Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question on application for British Citizenship  (Read 511 times)

• Life is like a tire swing.
  • Liked: 0
Question on application for British Citizenship
« on: March 30, 2015, 06:47:02 PM »
Hello,  I haven't gotten on the forum in such a long time. Hopefully,  someone can help me.  I have finally decided to go for my British citizenship,  and I am feeling rather overwhelmed before I've even started.

One of my biggest question is can I have my (now) married name on my citizenship forms if it doesn't match my US Passport/ILR (which is in my old married name)? Also, if I can, can I use my old married name on UK Passport in order to match? (That's assuming I'm lucky enough to be granted citizenship.)

I mean I know I need to put down all the names I've gone by in my lifetime, but mainly I want to know which name do I use for my citizenship. And will this matter when going for a UK Passport.

I hope this makes more sense to the reader than the writer.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:34:29 PM by georgia »
MOMMA ALWAYS SAID:  "There an awful lot you can tell 'bout a person by their shoes" --- "Where they goin' , Where they been"
"I've worn lots of shoes"   Forrest Gump

"I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floatin' around accidental-like on a breeze. But I, I think maybe it's both."     Forrest Gump

• Liked: 31
Re: Question on application for British Citizenship
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:53:21 AM »
You can use your current married name on your citizenship form regardless of what's in your passport or visa, and you can that name on your UK passport as well. Your UK passport will have to match your naturalisation certificate, so if you then want all your documents to match, you'll need to get a new US passport with your new name. Otherwise, everything has to be in your old name.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

Re:
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34:27 AM »
Thank you for the info. Two choices then, everything in my old name or change my US passport. Decisions, decisions then.
MOMMA ALWAYS SAID:  "There an awful lot you can tell 'bout a person by their shoes" --- "Where they goin' , Where they been"

"I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floatin' around accidental-like on a breeze. But I, I think maybe it's both."     Forrest Gump

• Liked: 223
Re:
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 01:08:58 PM »
You can use your current married name on your citizenship form regardless of what's in your passport or visa, and you can that name on your UK passport as well. Your UK passport will have to match your naturalisation certificate, so if you then want all your documents to match, you'll need to get a new US passport with your new name. Otherwise, everything has to be in your old name.

Thank you for the info. Two choices then, everything in my old name or change my US passport. Decisions, decisions then.

As DrSuperL99 said, you can apply for citizenship in your married name regardless of what's on your US passport. Your marriage certificate shows the name change and that needs to be submitted anyway if you're applying as the spouse of a UKC.

In the first bit of the application, it asks for your name as you want it to be shown on your naturalisation certificate and your birth name (if different). No need to change your US passport to your married name unless you want to anyway.

It's pretty common for people on here to apply for UK citizenship in their married name even though all their official docs (US passport, BRP) are in their maiden name.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 31
Re: Question on application for British Citizenship
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:34:28 PM »
The only issue there could be during travel. Depending on which passport is used for booking, the OP will need to make sure it matches the passport they travel on. This could complicate matters for travelling between the US and UK, where they have to enter the US on the US passport, but will want to enter the UK on the UK passport, and if the names don't match, it could cause problems.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

Re:
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 03:33:14 PM »
Scrap my last comment I just reread what Dr.SuperL99 wrote. Name on UK passport has to match naturalization document.

I will probably go ahead and go for my Naturalization and UK passport in new name, and afterwards have my US passport changed to show my (new) married name.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:14:26 PM by georgia »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab