Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just have vent-moving here has changed everything I thought about America!  (Read 11036 times)

• Liked: 13
New to this board and I have already seen a lot of people have the same frustrations I do so sorry if some of mine are repeats. I just feel sometimes like I want a place to just say what bothers me because it's hard to talk to anyone personally...as I don't want to offend people. 

I moved here from the west coast of America (before lived in the south). I liked it but I thought London would suit me more and was tired of America for the same reasons other people often get tired of them. Also, my husband is British and that is the main reason why we moved here. But after about a year, I have to finally admit...I really don't like it. And my opinions about my homeland were turned upside down.

(disclaimer: i know i'm making sweeping generalizations)

1) After a year, someone has finally invited me out. I had heard how cold the British were and didn't believe it. i was wrong. I cant see how anyone has friends here as people just don't seem interested in hanging out or forming close friendships. I know American friendships are more "superficial" but now I'd take that over this any day. That's better than people treating you as if you don't exist at all.

2) I feel like I can't talk to people here. A lot of people don't get personal and don't joke around. I remember laughing at work a lot in the states and when I try to joke, it falls flat or people don't get it (i have a dark sense of humour though.) But in general, I find the conversation here to be pretty dull, which then in turn makes me dull.

3) All the commuting and the fast pace is exhausting. Do you really need to run to the train? You can't wait for the next one in 1 minute???

4) The comedy. There's very few shows i find funny here, it's like watching paint dry a lot of times. Also, i find a lot of the humour very juevnile and at times sexist.

5) speaking of which, i've noticed a more sexist vibe here which infuriates me. one job i had, the women weren't invited to meetings. what's worse, a lot of women let this happen and encourage it by catering to this. i'on one end, ve seen girls here become strippers and nude models just to fit into the british notion of sexy and at the other end, is the woman who has an identity which is tied to her husband.  another american (male) is bothered by this too and thinks it's because mothers often treat their sons like kings.  (again, not true of everyone but a lot more than i experienced in the US)

6) Food. Ok it's better than I thought to be fair but it is bland. even salt and pepper are not even used. as for it supposedly being healthier, i've put on 12 pounds here and heavier here than i EVER was in the US. this is even when I lived in the south. ive had to go on an extreme diet to try and lose weight and I'm not the type to eat junk and eat healthy. also, every day i seem to have a stomach ache.

7) Food 2. it also annoys me that the british think their food is the best when half the time, a lot of food is pre-made, even for special occasions. i had never heard of paxo and of anyone making stuffing from a packet. it seems like a lot of food is pre-made of is from some sort of packet, yet it still passes as "cooking."

8) The stiff upper lip. it's a lot of conservative than i thought it would be. especially my DH's family, which totally surprised me as i thought my own family was very conservative. but they resent he moved to the big city London (mind you, they are only an hour away.) And just dont understand me at all because I am a modern woman with a career and was very independent (something that's alien to them apparently) I listen to rock music and a bit creative but that's somehow very different for people, which is strange.

9) which leads to my next point, i thought there would be a great music scene here since a lot of my favorite music is from britain. but all you hear here is pop music and barely anyone i have met is rock at all. but now i see why rock music is so good...the bands had so much stiffness to rebel against!

10) the biggest one. the anti-americanism. for such a supposedly polite people, they are awfully rude to foreigners and particularly americans. i know we bait them, but it's like they are obsessed. We never talk about the british yet you hear about us everyday on tv. and they dont like it when we ask stupid questions but then in turn ask us americans stupid questions like, do we all own guns? guess what? you sound just like what you are spouting off against!

ugh i could go on and on. dishes left unwashed, cleaning products poor, bad customer service, nothing to do but go to pubs, nothing open most of the time you are free, a focus on work and not life....but it would be a long list.

of course there are things i like but i dont think it outweighs these points. and american isnt perfect either and of course some places in america are better than others. as someone who was a bit embarrassed at our society and a liberal alternative hippie, i am now a proud american and have never appreciated us like i do now. i like how we have a lot of ambition and put ourselves out there and act a bit crazy sometimes, that's better than boring!

• Liked: 6
2) I feel like I can't talk to people here. A lot of people don't get personal and don't joke around. I remember laughing at work a lot in the states and when I try to joke, it falls flat or people don't get it (i have a dark sense of humour though.) But in general, I find the conversation here to be pretty dull, which then in turn makes me dull.
I don't totally agree with this one, at least not in my experience. My coworkers love to joke around and laugh at work, all day (to the point where I am constantly distracted from the work I'm trying to do). It's just their idea of "jokes" are grossly offensive. Like jokes about one coworker ejaculating on me, or "all ethnic minorities are child molestors".

