know you will get stopped at Heathrow and need all your vaccination paperwork on you. I believe the UK requires more shots than we do, but I can't find my link right now

• Liked: 6
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 08:43:52 PM »
You linked to Virgin America which is a domestic only US carrier.

Virgin Atlantic is the international carrier that serves the UK.  Here is their pet web page:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en/travel-information/flying-with-pets.html

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 04:49:57 PM »
You linked to Virgin America which is a domestic only US carrier.

Virgin Atlantic is the international carrier that serves the UK.  Here is their pet web page:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en/travel-information/flying-with-pets.html

Ah thank you, and good to know! Kind of crazy that the flight from NY to London is so much shorter than NY to LA and yet they will only let you have the animal in the cabin on the latter

Sponsored Links