Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: PBS America Has Gone Downhill!!  (Read 1842 times)

• Liked: 0
PBS America Has Gone Downhill!!
« on: June 06, 2015, 01:14:06 PM »
I was so elated when PBS America started up over here, and , although it wasnt the PBS I knew and loved when I lived in the USA, it was a breath of fresh air for UK TV, as it did show a few programmes that I used to watch on PBS in the USA, so it was a kind of trip down memory lane as well as reminding me of my time over there!! But now, fast forward 4 years and it has gone downhill very fast!! All it shows now is war documentaries(it might as well rename itself as The War Documentary Channel) and its constantly repeating programmes that I have seen time and time again. How many times can we see documentary series such as The West, Prohibition, The Italian Americans, Alcatraz, JFK: Eyewitness To History, Pioneers of Television series and all the other documentaries on constant repeat??

In my opinion, it needs a massive overhaul and revamping if it is to continue broadcasting over here!!

• Liked: 533
Re: PBS America Has Gone Downhill!!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 04:25:54 PM »
I was so elated when PBS America started up over here, and , although it wasnt the PBS I knew and loved when I lived in the USA, it was a breath of fresh air for UK TV, as it did show a few programmes that I used to watch on PBS in the USA, so it was a kind of trip down memory lane as well as reminding me of my time over there!! But now, fast forward 4 years and it has gone downhill very fast!! All it shows now is war documentaries(it might as well rename itself as The War Documentary Channel) and its constantly repeating programmes that I have seen time and time again. How many times can we see documentary series such as The West, Prohibition, The Italian Americans, Alcatraz, JFK: Eyewitness To History, Pioneers of Television series and all the other documentaries on constant repeat??

In my opinion, it needs a massive overhaul and revamping if it is to continue broadcasting over here!!

I saw a bit of the original Ken Jones Civil War documentary recently, and it struck me that it must have been pretty inexpensive to produce. A typical scene is an old faded photo of say Grant standing in front of a tent with the narrator reading a letter from him to Lincoln. There would be a slow zoom into the photo. Then maybe a static map of the battle of Antietam with a historian giving a description. Good stuff, mind you, but not building a set or anything.

History thingies are probably pretty cost effective.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 04:38:03 PM »
PBS America used to show Americas Test Kitchen, PBS Newshour and it even showed This Week With Charlie Rose for all of 2 months!!! Even Americas Antiques Roadshow is gradually getting less and less!!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 05:25:19 PM »
I saw a bit of the original Ken Jones Civil War documentary recently, and it struck me that it must have been pretty inexpensive to produce. A typical scene is an old faded photo of say Grant standing in front of a tent with the narrator reading a letter from him to Lincoln. There would be a slow zoom into the photo. Then maybe a static map of the battle of Antietam with a historian giving a description. Good stuff, mind you, but not building a set or anything.

History thingies are probably pretty cost effective.

Ken Burns?  The Civil War is a fantastic documentary, as is the Baseball one.  I loved watching the Roosevelts (even mentioned one of my ancestors, wooo)!  Haven't been that impressed by the selection on PBS America, though. 
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 12
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 07:36:41 AM »
Sort of the same syndrome as with BBC America.  Commercials for one thing in both cases.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 533
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 10:27:04 AM »
Ken Burns?  The Civil War is a fantastic documentary, as is the Baseball one.  I loved watching the Roosevelts (even mentioned one of my ancestors, wooo)!  Haven't been that impressed by the selection on PBS America, though.

Yes! Burns! I think Ken Jones was my 9th grade PE teacher...

No, I love the Civil War one. Didn't mean any negativeness at all. For one thing it has the great Shelby Foote in it....he sparkles every time he is on the screen.

Mr. Foote certainly influenced the way I as a southerner view that period of history. In Burn's documentary he says, and I think he is actually even underplaying this a bit, that the North fought the War with one hand intentionally tied behind its back. The South suffered terribly as a result of the War, but certainly had Lincoln really wanted to, he could have depopulated the South.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 134
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 06:04:53 PM »
Yes! Burns! I think Ken Jones was my 9th grade PE teacher...

No, I love the Civil War one. Didn't mean any negativeness at all. For one thing it has the great Shelby Foote in it....he sparkles every time he is on the screen.

Mr. Foote certainly influenced the way I as a southerner view that period of history. In Burn's documentary he says, and I think he is actually even underplaying this a bit, that the North fought the War with one hand intentionally tied behind its back. The South suffered terribly as a result of the War, but certainly had Lincoln really wanted to, he could have depopulated the South.

I think I cried when Shelby Foote died.  He makes that whole documentary.  The music is also fantastic.  I can't listen to Ashokan Farewell without tearing up.

It is kind of astounding that the South was able to last 4 years against the North.  I think Lincoln admired the Southern spirit, especially because he knew that the North could outlast the Confederacy logistically.  His ultimate goal, however, was to reunite and preserve the union so the last thing he wanted to do was wipe the South off the map.  (I typed that in Foote's drawl).
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

Sponsored Links