Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do I need to submit VAF 4A if I applied online from the US  (Read 557 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello Everyone! This is my first post here. I have read the guidelines prior to posting, but I apologize if this question is obvious!

Some background info: my husband is Scottish, lives in Edinburgh. We got married in the US in April, and he went back to Scotland. I am here in the US still, applying for my Settlement - Wife visa, to join him in Edinburgh. I have applied online and signed it digitally. Paid the Health surcharge thingie and the visa application fee. Next step is to get a passport photo taken and my biometrics appointment is on June 4, although I may try to move that up.

My question surrounds supporting documentation. Since I applied online and printed it out, do I still need to fill out the VAF 4A form? It seems that I don't, but the language on the UK immigration site is so slippery. I do know that I have to fill out VAF 4A Appendix 2 to supply my and his financial details -- correct?

One other piece of supporting documentation that I am really unhappy about is the "evidence of current employment." They want something on an official letterhead. Finding out about this today has been an unpleasant shock. The thing is, I REALLY don't want to let my employer know that I'm leaving. I am worried that they would make me resign if that happened. I have been evasive when people ask what my husband and I are planning on doing post-wedding. If they assumed my husband was coming to live over here in the US first, I didn't correct them. That was because I didn't want to put my job at risk. Why aren't payslips enough evidence? Would it be considered bad if I didn't provide an employee letter, but sent payslips instead? My husband makes more than enough to meet the financial requirement (over 50K GBP), and he will have to support me anyway as I'm quitting my job to join him. Although I will be job searching there at first opportunity.
I appreciate any advice the community here can offer!!!   :)
April 2015: married
May 2015: submitted online application, set biometric appointment, realized we needed more time to gather paperwork which would exceed 30 days, freaked out, canceled applications, waited for refunds
June 25: submitted online application again
July 2: attended biometrics
July 6: package mailed to Sheffield with priority
July 8: package delivered to Sheffield
July 10: received acknowledgment email from Sheffield
July 12: received "decision has been made" email from Sheffield
July 15: passport returned by post with 30-day visa

• Liked: 4985
Re: Do I need to submit VAF 4A if I applied online from the US
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 07:39:28 AM »
You do not need to provide your employment information.  It won't be considered so just leave it blank.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 02:26:19 PM »
Thanks, KFdancer! I still need to read through the Appendix 2 form thoroughly, but that helps put my mind at ease. Just to confirm, does anyone know for sure that I don't need to fill out the base VAF 4A form if I applied online from the U.S.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May 2015: submitted online application, set biometric appointment, realized we needed more time to gather paperwork which would exceed 30 days, freaked out, canceled applications, waited for refunds

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »
No, you don't fill it out.  You've completed it online. (along with the paper version of Appendix 2).

Definitely get working on the Appendix.  It's the crux of the application.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 05:01:24 PM »
Thanks again. I have started to fill it out, but already the financial stuff is tripping me up. My husband works for himself under a limited company, but works under contract to another company. For question 3.3 in the appendix 2, I am going to select "Income from salaried employment in the UK," but then it asks whether he's Category A or Category B. I can't find any guidance on what defines these categories; it doesn't state what they are in the guidance notes for the appendix. I did skip ahead to 3.12 and 3.13 and it seems to define them there, but it seems very strange that they ask for you to choose the category in an earlier section without properly defining said categories. Is it right that I just needed to skip ahead to find out what these categories are? I'm just paranoid that I'm missing something obvious.

Counterintuitive, to say the least. I apologize for my ramblings. I appreciate your responses thus far, KFdancer.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »
Actually, question above might be moot. Since he has a limited company I think he will meet the financial requirement by selecting "Income from self-employment" at section 3.3. And then completing Section 3C. I hope.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 02:22:03 PM »
Belated thanks - again! That was very helpful.

Sponsored Links