Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Not rinsing dishes?!?!  (Read 8888 times)

• Liked: 163
Re: Not rinsing dishes?!?!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »
Most people in the UK do not rinse after they have washed the dish in hot soapy water.

Most people in the UK think Ant & Dec are entertaining.  That doesn't mean they are.

To rinse with water would be a waste of water...

Do you stop your clothes washer before the rinse cycle to save water?  Do you rinse the soap off your car when you wash it?

To rinse with water ... is unnecessary. The washing up liquid is not toxic.

In addition to removing soapy residue, rinsing also removes any traces of food caught up in the soapy water but not yet removed from the dish/cutlery.  Not rinsing results in dried soap speckled with tiny bits of dried food on your dishes.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 10:25:30 AM »
I think a lot about dish washing.

I have discovered a few truths:

Nobody gives you a medal for washing dishes. In fact, those who don't wash dishes don't even think dish washing occurs. To them there must be a dish washing imp who slips in a does them. Non-dishwashers actually get a little annoyed at dishwashers...rattling around in there.

Dishes seem to dirty themselves somehow. I will finish up washing every single pot and plate....and just like an hour or so later I will swing through the kitchen and there will be a few dirty odds and ends. A cup and dish...four or five spoons and forks...

Smash instants mash potatoes must be washed off any surface immediately, because whatever is in that sh*t dries like concrete.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 8
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 11:13:18 AM »
Ugh - one of my few pet peeves! DH has managed to use this to his advantage, because I have taken over dishwashing 100%. Sure, soap might not be toxic, but when you spend extra for a nice bottle of wine, only to have it ruined by soap residue on your glasses, or when your toddler hands her sippy cup back because her water tastes disgusting, how hard can it be to JUST RINSE???

• Liked: 537
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 12:45:35 PM »
I've noticed this too and I think it's gross. I think I've got my hubby into the habit of completely rinsing things. And how is it really a "waste of water" here in the UK. Is there a water shortage?

What's the point in washing dishes if you leave soap suds all over them?
Not to mention our baking trays are disgusting after a few uses because non of the dish soaps seem to remove all of the oil from cooking food on them. Where's a bottle of Dawn when you need it?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 01:00:03 PM »
DH seems to have developed a weird compulsive obsessive thing in retirement.  When he's finished his porridge or whatever he gets up and rinses the bowl (cold water) and scrubs out the food.  If I say, don't bother I'm going to wash up in a minute (hot water) he says the food will harden and not come off (it does with hot water)  I tend to do the sneaky thing and rewash his contributions.  He also neglects to wash the outside of things so there are remnants left.

But then DH wouldn't wash up if you paid him (spoiled  ::) ) Fortunately there is a lovely big dish washer for him.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 47
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 01:25:08 PM »
My housemates neglect the bottom of plates. It's so gross. They leave them dirty and stacked in their room until we have no clean plates to speak of, then "wash" them in one go, but don't get the bottom which has grease and food bits. Then they restock them "clean" on the shelf, just putting the dirty plate bottoms right on top of the eating surface. Drives me nuts.
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 85
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 02:40:55 PM »
Most people in the UK think Ant & Dec are entertaining.  That doesn't mean they are.

Do you stop your clothes washer before the rinse cycle to save water?  Do you rinse the soap off your car when you wash it?

In addition to removing soapy residue, rinsing also removes any traces of food caught up in the soapy water but not yet removed from the dish/cutlery.  Not rinsing results in dried soap speckled with tiny bits of dried food on your dishes.

I did not think my post would result in a personal attack, I have lived long enough to have seen most cultures around the world and I would never suggest that because someone does something different i.e not rinse after washing a dish that it is disgusting.  There are many differences between US/UK some good some not so good.
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

• Liked: 4
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 03:00:22 PM »
I'm sorry; I didn't mean it as a personal attack at all. But surely it's a statement of fact to say that not rinsing dishes is less clean than rinsing the soap off of them.

• Liked: 85
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 04:17:31 PM »
when finished washing a dish it is as squeeky clean as one that has been rinsed.  I was all the dishes by cleanest first, so glasses then silverware then plates.  If the water has become too dirty or too cold I would empty the washing up bowl and refill with fresh hot soapy water to wash the remaining pots/cookware

If you deem that to be disgusting them as I said in my original post most of the UK do it the same way.

Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

• Liked: 134
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »
I think it's just the last in a sequence in steps that one goes through when washing anything.  When I wash my hands, I rinse the soap off of them.  When I wash my hair, I rinse the shampoo out of it.  When I wash my dishes, I rinse the soap off of them.

I don't know why people don't wash the bottoms of plates?!  I wash everything!  I also lived with people who didn't wash the rims of the glasses; they just washed the bottom of the inside.  WHAT?!  The rim is the most important part of a used glass to wash!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Midstream Musings
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 06:26:53 PM »
I, too, have observed this phenomenon in silent dismay. I didn't realize it was a UK cultural norm. This reminds me of the great washed/unwashed eggs debate with its differing schools of thought and preference on either side of the pond! 
Life in the UK; from marriage and the big move in 2010 to becoming a citizen in 2014.

"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or we find it not"

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Liked: 47
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 06:36:50 PM »
I, too, have observed this phenomenon in silent dismay. I didn't realize it was a UK cultural norm. This reminds me of the great washed/unwashed eggs debate with its differing schools of thought and preference on either side of the pond! 

At least there are legitimate scientific reason for each side of the egg debate. Both have their benefits and drawbacks and I've happily adjusted to having one less thing crowding up my fridge. But I cannot get past the dishes. Perhaps mostly because I'm constantly finding still food caked or greasy ones on a shelf of supposedly clean ones. Maybe I just have excessively gross housemates, and it's possible to get them clean that way, but I don't think I'll ever be convinced of it.
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 163
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 09:07:44 PM »
I did not think my post would result in a personal attack....

Disagreeing about dishwashing methods is a personal attack?  Calm down, mate.  If you want to eat soap, nobody is going to stop you.

I have lived long enough to have seen most cultures around the world and I would never suggest that because someone does something different i.e not rinse after washing a dish that it is disgusting.

I understand, but I disagree.  "Disgusting" is a subjective term, so while you may not find unrinsed dishes disgusting, other people might.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 07:57:40 AM »
In some countries, so I hear, they eat cats and dogs, and have done for ages. Personally, I find that more than disgusting. Others' opinions may vary.

I grew up eating fried squirrel. Squirrels are basically rats with good PR. Many folks find that disgusting, including some on this forum. Others who grew up in the southern US as I did may find it perfectly OK. Being a bit more knowledgeable now, I wouldn't eat squirrel, but if you like it, go for it.

It's not a personal attack, it's others expressing a personal opinion. Quite different from the old Saturday Night Live skit where Jane Curtin gave a commentary, and when it was Dan Ackroyd's turn, he always began with "Jane, you ignorant $!#t"...... Now THAT was a personal attack; this isn't.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 09:23:56 AM »
I grew up eating fried squirrel.

I like this a lot! My father's family were hunters and were forever swinging by with some wild game or another. The problem with squirrel (and especially game birds) is that after you have cleaned, gutted, skinned and plucked - there's not a lot there.

But this whole thing with the rinsing, I think calling it disgusting is a bit much.

Isn't there an ISO Standard for this sort of thing?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab