Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: getting married on a visitor (tourist) visa  (Read 2439 times)

• Liked: 6
Re: getting married on a visitor (tourist) visa
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 04:25:47 PM »
We had the designated offices before the March 2015 changes. Just didn't have the extended investigation possibility before.

Will she be able to stay in the country if they do extend the waiting time to 70 days instead of the 28 days?

My husband and I just went through the new process and everyone seemed a bit shaky about communication and confirmation from the Home Office.  Since we had the marriage visa we weren't referred, but the staff weren't very confident in their understanding of the new referral scheme.
Online application completed: 15 Jan 2015
Biometrics: 21 Jan 2015
Application posted via UPS Express: 28 Jan 2015
Application received at Sheffield: 30 Jan 2015
Email confirmation: 5 Feb 2015
Email asking for confirmation of return address:  12 Feb 2015
Visa decision: 13 Feb 2015
Visa received: 16 Feb 2015
Flight Booked:  26 Feb 2015
Arrived in UK: 28 Feb 2015
Married:  27 Apr 2015
FLR (M):  29 May 2015

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »
Will she be able to stay in the country if they do extend the waiting time to 70 days instead of the 28 days?

My husband and I just went through the new process and everyone seemed a bit shaky about communication and confirmation from the Home Office.  Since we had the marriage visa we weren't referred, but the staff weren't very confident in their understanding of the new referral scheme.

She will, yes. I warned them about the possible 70 days so they went to the registrar almost exactly 70 days before the July date they'd set for the wedding. Her visa expires sometime in the first half of September. That's the thing, their case will definitely be referred. We just don't know what will happen next, whether the HO will find reason to investigate or not. Who knows how far they dig when making that decision.

I imagine communications are shaky since this is all new to everyone. Their registrar told them that everything should be fine, and possibly even told them she'd be able to extend her tourist visa. The couple don't speak the UKVI language yet so it's hard to tell what's going on. I've mentioned that registrars aren't required to know every detail of immigration law, but people hear what they want to hear. :)
Achievement unlocked! British citizen since 2011.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 11:19:54 AM »
I arrived on a spousal visa last May and was wondering when someone mentioned about an NHS fee. I began working in July and have had to pay my NHS insurance straight away but should I pay the fee as well? It was never mentioned to me.
Apr 2010 First visit to the UK
Oct 2010 We were married
May 05 2014 Received 1st FLR (M)
May 27, 2014 Landed in the UK
July 25,2014 Started Working
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 12:21:48 PM »
You will pay when you renew your visa.  The fee was introduced in April and is for applications submitted since then.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »
Ah! So even tho I'm working and paying into it monthly I'll still have to pay until I'm able to get my citizenship? One more fee to save for! Thank you KFdancer :)
Oct 2010 We were married
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

• Liked: 342
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »
I began working in July and have had to pay my NHS insurance straight away

We don't pay an NHS fee. Do you mean the NICs people pay when they earn over £156(?) per week?

The NICs go towards a UK state pension, presently 10 tax years to qualify for the minimum state pension and 35 tax years for a full UK state pension. UK state pensions will only be paid out based your own NICs. Being in receipt of a UK state pension will mean that if you decide to retire to another EEA country, the UK will meet all your health bills in that country to save you having to buy health insurance to pay your bills. That being in receipt of a UK state pension will also mean that if you live in the EEA and would prefer to have treatment in the UK, you can pop back to the UK for free use of the NHS. That's the only connection NICs have to using the NHS.

Type 1 NICS payers can claim contribution based benefits, provided we paid them for the previous two relevant tax years.

The money for the NHS comes out of general taxation. Being able to use the full National Health Service for free has nothing to do with paying taxes or NICs to the UK. Even some born and bred Brits aren't allowed to use their own health service for free. Some immigrants who work and pay taxes in the UK are not allowed to use the NHS for free and nor will these people be allowed to buy this £200 a year Immigration Health Surcharge which also covers existing conditions. These people have to buy their own full health insurance to meet the NHS bills of themselves and their family.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 03:23:37 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 533
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 03:23:17 PM »

The money for the NHS comes out of general taxation. Being able to use the full National Health Service for free has nothing to do with paying taxes or NICs to the UK. Even some Brits aren't allowed to use their own health service for free. Some immigrants who work and pay taxes in the UK are not allowed to use the NHS for free and are not allowed to buy this £200 a year Immigration Health Surcharge which also covers existing conditions and they have to buy their own full health insurance to pay their NHS bills.

