Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR Approved / Old Rules / In-Person Sheffield PEO  (Read 828 times)

• Liked: 0
ILR Approved / Old Rules / In-Person Sheffield PEO
« on: February 28, 2015, 10:18:31 AM »
Hello everyone,

My SET(M) (ILR) application has been approved via an in-person at the Sheffield PEO! We were under old rules (just barely!) I thought that this application was going to be easier than the FLR(M) and Fiance' Visa. Turns out I think it was the most frustrating and stressful as far as documents and paperwork. I'm a person that likes to make sure every little thing is accounted for, t's crossed, i's dotted, etc., so perhaps it's just me. I was also worried about finances and a previous OWI conviction from 2006 in the US (the new 'character' rules had me concerned).

For those thinking about doing an in-person at the Sheffield PEO, here is my experience:

Our appointment was for 8:00am on a Thursday. We arrived at about 7:30am and were the only people there. The usual airport-like security was done and the two security people were extremely polite and friendly. They didn't ask to see the appointment email - even after I offered to show it to them. After we finished we were given our ticket number and told to go to Number 3 desk in the application area.

The Sheffield Home Office has had a refurb since our last visit for FLR two years ago. It's so much nicer!
A new glass wall and doors separates the entrance from the application area. The appointment desks are more spacious and modern than before, and without any of the nasty impersonal glass between you and staff person as they had previously. They have a sticker at each station that indicates you can request to have your interview done in private - I don't recall seeing anything like this previously. There are new cushy chairs and sofas, gone are those horrible 60s/70s hard coloured plastic bolted-on-frame chairs. There's also a glass partition that partially shields the seating from the applications desks - no more waiting seats facing up to interview widows/stations where the whole waiting area can hear your business. I always felt uncomfortable with the old setup.

The woman who went through our application was very friendly and courteous, and still retained her professionalism. She asked us where we were from, where we were staying, if it was our first time here and how we liked it. I joked with her that we like Sheffield - but we chose here instead of Croydon so I could pick up some Henderson's Relish. She laughed.

She asked for the application first, looked at the photos attached, paged through the application quickly and only stopping where I listed my one conviction. She asked what an 'OWI' was, after I explained to her what it was and I had court docs included she just kind of rolled her eyes a little.
She then asked for all the supporting documents I brought with me. I handed them over and informed her there were also copies of everything included, in which she smiled.
I had all the original supporting docs sorted to match the order on the application with sticky notes indicating the section number and type of documents and indicating originals. Then the copies followed the exact same order for that section. i.e, Section 8 original docs with sticky note and paperclip/Section 8 copies of originals with sticky note and paperclip - then all paper-clipped as one section.

Then she explained that my biometrics would be next and would be called soon. She also mentioned that after the biometrics we could either wait or leave and come back - further offering the places we could go to if interested. Very nice touch.

About 20 minutes later I was called for the biometrics (I think the only reason it took 20 minutes of waiting was the biometrics person hadn't arrived yet since we were so early!). This went quickly and was told that my case was currently being reviewed and there should be a decision in a half hour to an hour and could leave and come back, or just wait in the waiting area. We chose to wait as it was raining outside and knew it wouldn't be all that long. In retrospect, if it hadn't been raining I think I would have preferred to leave and come back as it was so quiet and empty there that every door opening, every conversation by staff, etc was cause for worry, hopefulness, etc in regards to our decision. We laughed and talked to try and pass the excruciating ticking of the clock.

About 45 minutes after the biometrics our number was called and went to the same desk and told we were approved! She returned all our passports and original docs, copies were kept - some unnecessary copies returned. It appeared they didn't even bother looking at the docs for my court case for the OWI - the originals and copies were returned in the same state as when I handed them over. She mentioned that my old BRP would be destroyed and the new one sent to me and should arrive in 7 days. I was also handed the instructions indicating I was approved, what would happen next and what it meant to now hold the ILR.
She asked if we had any questions and asked if we wouldn't mind answering a survey before we left on an iPad-like device mounted on a pedestal - which we happily did.

From the time we arrived to the time we left with our decision was just less than 1 1/2 hours! I think that is pretty darn good! And only one other person came in for an appointment during that whole time.

The whole PEO experience was really pleasurable at Sheffield. Even the security people were very friendly - asking if were coming back and bid us a very pleasurable farewell and 'have a great day'. Wow! I can't say they weren't friendly before, it just seemed more apparent that extra effort was being made to give good impressions. Perhaps there had been a lot of moaning about the costs of an in-person appointment? It really seemed like they were trying to put their best foot forward. I can say that this was certainly a very pleasant experience (except for my nerves in perpetration for all this) and would not hesitate doing an in-person at the Sheffield PEO if anyone is considering it.

I must say thank you again to all the people on this forum who have helped with their knowledge and suggestions - a few very active, long-time contributors here are god-sends. If I ever come across them out there - the pints (or coffee/tea) are on me!
This is THE place to come for advice for this whole settlement process. It has certainly helped me immensely. THANK YOU!!
"Nothing ever happens if you don't make it happen" - from 'Time Flies' by Porcupine Tree

• Liked: 223
Re: ILR Approved / Old Rules / In-Person Sheffield PEO
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:26:47 AM »
Congrats!  ;D

I agree, the people working at the PEOs are very friendly. We found the exact same thing in Croydon in Dec 2012 and again in Nov 2014.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

Sponsored Links