3) All the commuting and the fast pace is exhausting. Do you really need to run to the train? You can't wait for the next one in 1 minute???
I don't live anywhere near London, and don't really take the train into/out of Exeter all that often, but I really hate commuting here, just because it takes so long. There's a stereotype that Americans have a terrible work-life balance because we have slightly longer hours, but I don't see how it's much better here. I waste way more of my life on my terrible job simply because of my ridiculous travel time, and make less money for the privilege!

5) speaking of which, i've noticed a more sexist vibe here which infuriates me. one job i had, the women weren't invited to meetings. what's worse, a lot of women let this happen and encourage it by catering to this. i'on one end, ve seen girls here become strippers and nude models just to fit into the british notion of sexy and at the other end, is the woman who has an identity which is tied to her husband.  another american (male) is bothered by this too and thinks it's because mothers often treat their sons like kings.  (again, not true of everyone but a lot more than i experienced in the US)
I don't really have anything to add to this, but based on my response to the first quote, I'm sure you won't be surprised that I agree!

• Liked: 533
You know, Italy is a short hop away. Shoot you can take a train and be in Paris in a couple of hours.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 3595
1) After a year, someone has finally invited me out. I had heard how cold the British were and didn't believe it. i was wrong. I cant see how anyone has friends here as people just don't seem interested in hanging out or forming close friendships. I know American friendships are more "superficial" but now I'd take that over this any day. That's better than people treating you as if you don't exist at all.

Interestingly, when I lived in the US as a student (I'm British), I found it much harder to make friends with Americans than with other international students. Other than an initial friendly conversation, no one seemed interested in talking to me again - I would try to make friends and no one really seemed bothered to talk to me.

It could be a London thing for you though - generally speaking, Londoners seem to be a bit more closed off than people from other parts of the country. People do like their own space in the UK though - if you start saying hi to random people in the street, they're going to think you're weird (especially in London) :P, so it might be a case of picking your moments.

I would recommend reading the book 'Watching The English' by Kate Fox - it's pretty good and explains a lot about why the English are the way they are :).

Guess it depends on the people in the office, maybe and possibly also the type of work? I work on an RAF base and we have a mix of people in our office - only 2 or 3 people on shift at the same time, but some shifts are pretty quiet where none of us really talk much and others are full of chatter and laughing.

A couple of years ago, I spent a summer working in science research down at our company HQ, on a massive floorplate with a couple of hundred people and the whole place was practically silent all day - because everyone in there was a hard-working research scientist, completely focused on their own work. I found it so tedious that I couldn't wait to get back to the base.

That's London for you, I guess. I can only survive about one day there before I get frustrated with the crowds and the rushing. I like cities, but the pace of London can be exhausting. Having said that, right now I'm living 8,000 miles from the UK, on a collection of islands the size of Connecticut, but with a population of just 3,000 people. I have to drive 40 miles to the only town, just to go to a supermarket (of which there are only two).

Can't really compare it with the US, but I have to agree with this right now. I'm living in an Officer's Mess on an overseas air force base right now, and it seems that as one of the few females on base (in a mainly young, female-based office), I can get away with a hell of a lot when it comes to people doing things for me. Officers open up bars just because we're there and we have automatic invites to the more exclusive bars. If I want to get on a flight, or ask a favour, or get free drinks, pretty much all I have to do is smile at them and the pilots are falling over themselves to help me.

It can be quite handy in some respects, but it kind of sucks on the equal opportunities front. I'm not a girly-girl and I would prefer to just be treated like one of the guys.

6) Food. Ok it's better than I thought to be fair but it is bland. even salt and pepper are not even used. as for it supposedly being healthier, i've put on 12 pounds here and heavier here than i EVER was in the US. this is even when I lived in the south. ive had to go on an extreme diet to try and lose weight and I'm not the type to eat junk and eat healthy. also, every day i seem to have a stomach ache.

I've found I'm getting stomach aches a lot where I'm living now - I don't really get a choice in what I eat, and there's a lot of stodgy, heavy food here, which I don't eat back in the UK. However, when I'm in the UK and have a choice in my food, I can usually keep the weight off (as long as I don't binge on sweets and chocolate). Also, I don't get much chance to exercise here (partly due to working 70-hour weeks and being exhausted), so I can feel myself putting on weight every day here.

Salt and pepper are definitely used in the UK though, perhaps not in the cooking itself, but it's always on the table if you want to add your own. I lived in New Mexico when I was in the US, so I hate bland food - I need spice! So, I just add chilli or pepper to most of my food. If you're cooking for yourself, you can easily flavour the food to your own taste.

8) The stiff upper lip. it's a lot of conservative than i thought it would be. especially my DH's family, which totally surprised me as i thought my own family was very conservative. but they resent he moved to the big city London (mind you, they are only an hour away.) And just dont understand me at all because I am a modern woman with a career and was very independent (something that's alien to them apparently) I listen to rock music and a bit creative but that's somehow very different for people, which is strange.

Some families are just like that, I guess - I wouldn't say it's a UK-wide thing, more a personal thing. My parents are pretty laidback and mum even encouraged me to move to London when I was younger because she said everyone should experience living in London at least once (though I ended up not doing so) and now all 3 of her kids live in different countries.

Then again, as a computer programmer, my mum is the most 'normal' of all of us - my dad is a drummer, I'm a meteorologist, my youngest brother is an outdoor adventurer and my other brother is a stuntman :P.

9) which leads to my next point, i thought there would be a great music scene here since a lot of my favorite music is from britain. but all you hear here is pop music and barely anyone i have met is rock at all. but now i see why rock music is so good...the bands had so much stiffness to rebel against!

The music in the UK has turned pretty crap in the last few years. Rock was big 30-40 years ago, but these days, it's not really around so much. I grew up in the 90s and I was a fan of Brit pop and 'real' bands, but these days it's all about manufactured pop and American imports.

nothing open most of the time you are free, a focus on work and not life....but it would be a long list.

Interesting, because a focus on work and not life was a big reason why I left the US to return to the UK. I've found that the US is generally much more focused on 'living to work' than the UK. My aunt has lived in the US for 37 years - she still only gets 10 days paid vacation per year and has only managed to visit the UK 5 times in the last 25 years because she couldn't take any time off. On the other hand, in the last 3 years, I have taken almost 6 months of vacation time from my UK job and I'm encouraged to take it all. Again, it could be a London thing, with people more serious about work and earning money than other parts of the UK.

After spending 10 of the last 20 months living on remote islands in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, I can't wait to get back to the UK where shops are actually open more than a few hours a week (everything seems to be closed on Sundays and Mondays here), where I can actually get to a supermarket whenever I want to, where the food in the supermarkets is actually still in date, where I can buy fresh milk (after 10 months, UHT milk is the bane of my existence), where the internet is faster than dial-up and doesn't cost a bomb, where there isn't a toilet roll shortage because it didn't arrive on the boat this month, where I can actually buy green vegetables and fresh fruit, and where it doesn't take 2 weeks to receive mail from the UK!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Ahhh, these types of threads are always, your mileage may vary.   I could probably say a lot of my experience is the complete opposite.  But I don't live in the big city of London, (I live in a pretty small city in Scotland and will soon be living in a lovely rural part, but only about 15 minutes from where I live right now), I work in a company that values women and women's leadership, I have an extremely great laugh with everyone I  know (Scottish and not), I had more invites out (and these folks are still my friends over seven years later)  within the first two weeks of moving here than I did in six years of living in South Florida (speaking of places where people don't want to be your friend!!), grow my own veg so have healthy food, live in a place with some stunning restaurants, and find the music scene where I live varied and unique.   

Still,  of course, vent away, because these are your perceptions and are obviously bothering you, rightly so, these things would bother me too if I felt them.  Many folks will be able to commiserate with you, based upon my many years of being on UKY!  Hopefully someone will have some advice for you  :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 0

I don't live in the UK yet  (2 months to go hopefully!) but I visit very often and have done so over the years.  Maybe because I'm going from a big US city (NYC) I find the exact opposite to be true. You definitely don't speak to strangers here so meeting friends would be extremely difficult and when people visit me from abroad they find NYC is very lonely.  Now on the flip side, every time I've gone to London I've ended up chatting with people in pubs and have had strangers invite me to come out to parties and events with their friends. I've made so many friends over there that I get to visit each time I'm over and am happy to have when I move.   I have heard it's different living in other parts of the US, so maybe you're just coming from somewhere more friendly so London seems less so in comparison?

Again, coming from a big city this seems completely normal and yes we do need to run for the trains.  In fact when I commute in London there is so much less pushing and screaming at people than I deal with on a daily basis that it's a breath of fresh air.

Maybe in a few years you'll get to move to a smaller city that better suits you? So much of England is so beautiful compared to what you get when you move out of a big city in the US.  So much culture and you're so close to all of Europe for holiday (which you get so much more of in the UK than what we kill ourselves for in the US) that maybe you'll settle into a happy state?  Hope it gets better for you!!

