Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Not rinsing dishes?!?!  (Read 8853 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: Not rinsing dishes?!?!
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
And I have been reading recently about this survey of women's showering habits; apparently 2/3 of women do not shower every day. There's a lot of gasping going on, with the Mail particularly shocked or something. The comments section is, as usual, filled with erudite musings. "Disgusting" comes up a lot...

Heavy cologne bothers me more to be honest...I am not bothered by skipping a day showering.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 9
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »
I shower every day except Sunday, unless we are going somewhere (because then I have to wash my hair to get it to behave). However, I do start every Sunday (that we stay in) with a sink bath. A person can skip a shower here and there and still be fresh and clean in a couple minutes, and not need to heavily spray perfume to hide the odor. A soapy/body wash-y washcloth and a basin of water to rinse with does wonders. I personally wouldn't go out without showering, but for staying in this does the trick.

Heavy perfume/cologne sets of my allergies, and the allergies of a lot of others, plus assaulting the senses of everyone.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 19
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2015, 10:45:38 AM »

I grew up eating fried squirrel. Squirrels are basically rats with good PR.

Squirrels?  That's nothing!  My dad used to give frozen squirrels to my aunts as Christmas gifts! We had to make do with raccoon.  (Which isn't bad, but is super greasy, so plan to parboil it to skim off the fat.)

Of course, we also ate venison at least 3 times a week, and pheasant, and grouse, and all kinds of other game that you'd pay a small fortune for here-- whether you're buying it at Waitrose, or spending a week 'hunting' on an estate.  Personally, I can't bring myself to pay £24/kg for venison, when I used to pay $24 for the entire deer.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2015, 11:34:46 AM »
Personally, I can't bring myself to pay £24/kg for venison, when I used to pay $24 for the entire deer.

I am the same way about oysters. Raw, they are my favourite food. But they are £2 EACH here! When I left Florida, they were $15 for a huge 60 lb bag. Can't do it.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 12
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2015, 04:04:45 PM »
As for dish-washing ... my experience guided by intellect has lead me to believe that one has to use the fingers as well as the eyes to determine if a dish is clean or not.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 47
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »
As for dish-washing ... my experience guided by intellect has lead me to believe that one has to use the fingers as well as the eyes to determine if a dish is clean or not.

I agree wholeheartedly.
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 9
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2015, 06:10:46 PM »

I use my fingers for silverware instead of my dish cloth. I want to feel the surface., With other dishes, I use the cloth, then feel for bits to see if they need to be washed again.

As far as squirrel, rabbit, venison, etc., all of that is eaten quite frequently in our area. Not a lot of my family hunt, but we were given game meat often by neighbors who did and had plenty to share.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 0
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 02:46:17 AM »
The very first time I did dishes with Himself, he didn't rinse the dishes.  Now, I know he wasn't raised properly and I simply assumed that it was him being him and not knowing how to properly wash dishes by hand.  So I told him how to do it.  He didn't understand the purpose of it.  I had to explain to him that one needs to rinse the soap off off and he looked at me and said that the soap just drops to the bottom and falls down onto the counter.  I managed to get him to rinse things off but I was shocked when I saw the parental units doing the same thing. 

That was when I realized that this must be a UK thing.  I still don't get it and Himself probably doesn't rinse when I am not around.
Feb 2008 met on an online webcom forum
2009 started developing friendship
2010 got accepted to University of Hull
Aug 2011 got student visa
Sept 21, 2011 arrived in Manchester
Jan 23, 2103 visa expired, had to return home
Feb. 2, 2105 complicated divorce is finally granted!
April 20, '15, get hitched

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 09:54:48 AM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, just use the *search* option to see how much this subject comes up.  ;D

I'm proudly using a washing up bowl and not rinsing my dishes!!  Hooray, I'm disgusting!  I don't care!!  This stuff saves me tons of time, time I'd rather use doing something more interesting and I've never made myself ill from not rinsing!!!  
Oh I cannot wait until my house is built and we've got a dishwasher.   A little over three months to go!  

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 12:34:23 PM »
Do UK dishwashers have a rinse cycle??
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2015, 01:18:09 PM »
Do UK dishwashers have a rinse cycle??

Mine does.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 03:58:30 PM »
Yep, I find the not rinsing dishes pretty gross.  I thought it was just DH for awhile until I saw a commercial on TV for fairy and the dishes in the drainer had suds on them... then I knew, it's everywhere! DH now rinses the dishes thankfully. When he did a working holiday in Australia years ago his room mates were also put off by it and asked him to please rinse them as they don't want to eat soap.  I think what I find really bothersome is that I've seen some people fill up a sink with water pile the dishes in to let them soak.  Then they take them out and put them in the drainer.  No sponge involved, sink is full of floating food, etc. WHY?!
Keepin' it real. Real annoying.

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 06:50:18 PM »
Growing up in Britain, My parents and I always rinsed dishes after washing them. This is something new to me folks.

I did encounter people who liked to leave the washed dishes on the drainer to dry, but that was usually after they rinsed them?

I think?? I don't know! I can't remember! Oh god! Maybe I am disgusting. I don't know.

I live in America now and have a Dishwasher. It has a rinse cycle.

How are you all finding the two taps instead of one spigot? :-P That was something I never thought about it before I read this thread! haha

• Liked: 111
Re:
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2015, 07:31:48 PM »
My husband also shattered my illusions when I caught him washing the dishes and not rinsing them, the very first time in our home. My best friend, who was visiting us from Houston, put a stop to it by making gagging noises. Then I discovered his Gran, my MIL and my son's childminder didn't rinse either. That is why in most photos of our family gatherings, you see me in the kitchen with marigolds on!! Seriously!

As for the spigot, it didn't bother me, at all. What got me was that when we bought our first home in 1999, we had to pay extra for a shower in the main bathroom and an outside water tap. I did have a dishwasher (no excuse for not rinsing dishes now!) and a single garage though. However, the single garage did not exactly fit my Citroen Saxo. Okay, it did but I found out I couldn't get out of the car by opening the door. That model of Saxo had a fully retractable roof so guess how I got out of it, the first time?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

• Liked: 85
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 07:57:20 PM »
Just because the citizens of the country you live in do things differently does not make them gross, disgusting or need to be corrected.  You rinse, but most in UK dont! some could say dont worry about it, "it is an American thing"  Do a search and you will find this has been discussed at least once a year for a long time.

live and let live  ;D
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

Sponsored Links