Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Strange question maybe...cremains?  (Read 1393 times)

• Liked: 0
Strange question maybe...cremains?
« on: April 10, 2015, 08:45:21 PM »
Hello all,

My husband and I are working on moving across to the UK.  I don't know if this is the best forum for this question but I thought I'd start here.  I have the cremains of my beloved Labrador and I am not sure how I would go about bringing them.  We are coming over on the Queen Mary II.  Did anyone else do this? Did you have to ship the cremains via air or were you along to bring aboard? 

Thanks!
Mel

• Liked: 63
Re: Strange question maybe...cremains?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 08:17:47 AM »
We brought our 2 cats on a Delta flight in 2011. DH carried them in hand luggage, carefully 'double bagged' within plastic urns and well padded in the small suitcase. We also had all the paperwork from the crematory. They were with DH the entire time; no checked baggage or gate check.

At the time, we had googled and didn't see any restrictions for transport of pet cremains, only human. We didn't ask Delta specifically, but as there was nothing to literally set off alarms going through security, it all worked out fine.

The best place to start is with the QMII folks. I suspect if all the paperwork is in order, no problems.

Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 08:01:33 PM »
well I called Cunard (Parent Co of Queen Mary II) and they said it was fine, just make sure to pack in your carry on, which after I hung up I realized that she meant on the flight arriving at the port, but she gave me no other info if/what is needed.  I feel pretty sure it will be ok aboard ship but once immigration gets ahold of it...then what? I never even thought to ask that question.  I swear I have made 100 phone calls this week alone on so many different things.  Give me strength!

• Liked: 63
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 07:51:57 AM »
You're over thinking this. It's not an immigration issue - if anything, it would be customs, and customs s only interested in goods where duty/tax is due OR prohibited goods.

Cunard has no issues, so that's the first step taken care of. YOU go through immigration, not your luggage/contents. After clearing immigration, if you have nothing to declare, you go through the 'green'. Just make sure the cremains are securely packed and that you have the certificate from the crematory.

I've googled, and found nothing to indicate that there will be any issues upon arrival in the UK.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »
Ok, fair enough. I did actually mean customs not immigration, though.  I've traveled to the UK many times but only as a visitor and for no longer than 1 month at a time. There are so many things to consider.  I just get overwhelmed and yeah, over thinking is something I do a lot. 

Sponsored Links