@bfrenchfry I am from a really big city, Los Angeles. but i think the two cities have completely different vibes. And I visited England many times I moved before too and was looking forward to it and had no idea what the reality would be. I'd say visiting (no matter how many times, I had visited both for business and personal) is nothing of course compared to living there. I don't mean to scare you, I'm sure it will be much less of a shock coming from NYC, but for me, even though I had my frustrations with LA, I didn't know how good I had it. This second year has been better so far, but it doesnt compare to LA for me...so far. I think I prefer the laid-back, creative way of Los Angeles than the hustle and bustle, work oriented life. On that note, I have found London to be filled with great job prospects and did way better than I did work wise in LA...i just dont have the time the appreciate any of it.

• Liked: 12
I am from a really big city, Los Angeles. but i think the two cities have completely different vibes. 
Apples and oranges.

May I step in here and point out that a lot of you don't know you're born.  When I first came to the UK (40 years ago) things were rather different.  There were no Starbucks or even Costa.  There was no Tropicana orange juice or barely any kind except UHT in cartons.  Nobody had heard of butternut squash and blueberries (or bilberries) were only obtainable by picking them in the woods.  The only exotic foreign food available was Indian, Chinese or Italian.

Nobody did anything for Halloween (in England anyway).  Towns and most cities had an "early closing" day when shops would close down at noon.  Nothing open on Sundays at all.  Licensing hours were much stricter.  At work all females were to be addressed as "Miss so-and-so" and were expected to wear skirts.  I remember only one instance of a woman wearing trousers to work.  A woman in a management job was called a "manageress" (obviously inferior to a manager proper)

But I learned to look at the positive things:  like the fact that buses and trains were widely available and that milk would be delivered to the door every morning.  I'm sure we can all think of many positive things about life in Britain.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

@BostonDiner i get your point, but i don't think just because things are better than they were, that should make me happy. sure, things could be worse but they can also be better. why be miserable when you can be happier somewhere else? if i was single, i'd move, but i have someone else to consider too and getting up and moving is expensive.

and i know i'm being totally negative here, but to be honest, the allure of public transport wears off really fast when you are waiting in the cold for the bus just wanting to go home or when people around you fart (happens ALL the time)

i know and appreciate the good points about england but this is a rant and just need to get it off my chest. and if the positives were so great, i wouldnt feel the way i do. god knows LA isn't perfect AT ALL. but i still had moments were i felt truly happy and felt i was living what life was all about.

like the fact that buses and trains were widely available

British rail we miss you!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

but to be honest, the allure of public transport wears off really fast when you are waiting in the cold for the bus just wanting to go home or when people around you fart (happens ALL the time)

I chant to myself:

"I am doing my part to combat global warming!"

I'm usually freezing when I do this....

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
To be fair, forty years ago the U.S. didn't have Starbucks or Costa either. However, it's definitely true that your mileage may vary. I have never experienced any of the coldness or sexism or crude behaviour that many people on UKY complain about. I often wonder why that is. It feels like the UK I live in isn't even the same planet that others describe. For some people this country is just not the right place, and that's fine, but I hope that even in a rant you can see that so much of your experience depends on individual circumstances.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

@sonofasailor sorry but http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-05-27/london-s-dirty-secret-pollutes-like-beijing-airpocalyse i dont think that public transport is helping much...

@historyenne yes, i'm know i'm being a bit terrible. definitely some people may love it here, but for my own personal preferences, it just doesn't fulfill me. but the anti-americanism and sexist are the parts that really infuriate me tho. but its not like i'm bothered everyday. its just sometimes hard to get away from.

but the anti-americanism and sexist are the parts that really infuriate me tho.

On a serious note, these things exist. Page 3 exists. The Daily Mail's constant "side boob", "upskirt" Benny Hill jiggly peek-a-boo show continues. Some male MPs do little double-handed a$$/breast honk motions towards female MPs when they are speaking. It filters down to street/office level "smile lurv", "get us a cuppa will ya pet" crap. 

@sonofasailor ugh, yes! i get these whispers a lot from guys passing by, the "smile lurv" etc. i guess i'm a bit sensitive too because some of DH's friends will say terrible things in front of me. (tho it makes him mad too and thankfully some of his friends aren't like this at all) but it makes my stomach turn. as @historyenne was saying, some of my issues are personal circumstances. but like i say, it's also at work (former job thank god) not being invited to meetings and hearing men sitting near me saying awful things or watching it on TV. I've turned into a feminist when i didn't know i was one!

don't get me wrong, loads of men can be terrible in the US too, but i think the difference is, it's a lot more unacceptable. women are quick to call out a guy as a creep or jerk. also, personally, none of my guy friends in the US my whole life acted like this. maybe it's the "Lad" culture. i don't know

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab