Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Applying for Fiancé Visa  (Read 1424 times)

• Liked: 1
Applying for Fiancé Visa
« on: June 17, 2015, 11:15:41 AM »
Ok so, I'm originally from the US. Currently I'm in London for 6 months visiting my girlfriend. But I think it's solidified now that we plan to get married. I've asked around here in the forums before but still don't feel like I've got a definite answer to the question: "how exactly do I go through the process of applying for a fiancé visa?" As in every single step and every shred of paperwork I have to fill out, And exactly what evidence is needed.

Also too, I've been made aware that I can't apply for the visa here in the UK and that I'll have to go back to the US. I'm from California but I flew to London from New York.. Honestly, I'd really hate to drag my ass all the way back to Cali. My question Is... Can I just apply from New York? Or does it have to be from my exact birthplace? Thanks in advance ppl :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:17:33 AM by ForeignBandz »
The power of the people is always stronger than the people in power.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Applying for Fiancé Visa
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 12:39:04 PM »
Ok so, I'm originally from the US. Currently I'm in London for 6 months visiting my girlfriend. But I think it's solidified now that we plan to get married. I've asked around here in the forums before but still don't feel like I've got a definite answer to the question: "how exactly do I go through the process of applying for a fiancé visa?" As in every single step and every shred of paperwork I have to fill out, And exactly what evidence is needed.

Also too, I've been made aware that I can't apply for the visa here in the UK and that I'll have to go back to the US. I'm from California but I flew to London from New York.. Honestly, I'd really hate to drag my ass all the way back to Cali. My question Is... Can I just apply from New York? Or does it have to be from my exact birthplace? Thanks in advance ppl :)

You'll need to do a bit of research into how you'll qualify for a fiancé visa to "get a list", as it will depend on your individual circumstances and what category you apply under.  Everyone is a bit different.

The basics are the financial requirements (proof that your fiancé makes more than £18,600 a year), accommodation requirement (proof that your fiancé has somewhere for you to live), and the relationship evidence (proof that you have plans to marry within 6 months and that your relationship is genuine).  What you use to prove each of those categories is dependent on your personal circumstances.

You need to return to your residence to apply.  Where is your house/apartment?  That's where you apply from.  If you live in NY, apply from there.  If you live in California, apply from there.  You don't apply from where you were born...

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 02:49:04 PM »
What if I technically don't have a physical address in the US? Can I just set up a P.O box or something?

• Liked: 342
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 02:58:40 PM »
What if I technically don't have a physical address in the US? Can I just set up a P.O box or something?

Use the US address you will be returning home to when your UK visitor visa expires.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 03:53:08 PM »
Also, When I go back to apply for the visa.. Do I need to have her with me?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »
Also, When I go back to apply for the visa.. Do I need to have her with me?

Nope.  You will need lots of supporting paperwork from her though.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 10:21:21 AM »
Thanks much KFdancer

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 01:30:50 AM »
Hey friend,
I'm currently awaiting response to my application for a marriage visa which I applied for in April.. Buckle up and prepare yourself is my advice. Also. Make sure you triple check your application packet before you send it. If anything is missing you're going to get delayed. And if you have any pending traffic violations you'll be delayed even if you pay priority..

Good luck

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 05:53:41 AM »
Don't mean to hijack or anything but I might be in a similar boat. I work remotely but my last residence (almost 10 yrs ago) in the U.S. was in CA, but don't really have a home.  If I could I'd wait for the visa in NY. Could I use a  local friend's address?

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 07:24:27 AM »
Don't mean to hijack or anything but I might be in a similar boat. I work remotely but my last residence (almost 10 yrs ago) in the U.S. was in CA, but don't really have a home.  If I could I'd wait for the visa in NY. Could I use a  local friend's address?

You can use any address for correspondence on the application, but you just need to make sure you will be physically at the address in order to sign for the visa when it is shipped back to you.

You mentioned that you work remotely - where do you currently live? If you have legal residency in another country (i.e. a visa to live and work there), you can apply for your visa from that country.

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 04:46:35 PM »
Don't have an established residence anywhere. I was living in the UK for 6 years until last year and went back to CA to crash at my brother's place initially, and as I'm a citizen I can live here legally but other than my brother who has his own life and an estranged father,  I have no ties here. I'm working remotely while I decide what to do next and where, though my British partner is suggesting we marry or at least get engaged so I could return to England. We meet half way in NYC, so I thought I could also wait there for a visa should we decide to apply.   

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 01:13:08 AM »
If you are going to go NYC, using a licensed visa agent can definitely help in expediting the process.  My daughter applied for her student visa and literally had it in hand in 3 business days.  Granted, a student visa is much less complicated, but time is time.  In that case the agent physically drops the visa off and picks it up at the consulate.  You don't have to apply from any specific address in the US, just in the US.  An email and phone number are the most important thing.   

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 03:09:14 AM »
Excellent idea but is the applicant not allowed to collect it from the consulate? I'd be spending my days just waiting for the visa anyway. 

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 06:10:01 AM »
If you are going to go NYC, using a licensed visa agent can definitely help in expediting the process.  My daughter applied for her student visa and literally had it in hand in 3 business days.  Granted, a student visa is much less complicated, but time is time.  In that case the agent physically drops the visa off and picks it up at the consulate.  You don't have to apply from any specific address in the US, just in the US.  An email and phone number are the most important thing.   

Umm, this is very out of date information and is no longer applicable, since visa agents haven't been allowed to expedite visas since June 2010.

Visa agents can still deliver your application, but they can't speed it up, so you use one now, it's really just a waste of money because you are only paying for a glorified delivery service that doesn't speed up the processing time at all. You might as well save the money and just mail it yourself.

The only way to get a visa application processed faster is to purchase Priority Processing from the VFS Global website.

The Priority Processing Service is offered by UKVI and it involves them putting your application to the front of the visa processing line after it has arrived at the consulate so it is processed faster. A visa agent has nothing to do with this, they just deliver the package, so you would still have to purchase the priority processing as well if you wanted the visa processed quickly.

Also, most of the people posting on this thread are applying for fiance visas, which aren't even processed in NYC anyway. Fiance and spousal visa applications have to be mailed to Sheffield in the UK for processing and so visa agents are irrelevant because they can only deliver to NYC.

There are 3 types of priority processing service offered by UKVI through the VFS Global website:

Priority Processing: For all applications processed in NYC, not including settlement (fiance/spousal) visas which are processed in Sheffield. Cost $187.

Settlement Priority Processing: Only for settlement (fiance/spousal) applications, which are processed in Sheffield, UK. Cost $562

Super Priority Processing: Only for applications processed in NYC (not settlement applications), Same-day, in-person processing, where you pick up the passport the next day. Cost $936.

See here: http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/usa/user_pay_services.html

Excellent idea but is the applicant not allowed to collect it from the consulate? I'd be spending my days just waiting for the visa anyway. 

As just mentioned, the information above is very out of date.

If you are applying for a fiance or spousal visa, the application has to be mailed to Sheffield, UK for processing, so being in NYC makes no difference at all - you still have to wait for the visa to be mailed back to you at your US address by courier from the UK.

If you are applying for a marriage visitor visa, you send it to NYC, but it cannot be picked up in person by the applicant, it can only be mailed, as no one is allowed to go to the consulate in person unless they have an appointment. The only way to do it in person is if you pay the extra $936 for Super Priority Processing where you go for an appointment and the visa decision is made that day.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 09:19:16 AM »
As you're already in the UK, have you thought about marrying now, before you leave, that way you can apply for a spousal visa upon your return to the USA.

One less visa, one less fee.

Sponsored Links