Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Teeth grinding, anyone?  (Read 947 times)

• Liked: 387
Teeth grinding, anyone?
« on: May 16, 2015, 04:33:37 PM »
Has anyone had problems with teeth grinding at night?

DH has mentioned I do this, and my dentist has said it's quite pronounced on my teeth in that I'm slowly wearing them down.  I've seen mouth guards at Boots that you can form and wear at night; has anyone tried them and have they been beneficial?  I can get a personalized mouth guard through my dentist, but it's £220.  I'm wondering if it's worth it to give the Boots one a try first.

• Liked: 12
Re: Teeth grinding, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 03:35:02 PM »
Ive only used a dentist custom made one and it works pretty well.

Friend of mine does by "make your own" and says he bites right through them.

Cost though for the dentist made one is pretty standard - i paid about the same. Cursed i couldnt get the nhs to fund one but i guess not everything can be free!

• Liked: 223
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 06:24:21 PM »
I had a mouth guard made for me by my dentist in the US.

It was so incredibly uncomfortable that I couldn't sleep. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it over time but I couldn't bear it so I stopped using it.

I tried a pharmacy mold-your-own but that was even more uncomfortable.

I think I only grind my teeth when I'm stressed so it's not a big problem for me and my dentist here in the UK hasn't said anything about it.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 387
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »
Hmm, sounds like either way, it might be uncomfortable.  Maybe I'll just go with the £30-ish Boots DIY one.  Or at least try it first and see how it goes.

I never really noticed it myself, but my dentist brought it up.  I guess it's quite significant when it can get noticed upon checkup.  When I mentioned it to DH, he said it's really obvious when I'm asleep and he's awake, and he thought I had known. 

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 07:47:25 PM »
I have a dentist-made night guard  (from South Korea when I was living there). I absolutely recommend getting a professionally made one if you can afford it. They are made specifically for grinding your teeth at night. Now I cannot sleep without mine now because the thought of my teeth grinding on each makes me anxious!

Mine is a 5+ years old now and I need to get another one made from the dentist here. Not looking forward to the bill, so I feel your pain!
Aug. 2010 - Met husband to be while teaching English at the same school in South Korea
Jul. 2012 - Moved to Guernsey, Channel Islands on a fiancé visa
Aug. 2012 - Got married! FLR granted
Aug. 2014 - ILR granted
Aug. 2015 - Applying for citizenship

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »
If you have any plans to be pregnant, you should be able to get a custom one made for free while you are covered under the pregnancy NHS dental.  I don't grind, but clench, and a mouth guard is recommended. I never bothered because of the expense , but my dentist all but forced me to get one made when I was pregnant cause it was free.

Sponsored Links