Mrs. Roberts never mentioned NICs. If she works, she pays taxes (in all likelihood) so she contributes already to the cost of the NHS.

You are correct in that the NHS was never intended to be associated at all with the payment of any sort of tax. The Atlee Government saw to it that it was to be there for anyone with need.

Sadly the abysmal level of funding from this Government, along with short-sighted cuts in community provisions which have had terrible knock-on effects for the NHS, are making it increasingly possible that Bevan's great project will be destroyed. It is their goal.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2015, 03:35:46 PM »
Thank you sonofasailor. What I was asking about was the answer Lyonaria provided that said along with your visa fee there is also an added NHS levy. I do pay taxes as well as NHI so my question was: since I'm currently paying into the NHS via employment do I still need to pay the NHS levy when I apply for FLR (M)?
Oct 2010 We were married
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 03:49:02 PM »
Thank you sonofasailor. What I was asking about was the answer Lyonaria provided that said along with your visa fee there is also an added NHS levy. I do pay taxes as well as NHI so my question was: since I'm currently paying into the NHS via employment do I still need to pay the NHS levy when I apply for FLR (M)?

And the answer is yes - even if you are contributing to the NHS, whether you pay the NHS levy depends on your visa application, not on your work status. So from April 6th 2015, every single person who applies for a visa valid more than 6 months will be charged the NHS levy regardless (there are a few exceptions, but for the most part most visa holders will pay it).

• Liked: 342
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 04:19:49 PM »
And the answer is yes - even if you are contributing to the NHS, whether you pay the NHS levy depends on your visa application, not on your work status. So from April 6th 2015, every single person who applies for a visa valid more than 6 months will be charged the NHS levy regardless (there are a few exceptions, but for the most part most visa holders will pay it).

Up to ILR, when they can then have access to the full NHS and without having to pay the IHS.

Those on an EU route to the UK won't be offered this IHS and many will have to finance their own NHS bills. I was wondering who will pay the healthcare bills of  those who enter the UK under Singh???
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 04:22:13 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 533
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 11:24:09 AM »
"Last year, the Government shelved a suggestion for charging non-EEA migrants a £200-500 levy upon entry to the UK, or when they went to renew their visa, after admitting it would probably cost more in administration costs than it would recover in charges."

But yes they went ahead with it, even though it will actually draw money out of the ailing NHS. Do they teach basic maths at Oxford?

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/home/finance-and-practice-life-news/gps-to-conduct-nationality-checks-in-all-new-patients-under-health-tourism-crackdown/20009100.article?MsgId=44387#.VUSkZvm6eUl

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 11:37:16 AM »

Hello! Sorry, I haven't been on the board for a few days I just started a new job this week and have been fighting with a migraine the entire time.

I see your questions was already answered by ksand, she sure knows her stuff. I'm in the same boat of having to pay for the NHS levy on my next application, whoo!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 12:24:02 PM »
Yes my question has been answered, thank you!!
I too am celebrating a year here this month!!
Oct 2010 We were married
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

• Liked: 537
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 04:03:18 PM »
Yes my question has been answered, thank you!!
I too am celebrating a year here this month!!

Nice! My one year was back in February, I hadn't updated anything in awhile. haha. Congrats on your 1 year in the UK!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 04:51:26 PM »
I came on a fiance visa and then went to FLR (M). Luckily I got that application in just before this new levy. I filed my application the last week of February and was granted my new status in March. It's not an easy process as wee all know. I know how it feels to want to be there with your person right then, but we all have had to go through the process the legal way. Unfortunately, your friend will have to do the same thing. So even if she is allowed to marry on the visitor visa, she will have to return to the US. I would just strongly point out that overstaying can have bad consequences and would she really want to be banned for the 10 years from coming into the UK. A couple of months will be better than a decade. But they can begin  to gather the information to they will need to submit their application. I do hope they do not get bad advice that makes them think she will be able to continue one here, even if they do get married. I would hate for them to suffer the legal consequences as well as the financial consequences. If she doesn't believe you, send her to the forum. I hope you succeed in helping them. :)
Online Application: July 24, 2014 Fiance-Priority
Biometrics: July 29, 2014
Packet mailed to fiance: July 29, 2014
Fiance Received Packet: July 31, 2014
* Had to wait for final bank statements for fiance.
Papers Received and Packet Mail to Sheffield: Aug 2, 2014
Sheffield Received: Aug 5, 2014
Additional Information requested: Aug 5, 2014
Decision Made Email: Aug 26, 2014
Visa Received by Mail: N/A

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab