Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving back to US with British spouse...where to begin?  (Read 4345 times)

• Liked: 31
Re: Moving back to US with British spouse...where to begin?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »
Yep, that's all correct. I was having a slow brain day I think!
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 11:49:52 PM »
Yep, that's all correct. I was having a slow brain day I think!

Thought so. Looks like I'll have to take my chances, and if we decide to move back to the UK in the future, start from scratch with the spouse visa. Alas!

KSand, the US Embassy in London is a USCIS field office. The I-130 gets processed there. Right now, they're taking about six weeks to process.

To answer the questions:
1. No, the I-864 (and I-864a if you're using co-sponsors) is handed in at the interview.
2. Sure! We did.
3. Yes, originals get returned.
4. Photocopies suffice.

Yes, in the UK, ILR is a requirement for naturalization.
We passed a Jessop's yesterday who were equipped to take US-standard visa photos, so we got them professionally done just to be safe. Just thought of something else though...

My passport and BRP are still in my maiden name, which I still go by professionally and on bills and other official correspondence. My passport is quite old though (from 2006) and I do plan on assuming my husband's name at some point, most likely when it expires next year. I don't really have any compelling reasons for not changing it officially, other than I couldn't really be bothered and part of me is indecisive about dropping my last name altogether vs. double-barrelling (yes, even nearly a year and a half after getting married). Maybe it's an identity thing, as the name will likely fade out because it's just my sister and myself, who knows. Anyway, most of the time it doesn't make a difference, but I'm quite nervous that if I put my maiden name instead of married one, then they'll get suspicious. Thoughts?

• Liked: 4
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 02:36:37 AM »
There's nothing to be suspicious of. It makes no difference at all which name you use.

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 04:15:33 AM »
I actually just went through this with my British partner. It actually took us 3 months from the day we sent in our I-130 to the day my partner was approved. So if you have everything in order, it can be much quicker.

Also make sure that you can show you will be reestablishing domicile in the US. That can be buying a house, signing a lease or a job contact. I'm sure there are other ways but those are the ones I can think of. You will have to fill out an address in the US on the I-130 if I remember correctly, so it would be good to at least have an idea of where you might live before you get started. Also, as soon as your I-130 is approved, the petitioner (US Citizen) is free to go back to the US. This is what I did. I came back to reinforce domicile and look for work. This was asked at the interview to my partner. When he stated I was here looking for work, they were fine with that.

Make sure you have also filed taxes for the past 3 years as this will be important. They will want to see your previous years tax transcript or proof that you have filed.

I think the reason it can take like 10 months is people don't have everything sorted before they file and it delays things.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help as we literally just went through this! Good luck!!! :-)
08/2010 - Tier 4 Student Visa Issued
09/2010 - Moved to UK
06/2011 - Met Partner
01/2012 - Tier 1 PSW
12/2013 - Married
01/2014 - FLR(M)

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 12:25:14 PM »
I actually just went through this with my British partner. It actually took us 3 months from the day we sent in our I-130 to the day my partner was approved. So if you have everything in order, it can be much quicker.

Also make sure that you can show you will be reestablishing domicile in the US. That can be buying a house, signing a lease or a job contact. I'm sure there are other ways but those are the ones I can think of. You will have to fill out an address in the US on the I-130 if I remember correctly, so it would be good to at least have an idea of where you might live before you get started. Also, as soon as your I-130 is approved, the petitioner (US Citizen) is free to go back to the US. This is what I did. I came back to reinforce domicile and look for work. This was asked at the interview to my partner. When he stated I was here looking for work, they were fine with that.

Make sure you have also filed taxes for the past 3 years as this will be important. They will want to see your previous years tax transcript or proof that you have filed.

I think the reason it can take like 10 months is people don't have everything sorted before they file and it delays things.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help as we literally just went through this! Good luck!!! :-)

Hi brumstudent, thank you for sharing your experience, hopefully ours will go just as smoothly! I haven't been on the forum in a few weeks so I've just seen your post.

We sent our application out on Monday the 13th of April. When I typed in the tracking number on the Royal Mail website, I found it arrived and was signed for at the consulate on the 14th. Although we haven't received any official email correspondence acknowledging receipt of our application, which it seems some people get, considering the consulate employee's signature and the fact that they've charged our credit card, I think it's safe to assume ours is in the system. The Embassy website says they're currently processing apps from the 18th of March, so it'll probably be at least a few more weeks for our turn. 

We're still not sure if I'm going to return to the US on my own to get things in order first (e.g. place to live, job, etc), and if so, when, but we're traveling stateside later this month for my sister's uni graduation/as a holiday. Hopefully this will give us a bit more clarity about the situation, as we're setting aside some time to look at apartments and start figuring out other logistics...ideal holiday stuff, huh! My dad has been filing my taxes on my behalf since I've been living in the UK, so I'm guessing that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Just a few questions...
1. How did they inform you about the I-130 being approved, was it through snail mail or email?
2. Do you have any recommendations for documents or anything else I should bring back to the UK for the interview (whether it's just him who attends, or both of us), e.g. copies of tax returns? We'll probably have to use my parents as joint sponsors for I-864, which of their financial/tax records will we need to show?
3. Can we submit our police certificate request now, or do we need to wait until we hear if the I-130 has been approved?

Thanks again :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 02:23:20 PM by mle35794 »

Sponsored Links